Chapter 5: In the hands of hell

Lupa found herself stepping cautiously down the hallway towards the director's room, a week after their first meeting. Her footsteps echoed as though she were in a cave.

Guess there's no way to enter quietly.

Soma had visited her throughout the week, passing on information to her and keeping her company. In that time, she had learnt as much to help her case as possible.

Each day that Soma came, he was more and more tired and grumpy, clearly the experiments were taking their toll on him. All the more important for me to study up. She thought to herself.

As she approached the door, the enormity of what she was about to do stacked up upon her.

C'mon, where did your angelic bravery go, huh?

But I guess I'm just a regular human without wings...

She raised a hand and watched as a tiny silver chain trailed across her skin before floating into the air. Hm. Not totally regular. She smirked and, filled with a new confidence, opened the door.

Soma stood leant against the wall, and the two exchanged tense nods before she turned to his father, sitting in the seat opposite him.

He shuffled his papers in his hands before glancing up at her. "I believe that you wished to speak to me about my sons current situation here..." he started up. "please present your case."

"First of all, you probably reasilse that, like Soma, I am not human." Lupa stated simply "I can tell you that I was once an angel, though the power of flight was taken from me when I arrived."

"So I have heard." he agreed. She had expected this though; the feathers were a bit of a giveaway.

"Fighting the vajra, I found we were an even match," she continued, "my only problem was my weapons."

"My offer is simple. If you let Soma go, or at least let him fight as a God Eater, I will take his place as a test subject."

"Hmm..." the director leant forward, looking her in the eye.

Soma spluttered a muttered "What the hell!?" and glared at Lupa's back.

"An angel... yes, you could make an excellent God Eater...Not to mention you would further our research tremendously. " the director ignored Soma and continued with his silent debate.

"Are you really sure? I don't wish to cause my son any further pain through these experiments, but they are for the betterment of mankind. They are necessary for us to survive."

"Bastard."

"Of course, I understand perfectly" she nodded calmly, ignoring Soma's unhelpful comment. And so it was decided.

As she was walking down the hallway, Soma's pounding feet could be heard behind her. Scowling, he grabbed her elbow and dragged her away from the area, till he was sure they were out of earshot of any cameras, then turned to face her.

"...So that was your genius plan!?" he growled. Lupa remained quiet. "Seriously, why-"

"It was the only way he would let you go. " she muttered darkly to her feet. "I did what I had to do."

"Why though? You could have stayed flying about happily about in the sky for all I care!"

A hand suddenly grabbed his collar, throwing him against the wall. Lupa's eyes were burning angrily. "You don't know me." she choked, pressure building up behind her words. "I've fought so many wars throughout the ages, I've seen more lives lost than you could possibly imagine. An angel's life is only ever filled with suffering. And now-" tears started falling down her face, "And now, I've lost my wings, and I've given up the last of my freedom to save you. For Gods sake, you could at least try to be grateful! "

She turned and fled. Soma shook his head, glowering. "Now I've got a friggin headache. Great, just great." (A/NSomas powerfully enhanced senses make him sensitive to sound. At least here anyway.)

The director kept his word. Soma was freed and began work as a God Eater, whilst Lupa was thrown into hells abyss.

She left as a changed person.