Chapter 38: Forgotten memories

2.1K! Rereading an author's note, I realised I said we would probably never reach my sister's views (2.1k) and we've done just that!

...Though she's reached 20k now...

New target: 20k views ;)

Aria's POV

Two years.

My fingers lightly followed each mark, each wispy fragment, each smooth line; the many contours that made up his happy, grinning face.

Two whole years had passed, yet it didn't hurt any less.

I flipped the page in my notebook, moving onto the next drawing, the next memory. My only proof that he ever existed. One notebook. Fifteen drawings. Seven by me, eight by him.

Jack taught me to see the beauty of the world, to appreciate life and all its mysteries.

I may be a cleric, someone who heals others, but that was my second vocation in life.

My first?

After I had fallen from the sky in an accident to do with a tree, pretty golden fruit and the Star flight Express, I was taken in by an organisation of thieves.

They trained me up in the way of thievery, teaching me to sharpen my senses, pick locks, trade effectively and, above all, fight.

A thief.

"Aria?" I jumped, curling further up into the trunk of the tall tree in the garden, stilling my breath as I listened. Lupa. Soma. Lindow.

"I'm not here." I grumbled childishly, covering my face with my hands as I heard them approach. "If I can't see you, then you can't see me."

The thing is, I'm only eleven. I am a kid.

"Oh..." Lupa stopped a few feet away, respecting my personal space. "Well, if I could see Aria, I'd tell her that she was right. And that I'm sorry that I can't remember. Also, that I was planning something she might like to help me with."

My finger twitched a little to let me peep, then I quickly replaced it. "Not if Soma is coming."

"For f***'s sake." He started growling curses, then after a short silence, reluctantly started talking."If I could see that goddamn egit, I'd tell her that I couldn't give a f*** about her moping."

I could definitely hear the punch this time.

"F*** off Lindow!" He snarled. "Fine! I'm sorry for being unfair and not caring about your emotions. Happy?"

"Will you fix the shelf in my room?"

"...what?"

I uncovered my eyes, standing up to place my hands on my hips as my devious side came out. "My shelf broke- all my notebooks are everywhere. I need someone to-"

"For the love of-" Lindow once again aimed a punch threateningly. "Fine!"

Smugly smirking, I joined them, simply following the three as they led me to a corner of the garden.

As we walked, Lupa made small talk, talking about this and that, just little things. Nothing out of the ordinary. No, it was the more subtle hints hidden in plain sight that I made note of.

The slight brush of hands as Soma and Lupa walked by each other, a gesture they both ignored, yet insistently made.

The inclination of Lupa's head, not quite looking Soma in the eye out of respect, but skimming eye contact.

Soma's intense look as Lupa spoke, then sharp turn away as he realised he had looked at her that bit too long.

It was certainly a cautious relationship.