Gone and Back Again (part 2)

(High-school AU)

- General POV

"We need to get together. Like, seriously." Louis laughed, hugging his friend from all those years ago. It felt so nice to see her again, but...somehow it felt different. Not necessarily in a bad way, but definitely different. "What's your number? I can ask if we can hang out." Clementine offered as she pulled out her phone. Louis quickly typed his number into her contacts, noticing how little contacts she had. "Why don't you have many contacts?" He asked, amused when she snatched her phone back. "You could say I don't have many friends here." She shrugged as they threw their trash away, starting to walk down the hall. "My Clemster doesn't have any friends?" He asked, pretending to be shocked when she rolled her eyes. It was okay though, she was still smiling when she did. "I said many, not any. Idiot." The girl laughed as they reached Louis' locker. "So who do you hang out with then?" He inquired, grabbing his binder and raising an eyebrow at her. "Uhh...well...myself?" She laughed. Maybe he was right...

(After school)

"Hey, Lee!" Clem said, dropping the heavy backpack onto the floor. "Hey sweet pea. How was school?" He smiled, continuing to chop the vegetables for their meal. "You'll never guess who I met today." She shook her head as he looked at her in confusion. "Do you remember Louis? From like, middle school?" She asked. He nodded back, a smirk tugging at his lip. "He moved back! And we have some classes together, we ate lunch together today, and--" she rambled on until finally, the man cut in. "You're not insinuating anything, are you?" He raised an eyebrow. Clem's eyes widened when she realized what he meant. "Oh my gosh, Lee! No! No, I just meant it was nice to see him again!" She waved her hands around, trying not to give the wrong idea. When Lee looked back to the carrot he was chopping, she then thought about it. Was it the wrong idea? "Uhm, anyways...we were planning on getting together sometime, just because, y'know, it's been so long. Is that okay with you?" Lee could tell she was excited. She always talked a lot when she was in a good mood. "Of course that's okay. Just remember, your curfew is 10 pm, okay?" She nodded excitedly before running upstairs.

"Hey" she texted the number he had given her. She didn't expect an answer for a while, it being Louis. But just as she went to shut off the screen, she saw it change. Beneath the message, it said 'read'. A weird feeling emerged in her stomach seeing that he'd read her message. Like nausea, but...in a good way. If that was even possible. She smiled to herself seeing the thought bubble appear, waiting as she sat down on her bed. "Sup, Clemster? 😉" he said. Clem started typing, hoping that they would be able to meet soon. Of course she shrugged off the giddiness that she felt, it was probably because she hadn't seen him in so long, "Lee said it was okay if we got together. Are you free anytime soon?" She felt slightly nervous waiting for a reply. One thing still confused her though, Louis never replies as fast as he did. Maybe it changed, but last she remembered he'd always take at least an hour. "Well, I'm single so ya we can get together 😉" he said. Clementine's heart beat faster. Maybe he interpreted it the wrong way, maybe he was just messing with her. Either way, it caught her off guard. "Wtf Louis 😂😂😂 you know what I meant" she was thankful they were just texting. Had that conversation happened in real life...well, Clem couldn't stop herself from suddenly blushing. Which was very unlike her.

- Louis' POV

Why the f*ck did I just say that? I thought. I was lucky that she didn't just stop texting. It was weird though. I do this a lot, just to mess with people. Why did it make me feel so giddy this time? "Lol I'm just messing with you. We can meet up at 7?" I texted back. Let's hope she could...

- General POV

"Yeah, I can do that. But I have a curfew for 10" Clementine texted. Her heart was still beating faster than usual. It was weird. "Cool, see you then 🙃" Louis replied. Okay, now she had to figure out what to wear. Why so early? She thought. You know what? Let's just go with it...

(Later, around 7 pm)

Clementine sat up in her room, checking her outfit one last time. Black crop top, green denim shorts. And sneakers. This should be okay, she thought. "Clem, I think Louis is here to pick you up!" Carly shouted from downstairs. "Coming!" She shouted back before running down the stairs. Maybe it would be cold out? It was already getting dark. Nah, summer hadn't ended yet. It couldn't be that cold out. Clem answered when the doorbell rang, seeing Louis standing outside. He looked excited. Of course AJ ran to the door to see who it was. "Louis!" The little boy exclaimed, not hesitating to run out and hug the taller boy. "Hey little man. How you been?" He laughed, hugging him back. "Good!" He said, smiling widely. "I didn't think he'd remember you." Clem joked as he ran back inside to Tenn. They were having a sleepover tonight. "Hah, me neither. You ready to go?" He asked as she nodded, saying goodbye and joining him in his car.

They drove in silence, the streets were near empty around them. "So, uhm...where exactly are we going?" Clem asked. She wasn't sure where he lived anymore, but she knew it wasn't around all these farms. "Well, I thought it'd be nice to do a sort of 'Throw back Thursday' type thing." He laughed nervously as they drove on the dirt road. "It's Friday, Lou." She laughed. It was definitely appreciated though. "You never answered my question though." She informed, looking out the window to see livestock wandering in the nearby farms. "It's a surprise. But uhm...I may or may not have forgotten something...kinda crucial. It's okay though, we'll figure it out." His words made her brows furrow in confusion. What did he mean?

Warning: things get a little heated in the next part.