Chapter 29- Grief

I could tell I was at the hospital before I even opened my eyes

I could tell I was at the hospital before I even opened my eyes. The smell and general atmosphere made me feel weak. I was sure I that I was actually weak though. I was shot!

Oh, God! Mom? What happened after he shot me? Is she okay? Is Eli?!

I opened my eyes to see Eli asleep on the chair next to me. Thank God, he was fine. But he didn't seem to want to wake up, no matter how many times I called him, or tried to. He must not have left my side. His normal stubble was several days worth longer. Plus the bags under his eyes were... well he looked like a racoon. I wondered how long I'd been out. I didn't even feel pain, it was probably from the meds being pumped into me.

I was in desperately in need of water! My mouth was insanely dry. I sat up and find the nurse call button. Wait? Should I be able to sit up already? And no pain? So I started searching for the bullet wound. Nothing. What?

The nurse came in and beamed me a smile. Before she held up a finger to signal for me to wait a sec, where exactly did she think I was going to go?

She came back a minute later with a doctor in tow, plus a huge water jug. I was sure I'd need five of those!

"Ms. Stratton, I'm Doctor Michaels, and this is your nurse Maggie. Do you know what happened to you?"

After downing a good chugs of the gallon sized (not really) water bottle, I was able to actually speak. It still came out in a rasp, but I was just happy to be alive. So I could deal with a little dry throat.

"Well, I was shot, or so it seemed. I haven't been able to find a wound."

The doctor and nurse exchanged a look, what it meant was beyond me. Then the doctor flipped through his chart and asked me to excuse him for just a few minutes. The nurse asked if I was hungry, and that's all it took for my stomach to wake up, mad at me no less. So she gave me a menu, and from my brief stay here once before, the food wasn't as terrible as many other hospitals I'd been in.

After explaining my allergies and ordering the pulled pork sandwich, I looked back at Eli. He must have lost a lot of sleep! He'd not usually this difficult to wake up.

I began to wonder what day it was. I knew surgery patients can be out for up to a week, depending on the severity of the trauma. But since I had yet to confirm anything, besides Eli being okay, I seriously needed answers.

I looked around for my phone, I had to call my Mom! I couldn't believe Paul would use her! What the hell was he thinking?!

I found my phone on the nightstand, next to his. It had a full charge and I silently thanked God for giving him the foresight to keep it that way.