Chapter 20: Train of thought

To Mrs Jackson, because she gave me the confidence to write this book, after saying she loved my creative writing. Teachers are amazing.

If nothing is nothing, then nothing must be something.

Normal POV

Lupa tapped her foot grumpily. What was taking them so long? She was perched against a wall, waiting for Lindow and someone called Kanon to turn up for a mission with her.

She had been waiting for exactly three hours. She was seriously getting angry. For Gods sake, am I the only one who has any sense of time here?

Lindow finally showed up, yawning and finishing a can of beer. "Oh, hey Lupa, you're early."

She fumed. "No, your three damned hours late, explain yourself."

"Woah missy, watch your language." he laughed. "And the mission is at half eight. It's only just going eight now."

"Huh?" she checked the clock. She'd been waiting since five in the morning...

"Are angels even allowed to swear?" Lindow mused, distracted.

A pinkette popped into view, waving to the two before approaching them.

"Hey Kanon, this is Lupa, one of the other members." Lindow introduced them.

Lupa smiled at her, and began speaking. "A pleasure to meet you, it'll be good to-" Kanon suddenly tripped, squealing as she fell flat on her face, her green dress flying up. Luckily she wore black leggings underneath.

"I look forward to working with you." Lupa bowed slightly, ignoring the commotion. Kanon was greatful and quickly got to her feet.

"Should be fun." she agreed, smiling at Lupa.

Before boarding the copter, Lindow pulled Lupa back for a second. "About Kanon," he warned, "she may seem sweet now, but when she's on the battlefield...just stay out of her line of fire."

Lupa nodded, feeling confused, before joining him and Kanon on the helicopter. Lupa and Kanon chatted the whole way about baking.

Lupa was excited to find out that Kanon was a fan of baking. Like, scarily excited. Lindow was unable to follow the twos high speed conversation, so he just zoned out.

"You know, if you like Soma, you could make him something." Kanon suggested.

Lupa rubbed her chin. "I already attempted tea, but that didn't work out too well..."

"Bake him something sweet," Kanon clasped her hands together. "Cupcakes with hearts on!"

"W-wait, I don't like him that way!" Lupa suddenly realised which 'like' she was referring to.

Kanon smiled knowingly. "Course you don't. Which is why you want to impress him."

"...I don't get it." Lupa tilted her head to one side. Humans thought wierdly. Lindow was sniggering behind his hand, muttering something about muffins, while Kanon continued to give her best knowledgeable look.

"Ah wait! Uh, no, I still don't get it." Lupa lapsed into a bemused silence. Kanon shrugged.

And people thought Lindow was dumb.

They stood in a line, Lindow standing just in front. The area they were in was a deserted train yard; the trains standing eerily still upon their tracks.

She shivered. When the wind blew, she could hear a metalic scraping noise echoing through the area, the vehicles screeching out a funeral song.

If trains had souls, then these would be the cries of the tormented, haunting the living. Only she seemed to be affected by this. Then again, she was the only one able to see souls.