Survivor

Requested by isabellaLlama. Thanks for the idea! (And sorry it took so long!! I wanted to wait until I could write smoothly, to avoid it being choppy. Hope you enjoy though <3)

- General POV

Clementine screamed in pain as the axe came down on her leg. "AJ!" The little boy's heart shattered hearing her in such pain. As much as he hated it, he was relieved seeing her body slump against the hay unconsciously. Mostly because of the sickening sight of the axe lodged in her left leg. With a few more chops, finally he saw the end of it as her leg was detached from the rest of the girl's body. He could only hope she wasn't mad at him for doing this. Blood poured out from the wound, making AJ sick as he tried to think fast. Her skin was pale enough as is, now there was a chance she'd bleed to death, before she even turned. He grabbed some of the hay quickly, pulling out the lighter she kept in her pocket. No idea how she found it, but it worked and he knew he'd take it. The boy started heating the bloody axe, the metal getting more and more red the hotter it was. It didn't take him long to put the axe against her leg, making him almost vomit at the smell. It sizzled against Clementine's leg, sealing the wound to stop the bleeding.

Finally AJ finished the cot-cau-seal, relieved although he knew it was far from the end. After using his jacket to wrap the wound, he quickly checked her temperature. She was still alive. Walkers banged on the bars, angered and hungry. It would be the hardest part. The boy took the walker from earlier, rubbing guts on the teen's body to cover her scent. He dumped out the wheelbarrow and brought it right behind her. Of course the boy was strong, but...trying to pick up a teenage girl was hard. After much effort, finally he was able to get her into the contraption. She was still unconscious, and very...pale. AJ was frightened for her, but he knew they had to get back to the school. No ammo, so the only weapon was the axe. Which was too heavy, so...Clem's knife! The boy held the weapons in his hand, lifting the wheelbarrow and pushing (with a lot of effort) out of the barn.

They made it past the walkers and were on their way back to the school. "Hang in there, Clem. Please." They boy's tears never dried, but maybe there would be better chance they would once the school was in sight. He recognized the fishing shack. Pushing heavily, he finally saw the traps. They were close. AJ carried himself and Clem as fast as he could to the building ahead. There was shouting, and two people positioned outside. Maybe they were waiting for them? One ran inside while the taller figure nearly sprinted to them. "AJ!" Louis shouted. The boy put down the wheelbarrow, running to meet the father-figure. "W-what happened?!" He asked as they embraced quickly. "Clem!" AJ felt guilt when Louis saw her missing leg, running up beside her unconscious body and holding her. "She got bit." The little boy said. Louis picked up the wheelbarrow quickly, going quickly inside the schoolyard. It wasn't safe out there.

"Holy sh*t, what the h*ll happened?!" Violet gasped seeing her friend's condition. "AJ said she got bit." Said Louis as Ruby came running up. "Bit? By a walker?" Ruby asked fearfully. "I cut off her leg, s-so she wouldn't turn." What if they were mad, AJ thought. Were they mad he tried to save her life? "Is she going to turn?" Omar asked as he approached. The whole school had gathered, trying to figure out what to do. "You did the right thing, AJ." Ruby said as they carried Clementine inside.

It was a waiting game now. AJ sat alone on the bench, waiting for news, or...something. "Hey, little dude." A worried and tired voice said. He turned his head to see Louis, sitting down next to him. "Hey." AJ was worried beyond belief. More worried than he'd been his entire life. He figured Louis felt the same way, with that...kissing thing they kept doing. "You did the right thing AJ. So...thanks. For bringing her back." The taller boy said quietly. AJ sighed. For once, he wasn't sure. What if she turned anyways? "She wanted me to kill her." He said almost harshly. Louis turned in surprise, but...the longer it soaked in, the more it made sense. "Better than becoming a walker. She was probably telling you the same as Lee told her." Louis watched the younger boy who stared at the ground, moving a little closer. For comfort. "Lee told her to kill him?" AJ asked. "Mm-hm. That's what she said during our first card game. I regret asking her that question." He nodded to himself. "Is she gonna be okay?" AJ looked directly into his eyes a moment. It was hard to say at this point. "She's a survivor. That girl has cheated death too many times to count, from what I've heard. I'm sure she can do it one more time." He nudged AJ a little, before wrapping an arm around the young boy. "Wanna go check up on her?" "Yeah."

The two neared the room. Silence. Then knocking, and their entrance. A young girl covered by the blankets, resting on her side. Pale, tired, weak...but still alive. Somehow. "Clem?" Louis asked in a whisper, placing a hand delicately on her arm. AJ didn't hesitate to get on the bed next to her. Since she faced the wall, he went on the inside, curling up facing her. Clementine's steady breaths calmed him instantly, just as when he was a baby. Her familiar scent put him at ease, and...he fell asleep, almost instantly. But not before he felt her arm wrap around him. "I love you AJ." She whispered. Barely able to speak, but somehow the words still came out.

"Clementine?" Louis asked as he sat on the side of the bed. "Lou--" Clem coughed, her body shaking violently. "Hey, hey. Take it easy, okay?" He smiled at her, eyebrows furrowed in worry. "I guess you know what happened?" The teen asked to the other, who sat up slightly to meet him. She only nodded as AJ pulled up closer to her, resting his head just below her chest. She looked back to Louis, smiling back to him a moment. He held out his hand lovingly, content as she gladly accepted and held his hand. "I...I love you, Clem." He whispered. Her amber eyes widened slightly. However, it was in a good way. "I love you back, Louis."

Again, I'm sooooo so sorry this came out so late. I wanted to make sure that this oneshot would be good, but I just couldn't put it to words. Nothing came until today. But anyways, I hope you enjoyed, and thank you so much for being patient with me ❤️