Chapter 1: Dawns first light

Soma's POV

The huge, lion-like vajra pounced, and I waited, arms outstretched, face defiantly gazing at my imminent death.

Sorry dad, but I won't be your pawn.

I smirked as the vajra sailed towards me; but that was when I noticed it. A brilliant light hurtling through the sky; straight towards the vajra.

As the monster was about to land, it was beaten to it by the falling light, which crashed into the snow in a blinding flash.

What the hell!

The vajra roared in pain, and as my eyes slowly recovered from the temporary blind, I stared, open mouthed at the fallen star.

Not a star, but... AN ANGEL!?

A girl knelt in a battle crouch between me and the vajra, snow swirling up around her as she slowly stood. A silver dress fell about her in folds to her knees, swaying as though in water,  reflecting an eerie, shadowy light, as though under the moon.

Her chestnut brown hair rippled down just below her shoulders, where I met an astonishing sight.

Huge feathered wings spread out from her back, soft, tufty feathers layered for about a meter either side of her. Her left wing matched the pearly white of the snow, radiating with the bright glow of the sun, while her right was a shadowy black, an eerie purple-grey aura surrounding it.

"What in hell..." he swore softly to himself. Was this some extreme after effect of losing his vision?

The vajra shook itself, growling angrily as it began to regain its vision. No doubt it would soon launch an attack on him and the angel.

"Hey..." He glanced up at the divine being before him, who had turned her head slightly in his direction to speak to him, "You okay?"

He just stared at her in shock, his legs rooted to the spot. Just what the hell was this girl?

She sniggered at his face and turned fully to face him, ignoring the aragami who was prowling confused behind her. "Guess that was a stupid question, huh." she scratched her head, then frowned back at the vajra and gave a rueful smile.

"I'd better finish what I started here, just stay here and you should be fine." She raised her right hand and the air around her palm began to glow. Immediately, a sword materialised in her hand; she was holding the hilt of a longsword.

Maybe I got nocked out by the vajra. He groaned softly as he brought his hand to his face. Wake up, god damn it.

The girls expression softened as she looked back at the boy. Poor guy...

"Alright! Time for this kitty to die!"