Chapter 32- Free

I was both confused and glad to see my mom here

I was both confused and glad to see my mom here. I honestly had no idea why she was here, but it was comforting.

Not that we have a perfect relationship, I just knew that after what happened to Yvonne, I couldn't hold on to old grudges. I didn't want to.

For the longest time I felt like she was weak. She was always the follower, never the leader. She allowed my father to beat on us in the name of God,  and went along with everything he said or did. She made us feel secondary to being successful.

To her, success was being an obedient wife. Not a good mother.

But I was done being vindictive and mean. I was done blaming her, I was even done hating my father.

That was a huge weight of my chest!

I wasn't going to spend my life living in the past. I needed to move on.

"Hey, Ma. I'm really glad you came."

"Really? Well....."

I knew she was thrown off by what I said. I don't know if I've ever said that to her. Well, maybe as a small kid, but even then I couldn't be sure.

"Yeah, I'm sorry I've been distant, but I hope to change that."

Oh shit, she was crying!

"Oh honey! I'm just so happy to hear you say that."

I reached for a napkin from the holder and handed it to her. I had originally thought I'd just get a coffee, but my stomach had other ideas. I needed food, and CeCe needed rest.

I heard a notification that I had a text. My phone was in my front pocket, so when I stood, Ma thought I was leaving.

"Oh sweetie, I'm sorry I'm getting so emotional. Don't go, please!"

"I'm just getting my phone out."

She looked embarrassed, but it was kind of humorous. I hadn't laughed much this past week. Well, other than at Meg, her personality definitely makes things lighter.

The text was from CeCe. They were releasing her!

"Ma, sorry, but I actually do have to go. They're letting CeCe out and I need to take her home."

"She's living with you?"

"Yeah, why?"

"You know how I feel about living in sin, dear."