Nightmares

- Clementine's POV

I awoke with a start, my heart pounding and mind racing. My eyes darted around the room, recognizing my surroundings, even in the dark of night. My sweaty palms rested stiffly on the side of the mattress, the cold air from the broken window hitting the back of my neck, although somehow allowing for me to calm down a bit. I now sat on the side of the bed, my legs dangling over the edge of the bunk. AJ's quiet snoring echoed in my ears, a calm wave coming over me as I saw him happily sleeping across the room. I couldn't wake him. He rarely had nights where he didn't wake at some point, coming and sitting on the edge of my bed until he calmed. He always thought I slept while he did so, but sometimes I could swear I heard soft sobs coming from him. I always knew when he was there. When he was, I'd usually pull him in close to me, comforting him and letting him stay with me for the rest of the night. Sitting silently, breaths shallow, I stood and walked quietly towards the door.

As I closed the door gently, the cold, brisk air of the hall sent shivers up my spine. I crept down the dark corridor, careful not to alert any of the school kids. Before I knew it however, I was approaching the piano room. The room that I loved most. The room that somehow calmed me, quieted me. Although it was one of the last things I wanted on my mind, throughout the weeks I've been at the school, I've had budding feelings for someone. Someone who played piano. Someone named Louis.

As I entered the room, I walked to the piano, my hand lightly brushing against the white and black keys. I took a seat on the old wooden bench, the weight pressing down making it let out an audible squeak. I stared blankly at the instrument, wondering how he could make such beautiful melodies by pressing the keys down at random. Setting my hands down on the ivories, I began to mimic the way it looked, how it felt to make music. My eyes teared, remembering the treacherous nightmares that haunted my sleep, tears dropping and leaving wet patches on my pants. At that point I was so lost in thought about it, about him, about my nightmares, that I didn't even notice the faint footsteps approaching from behind. As I moved my hands around, examining the piano, attempting to calm myself, I felt a pair of warm hands lightly grip my shoulders. I let out a gasp, stiffening and looking behind me. From the moonlight, I could make out their features. Deep brown eyes, darker skin, with freckles splattered along their nose and cheeks. And dreadlocks. It was Louis. How did he find me?! I thought as he sat next to me, I absentmindedly shuffled over for him. "Hey. What're you doing awake?" He asked. His voice was raspy and tired, like he'd just awoken. Perhaps he had. "I, uhh...." I started, feeling embarrassed. I sniffled as he shifted closer, realizing that I was crying. "Clem, are... Are you okay?" His voice was now laced with concern, rather than exhaustion. I felt an arm creep over my back, pulling me closer.

"I just... had a bad dream is all. I'm fine." I forced a smile at him, resisting the urge to pull him close and cry harder. The dream had been about Lee. As usual. It was either that, the ranch, or my family. My life before this... Apocalypse. "Clem, you can tell me. It's okay. Everything's going to be okay." He pulled me close to his chest, resting a hand on my head, stroking his fingers through my hair as I cried, sobbed, into his shirt. I wrapped my arms around him, not caring anymore about weakness, or concealing my true feelings. I let all my tears fall as he sat there, whispering reassuring words to me, stroking my head and rubbing my back, swaying me back and forth on the bench. My head sat in the crook of his neck, our cheeks nuzzled together. Louis pulled me away, holding onto my shoulders. He then raised one hand, cupping my cheek, wiping away tears with his thumb, smiling kindly to me. The warm sensation in my stomach grew, and, before I knew, our lips connected. I widened my eyes, but didn't hesitate to lean into the kiss, draping my arms over his neck as we kissed. He pulled away, still looking with love into my eyes. "Are you better now?" He asked with a small smirk playing at his lips. "Yeah, I am." He was taken aback a little by my answer, but stood up quickly, guiding me over to the couch, where he actually slept on a daily basis. That's how he knew... I thought as I sat next to him, his arm still comfortingly around me. I lifted my legs onto the couch, as did he, and before I knew, we were both sound asleep.