37 ~ promise

You looked at your patents. They managed to fall asleep. Your mother laying against your father.

It kinda hurt to see that. All you craved was some warmth. A shoulder that would keep you safe. Your father offered his other one to you but you knew that you wouldn't be able to sleep anyways.

You heard the door of the cellar open. Who was there at this time? You got up. A light lit up. You looked straight into Draco's eyes, and you felt your heart break even more.

'What do you want? Go away.' You said.

'You know I can't.' He said.

His voice sounded broken. His eyes were slightly red. He didn't look good at all.

'Don't act like this. Go.'

'Y/N, please, you have to listen to me.'

You crossed your arms and looked at him. That feeling returned. The feeling of betrayal of pain.. It hurt you. It made tears sting in your eyes.

'I made a dumb mistake. I shouldn't have done any of this. I shouldn't have listened to my parents but I was scared. I never knew anything else, I never wanted this life. Please Y/N I don't want to lose you.'

'A dumb mistake?! You call this mess a dumb mistake?! This isn't a dumb mistake anymore!'

'I know.. I know. I just..'

He didn't know what to say to you. You saw him think about what he could possibly say.

'What do you want? I'm not asking you again.'

'I want you to tell me that we'll be okay. That our relationship will be okay.'

'Why?' You just asked.

'Because I don't want to lose you. You're the only one who knows me like I really am. You're the only one who accepted me, who even showed me love. You mean the world to me. Without you, my life is just darkness. You were the light that was keeping me going.. and I love you. I love you more than I love anyone.' He said with tears in his eyes.

'How can I believe you after everything you said to me was a lie?' You asked.

He looked at you.

'I'm being sincere. I promise you. I mean it.. deep inside, you know I do! Look at me.. I can't do this without you, I'm a mess.' He said.

'You might just be a very good liar. So I'm just not going to take anything as the truth.' You said. 'So unless you want me to start screaming and waking everybody up, I would go if I were you.'

'I can't.' He choked.

'Go.' You said.

'No.' He said.

He pushed you back against the wall. One of his arms was blocking your side while he was standing infront of you. You get a flashback to the first time you two kissed.

'I won't go. I need you. I can't sit here waiting if you forgive me or not. I can't go one without knowing that you forgive me. That you understand.' He desperately spoke. 'I did it to protect you. I did. I didn't tell you to keep you from being all caught up in it. I wanted you to be happy. I had to take you for my own life and yours!'

You saw tears roll down his cheeks, which he wiped away with his free arm right away. It broke you but you didn't know if you could live on like this.

'Draco.. I hate you.' You said while looking at him. 'Unlike last time, I really do mean it now. I hate you. What you've done to me is unforgivable, and I hate you for i-'

Draco threw in the last thing he could. He kissed you. Just few a few seconds. It made your other feelings for him bubble up again. That in love feeling. That feeling only he could give you. You looked at him.

You then wrapped your arms around him as you pressed your lips against his again. You gave in to the urge. The urge to just kiss him. It made you forget the world around you for a moment. At that point, it was just you two and that was what made it perfect. No worries about anything else. You knew that as soon as your lips parted that would ask change again.

Your lips parted. You looked at the broken boy infront of you finally allowed yourself to cry after everything that happened.

'I don't know how long I can do this, Draco.' You cried. 'I love you but I can't keep doing this. I can't keep this going when you keep lying, when you keep important things from me. I want to love you but it just seems impossible. Like we can't be together. Maybe we should just accept that.'

Draco was crying too. He didn't want you to break it off. He hoped that you'd understand. Even though you gave him a million chances.

'I don't want us to give up.' He sniffed. 'I know you've given me like a thousand chances, but I just don't want this end. You're all I have. All I have to keep going. All I have to do is survive.'

You felt conflicted. He was torn between two worlds. He wanted the light in his life but the darkness kept him from getting to it. He wanted to stop lying but he just couldn't tell you everything.

'How about this.' You said. 'We don't make any promises anymore.. you don't have to tell me what you can't tell me, you don't have to lie either, you just tell me the truth if you tell me something.. the only promise I want you to keep.. is that in the end, you'll be with me in the light. Even though your parents tell you otherwise.'

Draco looked at you. Was he able to do that? If that meant keeping you, he was.

'I promise.' He said.

You smiled through your tears and kissed him. You then leaned in to his ear to give him the satisfaction to hear you say:

'I love you.'

Draco pulled you against him and he hugged you tightly. You smiled and hugged him back.

'I love you too.' He said.

He pressed his lips against your neck before letting you go.

'I have to go.' He said.

'It's okay.. I'll see you later.'

He kissed you one last time before leaving.

'You're blinded by love.'

You turned around and saw your parents looking at you.

'What?' You asked.

'You're blinded by love.' Your father repeated. 'He's not good for you. Look what he's done to you. I'm not only talking about this. I'm talking about everything.'

'I'm not. I just care about him.'

'He's going to keep hurting you and you just accept all of that?' Your father asked. 'He knows you'll give him a million chances. That's why he isn't changing.'

'He's trying, dad. I know he is. This is my life. I make my own mistakes and learn from them. If he turns out to be one, then I'll see that.'

You sat down against the wall and sighed. Were they right? Were you going to easy on him?

'You already made this mistake before.' Your mother said.

'I clearly sense that you don't want me to date Draco.'

'That's not it, Y/N. You're just being too kind.'

'I'm not being too kind! You heard what he just promised me. I swear he'll keep his promise in the end. Please.. I know what I'm doing. I know I keep saying that it's all okay, but that's because I love him. He means a lot to me and I don't want to lose that.'

Your parents saw that you were torn between your love for Draco and what was best for you. You had a good heart. Maybe a little too good. That was a problem.

'You have a kind heart. You always want what's best for others but please think about yourself.' Your mother said.

'I am thinking about myself. I know you guys have good intentions, but I have to make these choices myself. All you can do is support it.'

They knew you were right but they just wanted you to be happy too. Apparently, this was what made you happy. They just hoped that it was finally done. That he wouldn't hurt you anymore..