Chapter 11: The wolfs den

Lupa's POV

The journey back to Fenrir was spent explaining my powers. Of course, I couldn't tell them everything, not about my past. But enough to give them an idea.

"So just be careful to not overuse your 'magic' then, can't have you fainting in the middle of battle, right?" Lindow advised.

"Yes, sir." I saluted him seriously.

"And enough with the formalities! Whilst we're on the battlefield, we fight as equals. So adress me as such. " Lindow advised me, I frowned.

"Then how do you wish me to adress you?" I felt puzzled by his openness, why did he want me to treat him as an equal?

"Lindow would be good," he laughed, then, "if you're uncomfortable calling me by my first name then I guess Leader would do."

"Leader works for me." I decided.

"You have to call me by my first name though, that's what friends do right?" Sakuya said, and a lump grew in my throat.

"Friends..." I muttered, subconsciously turning to Soma, who tensed. "Okay Sakuya."

She followed my gaze to Soma. "Of course, I couldn't replace Soma though." she commented snidely.

"Don't lump me together with that idiot!" Soma growled.

I winced before putting my headphones back in, cutting off further conversation. The adults shrugged, returning to their seats.

I closed my eyes and let the music fill my senses for the remainder of the journey.

Under this crushing weight, I'm sinking,

It never goes away, the thinking,

Echoes in empty rooms, decaying.

"...You like Celldweller?" Soma commented, glancing at my ipod screen.

"Yeah, his stuffs great, though I prefer Blue Stahli, to be honest." I said with a shrug. He continued staring intently, as though working something out.

"We're here!" Lindow called as the helicopter touched down on the roof of Fenrirs landing point. I leapt out with Soma, breathing in the fresh air deeply. It was way too stuffy in the copter.

"Welcome to your new home." Sakuya said cheerfully, leading me indoors.

Soma's POV

Her eyes lit up as she walked into Fenrir. She clasped her hands together as she took in the room around her.

A desk sat at the front of the room, a red haired girl sat at it, talking to a group of god eaters, smiling warmly. Hibari was as friendly as ever. Kanon, a pink haired girl, was sat on the sofa, chatting with her friends as usual.

The atmosphere was as warm and welcoming as a toasty fire in winter. No wonder Lupa was drawn in. They smiled over at Lindow and Sakuya, calling over to them. Until they saw us.

I scowled at the people before me, feeling their fear, hearing their words, like daggers through my skin.

"Look, it's him."

"The death god..."

"Sshh, he can hear you."

"Monster."

I strode across the room, heading towards the elevator, wanting nothing more than to escape this hell. I would have too, but Lupa once again stopped me.

"Who's she?"

"She was with Soma..."

"Her eye...like an aragamis..."

"Another monster..."

My hand hovered over the elevator button, unable to move. I just wanted to leave...

Damn you Lupa.

I swung round, striding up to her and wrapping her wrist in hand. Her head jolted upwards, meeting my eyes with hers. She looked...distant.

Ignoring the commotion around us, I shoved our way through the crowd to the elevator, and sensed Lindow and Sakuya on our tails.

I called up the elevator, dragging a dazed Lupa in with me and, sure enough, the other two came in with us, Lindow standing at the door, casually stretched out to hide us from view.

I slammed my fist into the wall, leaving a large indent in the metal. Lupa's hand slipped from mine as she fell to her knees, shaking.

"They aren't all like that." Sakuya said, slipping an arm round her shoulders.

"Liar." I retorted, punching the wall a second time.

"Soma, quit being unhelpful!" she shouted.

"They just need time learn to trust you. Show them the real you and they'll love you in no time." Lindow smiled down at Lupa.

"Now, when the doors open, I want you to walk with your head held high. Do you think you can do that?"

Lupa stayed quiet for a few seconds longer, but the shaking slowed down. She finally gave a sharp, semi-confident nod, earning a warm hug from Sakuya.

"Soma and I will take you on a tour of Fenrir, then show you to your room. Lindow still has work to do, but I shouldn't be needed." Sakuya said, shooting a withering look at me.

My fist was caught by Lindow's palm before it could reach the wall again. "You know that I'll be billed for that."

"Your problem, not mine." I shoved my hand in my pockets as the elevator came to a halt.

Me, Lupa and Sakuya exited the elevator, leaving Lindow leaning against the wall of the elevator, staring after us as the doors closed.

I took off at a brisk pace, stepping along the corridor. I paused. "You coming?"

Lupa leapt over to me, her eyes brightened a little once more and Sakuya laughed. I rolled my eyes, turning around, Lupa close at my heels.