Silent Love

Just wanna say that I love this video 😉😊

- General POV

Ever since Louis had his tongue cut out, he'd barely said a word. He always avoided talking whenever he could, despite everyone writing him notes and talking to him, urging him to... Be himself. Clementine in particular was very worried for him, seeing as he'd barely eaten or communicated with anyone recently, including her. There were books for American Sign Language in the library, although whenever anyone visited him in the piano room, he hid them and went back to his room. This had gone on for multiple days, even weeks. And now Clem decided that it was enough. She entered the piano room as Louis hit a few keys on the piano, not playing anything in particular. As expected, he stood upon seeing her and attempted to walk past her. Before he could though, she grabbed his arm, holding him back as he sighed. "Louis, please... Talk to me..." She whimpered seeing the guilt on his face and feeling awful for his misery. All he did in response however was give her a quick kiss on her cheek, a forced smile before he pulled out of her grasp and went back to his room.

Back in his room, tears filled Louis' eyes as he pulled out a piece of paper, along with a pen. He just started writing, as though it were a letter to Clementine, whom he loved. He never got the chance to tell her, and he never would. She wouldn't understand him signing it to her, and he didn't feel complete without his voice. Tears dripped onto the discoloured paper as it was slowly filled with words. Worrying, disheartening and sorrowful words. The pain Louis felt as he wrote was indescribable, but eventually the letter was finished, and he re-read it to himself as though he'd actually give it to her. At this point, he wasn't sure.

Back in the piano room, Clementine fought back the guilt and sympathy she felt for the mute boy. She walked with her prosthetic leg over to the couch inside the room. However as she went to walk past, she tripped on something, barely able to regain her balance. Turning in frustration, she noticed a book, laying on the ground. Clem picked it up, reading the title, which read "American Sign Language". Has he been learning this whole time? She wondered, flipping continuously through the pages. Finally she realized what she had to do, and she got to work flipping through the pages in her search.

A knock came on the door of Louis' room, and he sat up slowly from his bed to see none other than Clem. He sighed, still upset and even more so now that he saw her cheery appearance. "Hey, Lou..." She said uncertainly as he reached in his coat pocket. He handed her the letter unsurely, trying not to regret giving it to her, although he knew he would. "A letter?" She asked in surprise, opening it up, yet not ready for the words it contained.

"Dear Clementine,

I'm sorry I can't be the boyfriend you want me to be. I'm sorry I talked too much, and I'm sorry for getting my tongue cut out. There are so, so many feelings I have for you, and I wish we could be together... But I have to accept that I'm just not good enough for you. Not anymore. Maybe I never was. Now that I can't talk... I don't see why anyone would want to be with someone like me. You deserve so much better, Clem. I wish I could be better for you, but knowing how hard it is to even say the simplest words to you - I just have to move on, because I know you'll never want to be with me.

Sincerely, Louis"

Clementine cried at the heartbreaking letter, looking back to Louis before embracing him suddenly. She pulled away, her expression turning to a strenuous attempt to remember something. She now raised her hands, moving them in the actions of sign language and communicating to him the only way he could. Slowly and uncertainly, she worded it out. "I promise I won't leave you, because I am falling in love with you. I will stay with you, and... I love you." Clem signed to him, and, judging by his reaction, he understood. Louis smiled to her with a silent chuckle, correcting the one sign that she got wrong. "Close enough." She laughed, for once feeling okay. He wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her close and kissing her, for the first time in a long time. The feeling of longing and love came over the two as they deepened the kiss, embracing each other and bodies touching, feeling happy once again. Finally Louis broke from the kiss, using his one hand to sign back to her. "I love you." He smiled, kissing her once more. From then on, he knew he'd never stay silent again.

Well I got my work for today done. I have to write an essay rough draft tomorrow 😣 I've been wanting to learn ASL myself, so for whatever reason I made this oneshot. Hopefully I'll be writing more soon, and I'll try to write a request next time 😉 Thanks for reading!