Masquerade

- Clementine's POV

I walked into the room, clutching my dress nervously. With a sigh I looked back to see Lee's car leave the parking lot. No going back now, I thought. With a small ounce of courage I walked into the gym, head held high as I looked around at the other students. My short heels clicked on the floor as I walked against the wall, trying not to gather any attention. I was alone. Maybe I shouldn't have listened to Carly telling me to get out and socialize. My hands went up to the maroon coloured mask that lay on my face. This was a masquerade dance after all. I was surprised the school would actually do it, considering the kids that went here.

I looked to my left as another girl passed. She wore a purple dress and mask, and her hair was short and blonde. She was holding hands with a taller girl, who wore a brilliant blue. She had bright red hair and ocean blue eyes to accompany it. "Marlon!" I heard from a little ways away. It must've come from the tall guy dancing stupidly with his friend. His friend had ugly hair. Like a dead cat, honestly. I rolled my eyes with a smirk as I kept walking along the wall, only stopping when I heard footsteps approaching. "Excuse me." The guy from earlier said, panting. I looked past him to see his friend watching. This must've been a dare or something. "Yes?" I asked, slightly annoyed. In socializing I was going out here, I didn't actually want to...well, socialize. "Can I...I-I mean...can...you..." He stuttered horribly. If only I knew who he was. But his forest-y green mask covered half of his face, like the rest of us. "Can I...?" I repeated as he cleared his throat. "Can I...dance? With you?" He asked nervously. I exhaled slowly, unsure of whether to accept or decline. If I did decline, he wouldn't know who I was. Therefore it didn't necessarily matter.

"Sure." I muttered, shrugging. I'd forgotten how uncomfortable my dark red dress was. It was off-shoulder, black lace surrounding the sleeves that lay just under my shoulders. The boy smiled at me excitedly as I followed him into the middle of the floor. I noticed now that many of the students, if not all, had paired up with someone. "Do you know how to dance?" He asked as he took his hand in mine. I fought the urge to pull away...I wasn't really comfortable being this close to people. "No...do you?" I asked as we followed the others, I was trying to figure out what they were doing. "Yeah. Just...follow my lead." He offered as I looked down to watch how he moved. I'd soon figured it out, now just following his movements as best I could.

The longer this slow dance went on the more uncomfortable I got. Not necessarily uncomfortable, but...tense. I could tell the boy sensed it too. "You can relax you know." He said as I looked up to him questionably. "Says you, the one who could barely talk a minute ago. This was some dare to ask the ugly loner to dance, wasn't it?" I questioned as he looked back at me, clearly shocked. "What? No. No, this was...uhm...a dare to ask..." He trailed off. He was really nervous, I could tell. "Ask what?" I said, smirking a little. "The person we found most attractive. To dance." My eyes widened as he said this, I almost lost my footing. "Woah...you okay?" He asked, arm around my back as he stopped me from tripping. "Uhh...yeah. Just these stupid heels." I smiled nervously as he continued to laugh. "What?" I asked playfully. This was getting easier than expected. "Well, you almost just fell for me." He laughed at my shocked expression, something I was doing a lot tonight.

The song stopped as we finished, and I immediately let go, turning to leave. "Wait..." The tall boy said as he held onto my hand. I turned back around as he looked away nervously. I could've sworn beneath that mask was a blush. "Can we...keep talking?" He asked quietly, almost muttering. I thought, my hand still in his. "Okay. But let's go somewhere quieter." He nodded as I led him out of the gym, into the cold autumn weather. "So why are we out here?" He asked, sitting down on a bench beside me. I shivered a little before continuing. "I wanted to see who you are." I said bluntly, watching him look away nervously. "I don't think that's a good idea." He said, swinging his legs back and forth. "Why not?" I asked as I leaned in a little, trying to get the boy to look at me. "People don't really like me. This is my chance to have people not take one look at me and think 'he's weird'. But if you know who I am then..." He trailed off, sighing and rubbing his hands together. "Then what? I won't like you anymore?" I laughed as he nodded. "What?" He asked, confused by my response. "People usually see me and judge me right off the bat. Maybe since we're both weirdos we won't scare each other off." I said as he looked away, nodding to himself in thought.

The boy reached up bringing the dark green mask off of his face. "Louis?" I asked, shocked. The first time I met him I was annoyed. I judged him for being so happy and cheery all the time. Maybe this time would be different. "It's...your turn now." He mumbled as I remembered the deep red mask hiding my face. I reached up, pulling it off carefully so it didn't ruin my hair. The boy remained silent, I could've sworn his face paled a little. "...Clementine?" He asked nervously. "Uhh...yeah? What, am I really that scary?" I asked, laughing nervously and fiddling with my hands. "I mean...kinda." He joked. Clearly I wasn't who he was expecting. "I don't bite. It's only for show." I shrugged, noticing the boy relax a little bit next to me. "Oh...well I'm glad. For a minute there I was afraid you'd kill me." He laughed with me as we grew a little more acquainted. Maybe this whole thing wasn't so bad after all.

"So...why'd you ask me?" I questioned as Louis paused, remembering what he'd said. "Because...I don't know. Because." He shrugged, clearly nervous about the topic. "You said the dare was to ask who you found most attractive. So why'd you pick me?" Wait...why am I asking this again? "Well...you were alone. And you seemed really tense. And...mysterious. I don't know, I was just drawn to you. I still am." He whispered the last part, not thinking I'd hear. But I did. "You still are, huh?" I joked, trying to conceal how anxious I was getting. "What? I mean...uhh...yes?" He smiled through the fear. There was a lot to fear, that's for sure. "Good." I replied, watching as his cheeks turned the same colour as my dress. I didn't really notice how close I was getting, or how I'd leaned in. I only noticed when he looked to me, how close we were. Not close enough.

My lips connected with his gently, I could feel his shoulders loosen as the tension faded. I felt myself becoming more relaxed as well, the longer we held the kiss. I pulled away, lingering near his face and contemplating whether to kiss him again or not. I didn't feel like I'd had enough, but...what about him? "You know..." He whispered, connecting his forehead with mine lovingly. "You're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen..." The boy's voice sent shivers down my skin as I exhaled sharply, trying to keep from freaking out. Was this love? I leaned in once more, a more passionate kiss as I placed my hand on his cheek. It only deepened our kiss the longer our lips touched. This felt right. "Clementine..." He said quietly, pulling away. "Yes?" I questioned back as he grabbed my hands gently, holding them in his. "Will you be my girlfriend?" My stomach turned, however in a good way, as I thought. Was it too soon? "Isn't it too soon?" I said back, looking into his deep brown eyes. "I don't know. I just know that...I like you, Clem. A lot. And I want to be with you." I smiled gently, tired yet overwhelmed. "I want to be with you too." I whispered quietly. "So will you?" Louis asked again, my hands still in his. This feels like more than just a crush. It feels...like home. "Yes."

Damn. That was waaaay longer than I anticipated 😂
Well I hope you enjoyed this because it was hard to plan out. Because being creative is hard sometimes lol. But it was really fun to write.
Thanks for reading!