Chapter 21: Loneliest of all

To Blood-light, for agreeing that Artemis is definitely the coolest ancient goddess.

Linking into the video, RWBY, the anime this beautiful trailer is of, is about girls training to be (not Artemis') huntresses. I get shivers from the singing.

Sakuya's POV

The team were late back. Very late. I sat on a sofa in the lobby, staring at the door, waiting for Lindow to turn up. Waiting for his idiotic grin to grace these halls.

Oh, and I was waiting for Lupa and Kanon, of course. Soma was leant against a wall, waiting for Lupa as well.

Though he would never admit it, he had developed an almost brotherly side when it came to Lupa. Take what was happening now, for example.

"God it's crowded in here." A blondie wearing black cat ears came in, and sat cross legged on the floor. "That monster is way more trouble than it's worth."

Soma glanced at her and glowered. She was a new rookie, so it wasn't her place to speak out. Especially not to call people monsters.

"You've never even met her."

She smirked at him. "Oh, so it speaks." she strutted over, hand on hip. "The Death god of Fenrir. How fitting. And I assume you know her truly?"

"I know enough to say she isn't a monster." he growled.

"As a monster yourself, I'll just ignore your views." she waved him off submissively.

Soma an annoyed "Tch." before turning away, glaring at the entrance. I smiled at him slightly. He was quick to defend Lupa, but wouldn't deny being a monster himself.

It was kind of sad, really.

My trail of thought was broken by a loud "Hey!" from the entrance. I hopped off the sofa to greet Lindow and the others. Lupa looked depressed.

Soma seemed to notice and stood up, shuffling over to our group. "How did the mission go?" I asked eagerly.

Lindow grinned idiotically. "It went great due to some awesome teamwork from these two. Kanon was amazing at shooting, right Lupa?"

Lupa was looking distant still. Kanon elbowed her. "W-what?" Wow, she was seriously out of it.

The rude girl came strolling over casually. Her black gothic dress and thigh high tights emphasised her dark, cold eyes. "Just saying how annoying it is for a team to arrive back half an hour late."

I was irritated by the cheek of the girl. Lindow frowned. "Erm...you're the new rookie, right?"

"Ri." she nodded. Her eyes bored into Lupa's. "I wonder whose fault it was you were back late? A monster on the rampage, perhaps?"

She walked away, and tears began to build up in Lupa's eyes. She knew what Ri had meant. Her emotions were clearly at rock bottom.

Soma looked like he was going to murder Ri, and was about to follow her when I grabbed his arm. Lupa needed him more right now.

"Just ignore her Lupa, she's just one of the rumour makers." Lindow reassured her, putting a hand on her shoulder. Lupa shoved it off and ran out of the room, pushing past Soma.

There was a shocked silence, then Soma followed suit. Lindow looked hurt and I felt a little unhappy too. Kanon sighed. "She's been like this all day."

Soma's POV

I tracked her through the corridors, trying to figure out where she went, but her movements were random, always aimed at escaping me.