Chapter 14: Preserving your pride

To Chris, an epic person.

Lupa's POV

While we were walking to get our helicopter, Soma filled me in on the mission, albeit a little grumpily.

The mission was to defeat five cocoon maidens, which was suspiciously easy. Then again, this was supposed to be a solo mission.

I looked at him nervously. Was he- nope, definitely still angry. I bit my lip, hoping he wouldn't be like this during the mission.

We boarded the helicopter, and were soon heading over to the mission site.

I was sat next to Soma, which should have made me happy, but he kept glaring at my ipod, as though about to murder it.

"Um, Soma?" I attempted to get his attention.

"What album is that?" he interupted. I glanced down at the screen.

"Meteora by Linkin Park..."

"The one with Numb on?"

"Yeh. Do you have it?"

"No." he grumbled. I felt a smile twitch at the corner of my mouth. Without warning, I pulled off his headphones and tucked one of my  earphones into his ear.

"What are you-"

"You are too intent on preserving your pride to ask others for help, so I just made things easier for you." I curled up on my seat. "Survival rule three: Never be too proud to flee. Pride will likely cost you your life."

He muttered complaints under his breath for a while before going quiet to listen. I smirked to myself. Too easy.

Sadly, we reached our destination all too soon. We flew over the broken town, down to the landing point.

"Any tactics, sir?" I asked, half joking, half serious.

"Don't get in my way." the straightforward answer was the most she could hope for, for now.

And so the mission began.

My senses told me that there was a vajra on the other side of the village, close enough to hear, far enough away to be of no concern.

Soma set off at a jog, which was different to last time. He made sure I was in firing distance, pacing himself to let me keep up easily. So he does listen to me.

I allowed myself a mini celebration, punching the air.

"What was that about?" he had seen. Oops.

"Oh, nothing much." I was probably grinning like a madman, but I honestly didn't care. I burst into a sprint, leaving him staring in the dust. I could swear at that moment, the sky shone with a bright light, as though the joy was chasing away the darkness.

Soma's POV

About an hour later, we arrived back at Fenrir. The mission was, of course, a success. I had to admit, despite Lupa's irritating comments on technique, and a couple of misfires, she wasn't a bad fighting partner.

After we had talked to Hibari, confirming mission details, Lupa piped up. "I'm gonna go have a shower, and you?"

I looked over at an unsuspecting Lindow, who was sat talking to some rookies, and hadn't noticed our presence yet. "I've got stuff to do." She smirked as she realised what I meant, before leaving. I pretended not to notice the spring in her step.

I approached Lindow, a dark aura surrounding me, speaking of death and torment, so thick that I felt like it had taken a form of its own.

The rookies around him slowly fell silent, backing away from my approaching figure. Lindow still had his back to me.

"Hello sir." Lindow gulped.

Normal POV

Sakuya had to look after Lindow the rest of the evening, due to severe injuries.

Soma returned to his room entirely satisfied, violence taken care of. He found Lupa standing at his doorway.

"I trust that he will be able to work tomorrow still?"

"Maybe."

She laughed. They talked a little longer outside his door before going their separate ways.

Soma sat in bed, listening to music till late at night. He didn't sleep.