Chapter 31: Pine needle promotions

To FPF again, because she made helped me when I was stuck. She made a phrase up in the chapter- guess what?

Lupa's POV

Sadly the fun couldn't last forever.

After lunch, Sakuya waved me, Lindow and Soma off to our next mission.

Sakuya had suggested (or rather ordered) me to have a nap on the journey, so I did just that.

I think Soma was still in a mood, as he took back his old position at the helicopter door. He had his back to me, avoiding conversation.

Seeing this as a good time to snooze, I curled up on a seat and allowed my mind to empty, dreams flowing easily into me.

I collapsed to the ground under the old, swaying branches of the ancient blue tree in the training grounds.

"Tired?" Jack teased, sitting cross legged on the grass beside me. Me and my brother had just been practicing sword fighting.

"Whaddya think?" he chuckled at my sarcasm. My arms were aching from the multiple drills, and it was one of those moments that I felt more dead than alive.

We remained seated under the tree, watching as the sun set. Jack sighed happily, watching as the sun dissapeared, and the white glow of the moon fell on our faces.

I put my hands behind my head, lying back to watch the stars. "Are you going to bed?"

"Nope." he joined me in my stargazing, and I told him stories of the stars. Night was the best time of day. I moonbathed, enjoying the light.

He loved dusk, the gap between day to night. As did my familiar.

Me? I prefered the return to light. Though I loved night, the first rays of dawn always took my breath away.

And rightly so.

We were only about half way there when I woke up, feeling refreshed. The first thought that came to my head was what I went with.

I hopped off my seat and went to the door of the helicopter, sitting across from Soma. There was quiet.

"...hey Lupa." Soma murmered quietly.

"Hm?" I tore my eyes from the doorway to look into his light blue eyes.

He turned his gaze sharply back out the door, avoiding eye contact. "...I could end everything. It would take one step."

"If you mean committing suicide," I said mildly, "I'd rather you didn't. It would be messy."

"...why?"

"Huh?" surely he understood why it would be messy?

"Why did you save me that day?" he now turned back, eyes fierce. "It would have been better for you to have left me alone."

My returning gaze was just as strong. "I told you why. Someone has to make you realise just how much your life is worth."

I recalled something a human girl had told me once. An amazing girl. All rights to FPF's friend, and this is just my interpretation.

"If I offered you twenty dollars, would you take it?"

"...I guess."

"How about if I crumpled it up and stamped on it, then offered it to you?"

He scowled. "Trick question?"

I smirked. "Nope."

"...yeah I would take it." he shrugged.