31

16 YEARS AGO

"Papa, why won't mommy get  out of bed?" Young Jungkook tilted his head. He had tried to shake his groaning mother awake multiple times, but she just wouldn't budge on her own.

Jungkook's father sighed before lowering himself to reach his son's eyes. "Jungkook, mommy is sick. So what you need to do is leave her alone so she can rest."

Jungkook asked so he could get clarification, but confusion ended up magnifying greatly in his mind. Jungkook knee for a fact that even sick, his mother would always be up to make sure he had everything ready for school. Food, his ironed uniform, his goodbye kiss.

He only really wanted a goodbye kiss.

He wanted to ask more questions, but his father already had tears brimming in his eyes. So Jungkook decided against it. He wasn't good with tears.

His father finally broke the silence by clearing his throat. "Now get yourself together and go before you miss the bus."

Jungkook nodded. That's all he could do at this point.

But he wanted to do more.

He knew he wasn't the best around crying people. But this was his beloved father. So he gathered his strength and spoke up.

"Papa, I will use my superpowers and make mama better, don't worry! She'll be healthy in no time." He smiled widely, the biggest smile he could summon. And with those same smiling lips, he kissed his chuckling father's cheek. He then ran off to his bus stop.

He spent the rest of the day freaking out because he didn't think he was strong enough to make his mother better.

****

"PAPA. PAPA!" Jungkook was more than excited as he busted into his home. Throwing his book bag beside the door and running to the living room as he yelled. "IS MOM BETTER?! I WAS FOCUSING REALLY HARD ON MY POWERS TO MAKE HER...." His voice gradually softened before seizing upon seeing two men with a stretcher. "Better..." he finished his thought, knowing that the answer was right on front of him.

The stretcher had a body on top, fully covered by a white blanket. His eyes traveled further behind to see his father sobbing on the bed.

"What..." he couldn't focus on anything specific. He knew that if he set in his mind what is happening, he wouldn't be able to recover.

The men held agonizing looks as they walked past him. One went as far as to patting Jungkook's shoulder. "I'm very sorry kid." He mumbled. They then left. With his mother.

"Papa... what..."

His father looked up. His eyes red and the tears just couldn't stop.

"It's okay Jungkook." He sniffled. "We'll get through this son, I promise."

"But papa..." Jungkook's lips wobbled, he was reaching closer to the inevitable truth. "B-but I t-thought I healed her!" He slammed his hand against his eye, aggressively wiping a tear. He then used the same hand to hit his head repeatedly.

"Stupid. Stupid. You weren't strong enough!"

Jungkook's father sighed. He stood up and walked towards his son. Grabbing his hand, he lowered it as well as himself. "You couldn't have healed her Jungkook. It's not your fault at all. It was just her time to go."