Chapter 31.

Keep Inside

[Nea POV]

I can't seem to concentrate in class. My mind literally flew over to the memory a few hours ago.

*A few hours ago

A woman came to the table and she casually sits next to Adam. I can feel my blood is boiling inside and my hand formed a fist under the table, but my face shows natural except for my eyes which widen at that woman suddenness.

I hear Adam's tone goes cold and stern to the girl who's called Sharlene, but she kept on yapping nonsense which actually hurt me inside. 

Rebound girl.

My mind is occupied when suddenly a sudden loud thud on the table, making it shakes hard, our plates and glasses clatter. I jump to the loud thud and I saw Adam's fist is on the table and his expression is unreadable, he's never been this angry before. I saw Adam's about to say something so I quickly grasp his hand that is on the table, still in fist form. I grab is assuringly and my eyes pleaded for him to calm down. Fortunately, he's able to calm down when he told Sharlene to leave and I'm glad she notices the situation as she leaves the restaurants.

I can't seem to get her words out of my head, so I decided to avoid Adam's gaze. I know it's not his fault and he already said whatever he wanted to before. I understand that, but I can't seem to throw this hurt feeling away. 

 I feel Adam's eyes on me and I know he wanted to say something, but I quickly get up, "Where are you going?" Adam asks and I look into his eye, his eyes shown guilty, but it's not even his fault so why would he feel guilty.

I need to straighten up and be okay.

"Washroom," I said as I smile for him, but my smile looks fake, I know because I'm a terrible liar and Adam's expression is not good.

I walk quickly towards the bathroom without looking at my surroundings and I bumped into someone and I can feel my body gave up as I fell back. But to my surprise, I was held and prevented from falling hard. 

"T...Thank you," I said without looking at the owner, but I do see that it's a man because he's wearing a blue shirt that compliments his body well since he's a bit bulky.

Damn, it's felt like I hit a rock. 

"Aryn?" I heard the man's voice and my head whipped to his face. I can feel my throat tightened before I said his name, "Luke."

Why does this feel like a total Deja Vu all over again?

Instinctively, I yank my arms and body away from him and I look back to see Adam already witness this encounter. Luke also saw Adam as he throws his arms to his back and said, "Dejavu huh."

"I need to go to the washroom," I said as I walk away from their eyes.

-----

As I walk out of the washroom, I didn't see Luke anywhere, so I strut back to the table only to find him there, sitting at across Adam. Both of them sense my presence as they both look at me and smile.

Whar's with this creepy air?

I cough a bit before I sit next to Adam since Luke takes my place. I eyed them both silently and I can see both of them smile sheepishly.

"Okay, stop smiling creepily. Spit it out! Both of you." I said sounded a bit demanding. I saw from the corner of my eye Adam gave a nod to Luke for him to speak.

"I came to apologize for my behavior, Aryn," Luke said as I look at him and smile.

"You know I've already forgiven you, right?" I said, but Luke signals to Adam as he said, "But, he's not. I mean, if someone touches my wife, roughly, I will also beat him to a pulp, it won't matter if that person is a guy or a girl or even the childhood best friend."

"And I am asking for his permission to befriend with you again," Luke said warily and I glance at Adam.

"Why would you need Adam's permission to be my friend? You didn't need his permission and you actually, are my friend, to begin with." I said sounded a bit angry.

Adam put a hand on my hand and I glance at him. I know that he knows my angry expression as he sighs and nodded.

"It's settled then. My friends are waiting for me at the back. Thanks, Adam! See you later Aryn." Luke said as he stands up, but I ask him, "Later?"

"Yeah, I heard you're a freshman here. I'm also a student here, Engineering Major." My eyes went wide and Luke just smiles as he went back to his friends.

"You knew??" I ask Adam and he slowly nodded. 

"I thought you knew," Adam said as he plays with my hand, caressing, pinching and smoothing it. I look at him playing with my hand and I ruffle his hair with my other free hand.

"Are you upset or angry with me?" Adam asks as he looks at me in the eye.

How can I get mad or angry when you're making those puppy eyes?

I rolled my eyes and I smile, "No. It's not your fault."

"Then are you okay?" He searches my eyes again, but I avoid his eyes as I answer, "I'm okay."

Adam doesn't seem to convince with my answer, but he followed me to pay for the food while I walk out of the restaurant. When he's out of the restaurant, he tried to talk about it again, but I shrug it off and dragged him towards the college. I know he'll be asking me about this topic again, but I don't think I can tell him.

*Now

I sigh slowly as I lay my head on my book and I feel someone pat my back twice. I turn to look at Kris on my left and she smiles, "Are you okay?"

I shake my head twice and she also lay her head on her book as she faces me, "What's wrong? Do you want to tell me?"

I am about to open my mouth when Ethan interrupts, "Tell what? Ooh, I wanna know it too!" 

I can't shake my thoughts that Ethan's excited like a dog wagging its tail. I shake my head profusely to shake the thoughts out of my head. I sit up straight as I mouthed to Kris, "Later." 

Kris nod and she give a dagger stare at Ethan and Ethan back away slowly, "Easy there, tiger."

Somehow, they make me laugh and I feel a bit better from all this gloomy thing. 

-----

As soon as we reach our room, Kris sits on her study chair and waits for me to speak up. I chuckle and I look at her serious face, "You won't let this go, do you?" and she shakes her head thrice.

"Spit it out now Nea. I know, I've only known you for only a short time, but I feel like we bonded quickly than normal people. We clicked, you know what I mean?" Kris's eyes are like a dagger through me.

"Okay, I'll tell you, but please don't judge me. Promise?" I held out my pinky to her and she quickly links her's to mine. "I promise!" She said as she smiles.

I sigh as I tell her all of it, from the day I met Mrs. Clark until the events at the restaurant today. I can see she looks confused and her mouth looks like it wanted to spout something, but she didn't say anything, so I just smile and as I was about to get out of the door, Kris speaks, "You're not wrong."

"I'm sorry?" I turned around to see Kris already stand up next to her bed. "I mean, you're not wrong to feel like that... He's your husband. He's literally yours, so it's not wrong for you to feel like that."

At that time I feel like my heartthrob because I've been trying to shove the feeling's away so that I won't show that I feel hurt and I actually care about this more than I thought. I feel tears escape at that moment and I bit my lip to prevent my breakdown, but Kris is so not helping me because she comes to hug me and say, "It's okay to cry because you're upset. Better out than in."

I stand still at the door and only let my tears escape as Kris still pat my back to calm me down and I nod, "Thank you for not judging me Kris." and Kris laughs a bit before she let me go to make sure I'm okay.

"I'll always be here if you need a friend," Kris assures me as she smiles softly.

I am blessed with many nice people in my life, although I don't deserve it. God.

-----