Turn 25: Shun steps forward

I followed close behind my friends, both new and old alike. There was the 'leader' of our small group, Ralph Vanice. He was awesome in my eyes, he didn't back down from a fight, he could easily sacrifice his life if it meant others lived, and not only that but no matter how dark things get he'd smile through it all, I wish I could be more like him.

Next was my old bully, his name was Jacob West and he was equally as awesome as Ralph. He stood tall and proud, unlike me who always slumped over and held myself close, and wore a brave face most of the time. Jacob had a temper, yes, but who said that was a bad thing? Because of that temper most people wrote him as an imputent little kid that should be taught a lesson, that's when his self-determination stepped in and easily crushed them. I never doubted him in my life because I knew what he was truly capable of.

Finally, we get to our newest members. Their names are Cassidy Strider and Clair Kibou, or so I think that's her name. Anyway, Kibou means hope or something, so that'd make more sense she is part of a family of researchers and doctors. Clair is confident like Jacob, calm like Ralph, and very confident in not only herself but everyone else as well, she's really inspirational from the week I've spent with her.

Cassidy Strider is a bit awkward to explain, she's cocky and quick to anger, but also has the unique ability to empty her thoughts and fight without emotion which could prove to be helpful, and not to mention she's eager to make a name for herself.

They were all unique in some way, whether it being a hidden genius like Jacob, a natural leader like Ralph, an inspirational coach like Clair, or someone like Cassidy who was steadfast and had an unbreakable drive, I'm sure they haven't shown these sides too much, but believe me when I say this, I've watched them for a while now and they just don't feel comfortable showing it

...

"Then there's me, Shun Reyuzaki. From what I could tell, Reyuzaki is a horrible spelling of the name Ryuzaki, but I've never actually asked my parents about it. Back to the topic at hand though, I'm just an observer that rarely gets mixed up in these shenanigans of theirs. I keep to myself, they know little about me, and I can't even trust myself to shuffle a deck of cards. I'm absolutely hopeless."

I let out a deep sigh and lowered my head, just listening to them all laugh and following their footsteps. "They hardly know I exist. I wouldn't be surprised if they just left me all alone." I thought to myself, placing my right hand on my left shoulder and rubbing it gently.

I was about to pull up my grey hoodie when I noticed something, a set of heavy footsteps coming from behind us, and what made it worse was the fact that I've been hearing it for a while now. I closed my exposed eye, the right one, and with the left I looked up at a passing mirror that pointed back down the sidewalk to see who was following us.

Walking about five steps away from me was a hooded figure with nothing but his cloak visible. My eye widened when I saw this and my breathing picked up rapidly. "What the hell does he want? Why is he following us?" I asked myself, contemplating telling my friends, but I was too late.

The space around us cooled down so much that my heavy breathing became visible mist. The others noticed as well and turned around to face the threat. I turned around as well and immediately walked behind the crew, everyone except for the cloaked figure and us were frozen in place. Time wasn't moving either and the glass displays of the nearby shops froze over.

Jacob: "Who are you?!"

Jacob yelled, taking a step forward.

???: "None of your concern, that's what."

I could tell from the soft tone of the voice and the structure of their body that it was a female, probably no older than 15.

Jacob:"Oh yeah? Then what do you want!"

Jacob starting gritting his teeth while everyone else stared at her with curiosity, not picking up on her malicious aura.

???: "My goal is to destroy Ralph Vanice and anyone associated with him."

Dark clouds started rolling in, an obvious bad omen.

Ralph: "What? By who?"

Ralph's eyes narrowed and he spread his legs apart, taking up a battle stance of sorts.

???: "None of your concern, now, the first person to fight me please step up"

A table appeared in front of us and the girl.

Clair: "Alright, leave this to me."

Clair was about to step forward, cracking her knuckles and growing a smile, until she was stopped by Cassidy.

Cassidy: "Hey! No fair, I haven't shown what I could do."

The two girls started arguing about who should get to battle her, then Ralph stepped forward to take up the field, but was stopped by Jacob.

Jacob: "No you don't, this one goes to me!"

Ralph: "Jacob, this could be extremely dangerous, just let me handle this."

Those two started arguing now, leaving just me. I sighed and closed my eyes, part of me wanted to walk off but I wanted to stay and cheer on who actually got to fight.

??? 2: "Why don't you fight?"

A hand landed on my shoulder and I opened my surprise, jumping in shock. I turned back and saw Luard staring down at me with a smile.

Shun: "Eh? What? I can't fight."

I told him, looking downwards once again.

Luard: "Shun, take a look around yourself. Do you really expect them to fight at this current moment in time?"

I shook my head no, right now they're wasting precious time.

Luard: "Exactly. Listen Shun, I know you don't believe in yourself, but I do. You can do this, and we'll be right behind you. Go, now! We can't waste time, we need to free this girl!"

I stood still for a second, taking deep breaths before nodding and pulling out my deck.

I walked past my friends without them noticing and placed my vanguard facedown. I started power shuffling, keeping my focus on my cards and not daring to look up.

Finally, after the longest minute of my life was done, we could start. We both already redrew and just waiting for me to mentally prepare myself.

"This is a fight for my life, and the life of others. That means I need to get serious." I brushed my long hair out of my face, revealing my left eye.

???: "Those are unusual eyes of yours. The right one blue, and the left one red. Plus, your eyes seem to have gotten more serious... I'll enjoy this."

This caught everyone's attention and they all simultaneously yelled 'Shun!'

Shun: "Ready when you are."

I placed two fingers on my vanguard and tucked my thumb under the card.

???: "Sure, you can go first."

I nodded and watched as she placed a finger on her vanguard. This will be my first cardfight since my parents got divorced eight years ago.

Both: "Stand up, Vanguard!"