Chapter 34: True equilibrium

...Why so many views? Do you guys have a physics/philosophy test or something?

I did get A in RS mock exam and A* in physics :)

...Now I feel like I have to be really philosophical or whatever. *sighs* Okay, wait a sec.

BTW, I don't really like this chapter, or this book, looking back on it. It's just...I don't know. Rubbish?

Oh, and Hardly Breathe is a really good song if you haven't heard it. So yeah. Life.

Equilibrium is a cool word, but have you ever wondered what people mean by it?

In an equation, the equal sign means that both sides of the equation are the same- in equilibrium.

Some people could say that for everyone to understand each other, we'd have to be like this- the same person, same thoughts, same feelings.

Contrariwise, if an equation is equal both sides, then both sides equate to the same amount, even if they are made up of different values and don't appear the same at first glance.

It's often what makes us 'different' that makes us similar- able understand one another. Because above all, we are all equal.

That's what it means to be human.

I'm gonna need a lie down after that...

Soma's POV

The door. (Le dramatic face)

I stared at the door for what felt like forever. The metal stared back, cold and merciless.

But against the cold of the surface, a warmth spread from my cheek through me, stretching from my chest to my fingertips.

A frown etched upon my face, I touched my cheek, remembering the whisper of a kiss that had brushed the skin.

"Tch." I clenched my fists down by my sides again.

Why did that idiot have to come and change everything?

I had promised myself that my baggage was only mine to suffer, and yet she insisted on caring, when she had problems of her own to take care of.

Which reminded me...she still hadn't worked out how to save Jack, or get her wings back. Meaning she couldn't return to the sky.

I felt my mouth twitch, and a look in the mirror confirmed my suspicion. Why the heck did I look happy?

Did a monster deserve to smile? I doubted it.

Sleep sounded welcoming for once, anything to distract me from my complex thoughts.

My limbs had gone stiff from standing still so long, and I heard multiple cracking sounds coming from the joints as I stretched. I hope that didn't wake Lupa. She gets little sleep as it is.

I didn't even bother contradicting myself, lying on my bed and letting sleep take me. Jack, you better damned let Lupa sleep well tonight.

Darkness. Then light.

A laugh, soft and childish, bubbled through the air like a babbling brook.

From the light came a little girl, her white wings about fifteen sizes too big for her, grinning as she stood beneath a glowing gold tree with two adult angels and a boy, brown hair floating about her face.

Is this...Lupa?

It felt wierd to see her like this, so carefreely laughing.

Lupa lost her parents at a very young age to the fifteenth angel war.