Just a Cold

Requested by nuurulnull. Thanks for the idea!

- Louis' POV

My eyes opened slowly to the sunlight, making me groan in discomfort as I tried to avoid the bright light. I shifted, turning in the bed and yawning, clearing my throat when I felt even more discomfort, now in my throat. I pulled the blanket up further, nuzzling my face into it and trying to gain a few extra moments of sleep. However the dryness in my throat only furthered the longer I laid there in my bed. I tried to clear my throat, however I gulped down air in a slight pain and itchiness as I sat up. Deciding I needed a drink, I grabbed the water bottle from my dresser and tried to wash down the odd sensations. However they only grew. "You're kidding...." I croaked, standing up and getting dressed. I looked into the mirror, noticing my pale complexion and finally, the redness in my throat. "F*ck."

"You ready to go, Lou?" Clem called to me as I walked through the courtyard, cringing at the dryness of the air I breathed. I opened my mouth, closing it again quickly and simply nodding. They can't know I'm sick. Then I'll be useless. I thought as we walked out into the forest, bows and arrows in hand. "So I guess teaching you to shoot properly was a good call?" She laughed. "Heh, yeah. I guess so." I tried, however noticing my voice sounded raspy and dry. She looked at me quizzically, turning her head to face me. "Something wrong? You sound off." Clem commented. "Huh? No. I just didn't wake up as early today. Still tired, y'know?" I laughed it off as we neared the hunting traps. "I guess that's why you're pale too then." She nodded slightly before drawing back an arrow. She motioned me to be quiet as she aimed at the small rabbit, sitting peacefully in the clearing. I tried to remain quiet, however the dry air practically choked me as I let out an excruciating wheeze. Clementine shot just as the rabbit took off in fear, leaving the arrow piercing the dirt. "D*mmit, Louis! Was that on purpose or something?!" She rolled her eyes in frustration, walking over to retrieve the arrow. "No, it's just really dry. Sorry." I croaked in discomfort.

We kept walking, attempting to find more food for the day. I trailed behind Clem, who took the lead with bow and arrow ready. As I walked, my mind became fuzzy, leaving my ears ringing as I got more and more dizzy. Now out of control, I stumbled to the side, reaching for a tree but slipping past it and scraping my hand. "Agh!" I yelped as I landed on the hard ground. She spun around in surprise, laying the bow and arrow on the ground and running to me. "What happened?!" She said in concern as she helped me up. "I don't know. I just...felt really dizzy all the sudden." I tried to shake it off as she grabbed my hand, making me jerk back in pain as I remembered the scrape. "What?!" She looked confused as I examined the cut. "When we're done, we'll get Ruby to put some medicine on that. Lou, are you doing okay?" She took hold of my arm, facing me and waiting for a reply. "I think so, I just..." I trailed off. "What?" She urged. "Well I'm sick." Finally I admitted to it, although I received next to no reaction. "I didn't want people to know because it shouldn't get in the way of anything, and I don't want it to interfere." I said. Clem chuckled as she brushed some dirt off of my coat. "Louis, they aren't just going to devalue you because you're sick. It just means you need rest. And for the record, I think it's already interfered a lot today." She joked, walking back to retrieve the weapon she left on the ground. "Let's finish the hunting and then we can get Ruby to make you some tea. And after that, you could use some rest." She gestured me to follow again, now keeping me beside her as we finished the trip successfully.

This one's kinda short, so sorry about that. Been busy lately so it's hard to find time or motivation, but I'm trying to keep my schedule regular. Anyways, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed!! 🙃