Chapter 2: Jaws of fate

???'s POV

With an indescribable sense of guilt, I took one last glance back at the boy mumbling on the floor.

His white hair contrasted heavily with his tanned skin, which was mostly covered up by a long white top and white trousers. He wore a red bracelet on his right arm. God he was cute. But his eyes...they were so cold and distant. Pain was reflected in those sapphire orbs...

Did he really want to end his life that badly? I sighed. I really have messed up this time...

I closed my eyes and felt power surging through me. Upon opening them, I spotted tiny silver chains and black ribbons floating  around me, and sighed with relief. Well, good to see my powers still work here.

These chains signify my light (the silver chains) and my dark (the black ribbons) powers, and allow me to switch weapons, teleport and yeah, a whole lot of useful stuff, as well as acting as weapons themselves. So I would be pretty dead without them.

The lionish creature stopped pacing back and fourth and started charging towards me, letting out a loud roar. Raising my sword, I let out a roaring war cry of my own before sprinting towards the monster.

Swiftly dodging to the left of the creatures paw, I slammed my sword into its tail. The tail let out a pinging sound and immediatly swung round at me so I was forced to leap backwards.

Seriously!? My attack hadn't even fazed the cat, it was clearly nothing like what I had fought in past worlds before.

This is gonna be a long battle...

Normal POV

The angel wasn't half as impressive as she had first seemed. He summed up to himself.

It was clear that she was an experienced fighter, from the way she gracefully dodged; anticipating the aragami's every move. But her weapons did little to no damage.

A sudden burst of electricity  around the vajra sent the girl sprawling, and he unconsciously winced.

It's kinda painful to watch.

What was he expecting though? Apart from her wings, she was no different to the soldiers who had first been faced by aragami.

Damn...If only I had my God Arc.

The experiments had been good for one thing; Soma was now able to fight these monsters with a weapon that was designed to specifically to kill aragami...

...But he didn't have it with him; he escaped the labs with the intention of ending his life, only to find that this angel wasn't going to let him die that easily.

If I could get back, I could get to my god arc and save her...

Wait what?

No way was he going to save this friggin idiot who ruined his plan.

He stood, and took one look back at the wounded girl, silently thanking her for giving him a second chance at life before he sprinted off.

???'s POV

I frantically switched weapons. Come on, one's just gotta work! I leapt into the air and glanced at my weapon. A bow shone in the light, a starlit arrow already in place for me to shoot.

If I could just find a weak point...

I glanced at my target, ideas completely failing me. Guess angel weapons are ineffective here...

Suddenly, the monster lost interest in me A/N(well duh, you ain't easy prey in the air). Raising its head, it took a long sniff of the air, before turning its head with a snarl and bounding away.

Thank God...

I was about to flop down and catch my breath when I remembered him.

The boy!

Cursing, I ran on foot back to the clearing I had found him in, feet crunching in the snow.

I was almost too late.

Soma's POV

Well s***

The second I decided that actually, life isn't so bad after all, I'm faced once again with death.

As I was hurrying away as fast as my genetically modified legs would allow me, I was stopped in my tracks by a huge shadow.

Spinning on my heel, I looked up to see the vajra soaring through the air. I was too late to move, to do anything. Had the angel met the same fate?

Time seemed to slow down as I watched jaws widen before me. Then I saw a flash of silver before me and suddenly, she was there.

And

the jaws

were

closing.