Chapter 16.

Blurted Out

[Nea's POV]

I slide to unlock my phone while waiting for my turn in the girl's washroom. There are some notifications from my sisters, Mark, and also Tia. All of them are asking whether I've arrived in the town or not.

A lot happened since the day I returned, I didn't even bother to check my phone. Besides, I'm the type that didn't bother to have a phone in my hand except for music purposes. All of them knew that's why they didn't bother to call many times or spam my inbox.

I look at my phone back and there's also missed calls from them and an unknown number, a lot of missed calls from the number. I tilt my head a bit, trying to remember who would have called me. I quickly shove my phone back in my jacket when it's my turn to use the loo.

-----

Walking out of the washroom after almost 20 minutes, I feel a bit light-headed when I see a lot of people where I have to go through to get to the table back. I try to look at any other route, but to no avail and I take a deep breathe as I walk slowly forward.

I try hard not to bump or touch people as I cross them and I kept my head and eyes down on the floor. When I see the almost clear path and I almost got back to the table, I let out a small sigh of relief.

Suddenly someone holds my wrist and turn me to turn to him or her, I don't know. I saw the owner's white converse and black jeans.

"Aryn."

I gulp air down my throat as I heard the voice that I recognize. I whipped my head up to see him, our eyes met each other. He smiles widely, his black eyes sparkling as he smiles.

"Luke?"

"I've been looking around, to meet you since that day. You said you're in town, but you're nowhere to be seen. I mean this is not a big town so how the hell you are nowhere to be seen."

I forgot that Luke became a chatterbox whenever he is excited.

"Slow down you chatterbox."

I smile while shaking my head and he stops talking looking at me with his sparkling eyes.

"Gosh, I miss you."

I stopped smiling as I'm surprised to hear him saying that. He still holds my wrist and didn't let go. I didn't notice how long have we been staring at each other until there's a loud cough next to us that makes me a bit jumpy.

My eyes widen to see Adam is in front of us, but his eyes are looking somewhere else, downward. I trail his eye view and I saw my hand that is still in Luke's grasp. I quickly push Luke's hand and I take a step back from him.

Luke was eyeing all of my actions and he looks at me that acts nervously in Adam's presence.

"I wonder what took you so long, Nea"

His voice sounds cold and stern.

"Who is he, Aryn?"

I look at both of them that are staring at each other, more like glaring to be exact. Their height matches each other as they glare at each other.

"Aryn? Who the hell are you?"

I sense the tension between them and I look at Adam's friends at the table. All of them are looking at us, some of them are amused to see Adam's reaction while some of them are wary in case things happens.

I push past through them as I put my hand on Adam's chest, trying to calm him down. I saw from the corner of my eyes, Luke's eyes widen towards my action. I turn my back towards Adam as I speak.

"Adam, this is Luke, my neighbor when I'm living here. And Luke, this is Adam..."

I can't seem to find any words to explain my relationship or situation with Adam. My eyes blinking a few times as I try to figure out a word to describe us. Adam cuts my thought when he voices out.

"Partner."

What? Partner? Seriously?

"I'm sorry, what?"

Luke's voice sounds a bit high considering what Adam just said.

"It's none of your business."

"It is since Aryn is mine.."

Excuse me?!

Alex and Sam arrive in time as they push Adam and Luke away when both of them already formed a fist. I saw Alex talking to Adam as he's been put back to his seat, I walk back to Luke.

"What the hell Aryn? What does he mean by partner?"

I saw Sam look at me when Luke said it. I sigh a bit as I talk to Luke.

"It's not what you are thinking."

"Enlighten me then. I need to know those two years that I lost with you so that I'm not thinking anything wrong."

Sam is still there waiting so that Luke will not make any moves towards Adam.

"I don't know how to tell you, or whether I can tell you or not"

Luke's shrug and somehow I felt hurt by that. I try to look at Adam when I said.

"I'll tell you someday."

Luke holds my shoulder in an instance. I wince a bit since his grip hurts.

"When is that?"

I don't know why am I stuttering, but it's definitely because of Luke's harsh action. Sam notices it as he pushes Luke roughly making him take a few steps back. Sam put a hand up signals Luke to stop while his other hand is holding my shoulder so that I didn't fall back.

"Get out of here this instance, Luke."

Luke didn't move any further as Sam's words, sounds cold and stern. He takes a step back as he looks at me, his face expresses hurt. I know Luke well enough to read his expressions as I sigh and put a hand to my temple.

"You okay Nea?"

Sam looks at me, concern about my well being.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"When a woman says she's fine, she's actually not you know?"

I smile at Sam, don't want to express my thought. I turn around to look at Adam, who has been looking at me. Sara and Leia walk towards me as they take me away from there, following them out of Sam's restaurant. I saw Adam's eyes trails me until I'm out his sight.

-----

I can't seem to register as to why Adam said I'm his partner. I'm in Alex's car that Leia drive, away from the restaurant. Leia expresses her frustrations as she drives while Sara, who's sitting next to her also sigh loudly.

"I can't believe that idiot! Adam Nicholas Clark is an idiot! Definitely! " Leia expresses her frustration again when we arrive at the house and out of the car.

"I know! He's dumb! Partner? I can't believe he said that?!" Sara let out her frustration loudly.

I smile a bit seeing them talking while they are walking towards the house. We go straight to the living room to warm up ourselves. I take a seat on the couch near the giant window, while Sara and Leia sit across me.

"I'm sorry for what Adam had said, Nea," Sara says apologetically the same as Leia.

I shake my head slowly and smile softly

"He must have startled himself too. I can't find a word to describe him before too. He must have said it unconsciously."

I hope so.

"There's a whole big difference between a married couple and a partner, Nea. I bet he knows that he's not dumb." Leia grunts angrily.

"Then, he must have been regretting it by now." I smile and I look at the snow that begins to fall outside of the giant window.

"He is, trusts me!" Sara and Leia said in unison.

I think so too.

-----