Insomnia

- General POV

Clem awoke with a start, gasping to fill her deprived lungs with air. Her lungs however, weren't the only things that were deprived. Late in the night, she heard distant sounds of a piano. Louis. She got up and walked down the corridors. Clem shivered from the cold, making her way quickly to the main building, where the piano was. Both the piano and Louis. When she made it there, she stood in the doorway, listening to him play quietly in attempts to not wake the others. Clem walked in, behind him silently, as if he didn't know she was there. He hardly did, he was tired but couldn't sleep, and his mind was so focused on playing he hadn't noticed her come in. She wrapped her arms around her boyfriend, who seemed somewhat startled but knew who she was instantly. "You're awake too?" Louis asked her quietly, still intent on his music. "I had a bad dream, and I heard the piano so I figured I'd drop by." She replied tiredly. He stopped and hung his head down low, exhaling deeply. "What's wrong?" Clem asked out of concern, he wasn't usually like this.

"Lou?" She whispered when he didn't say anything. "It's nothing, I'm just... Thinking. Couldn't sleep, so I figured I'd play piano. Tune out the world for a while, y'know?" He tried to smile and show her that everything was okay, but she could see the pain that hid in his face. Resting her head on his shoulder, she gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before going to sit next to him. Still silence from the boy, who only moved over for her to sit. "Louis..." Clem started, trying to solve the thing that she didn't understand. She didn't know what was bothering him, but she certainly wanted to find out. "Hm?" Was all he said. In a quiet, gentle tone, she asked, "What's wrong?". He sighed, stopping the music and resting his hands on his lap. "I just... Screw up. All the time. It's all I'm good at. I don't understand... Why you like me. I don't get why I haven't died yet, I don't get why I'm even tolerated. H*ll, I don't get why I tolerate myself." Finally he spoke. But Clem didn't understand why he thought so negatively of himself. "Louis, everyone messes up. I've messed up. A lot. It doesn't mean you aren't good at anything else. You're an amazing boyfriend, and... You take such good care of AJ, too. You're a survivor, just like me. Just like all the other school kids. I don't just tolerate you, Lou. I... I love you." Clementine felt the tears as much as he did. She hated when he felt this way. Someone so good didn't deserve to doubt them self so much. His eyes turned from hurt to shock as he heard her say those 3 words. She'd never said them before, and neither had he. "I love you too, Clem." He said back, pushing his doubt aside. He knew she was right. She always was. But he still dreamt of his parents, and life before the apocalypse. He missed them, but... For all he knew, they were dead.

Finally, she wrapped her arms around him, the smile on her face never disappearing. She finally told him how she felt. And she wasn't lying. She did love him, so, so much. Now finally, he knew. And he felt the same. The couple exchanged a few kisses before finally, Clem grabbed Louis' hand and guided him to her and AJ's room. There, they lay on the bed, still hugging. He finally felt at peace.

I know it's not anyone's request, and I know that it's been about a month since updating this book. I'm sorry it's been so long, but I really hope you guys enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed writing it. Thanks for reading!