Positive (part 2)

- Clementine's POV

The past weeks had been quiet and uneventful. After telling the rest of the school, Ruby got to work studying how to deliver a baby. People were worried, as was I, but...they were happy too.
"You're...per...pregant?" AJ asked, face twisted in confusion. "Pregnant. And yes, I am. I'm going to be having a kid." I corrected, many months ago. Now I laid on my bed, hand rested on my stomach and thinking. My mind wandered back to when I met my cousin, the one my aunt gave birth to. He was tiny, and loud. And amazing. Maybe my baby would be something like that. I'd find out soon, it could be any day now according to Ruby. I thought back to AJ, and Rebecca. It was like a dream holding a newborn baby AJ, but...Rebecca lost too much blood, and they didn't have the right equipment. We don't have the right equipment either. My eyes started to tear thinking about that happening. Giving birth and only getting to see the baby a few times. Leaving the baby, and AJ, and...Louis. No matter how hard things were these past nine months, he always kept a smile. Sometimes it angered me how he could be so cheerful, but I only envied it. I could tell he worried as much as I did. What if I left them, and died? Maybe this would be the time I couldn't cheat death. Not like I always have.

Suddenly I felt something from my stomach, and focused my attention back onto it. "You always know when I'm upset, huh?" I whispered, giving a small giggle as the baby's kicking continued. "We're gonna have to find you a name, won't we? It'll be a good name though. I won't let Louis name you something stupid." I laughed at the thought of it. "You're gonna be a smart one." I said as I stood. It amazed me how the baby always gave a little kick, whenever something was wrong. If I was stressed, or upset or angry. I walked over to the mirror, fixing my hair quickly before walking out of the room. "Hey Ruby." I smiled a little as she walked by. "Hey, Clem! How you been doing?" She asked, pausing in the hall to talk. "Good. There's a lot of kicking lately though, I'm not sure why." I said with a laugh. She smiled back. "Well at least we know the baby's doing okay. As long as you're doing good too. Should be any day now..." She trailed off, giving a quick wave as she continued on her way.

I reached the set of stairs, walking down with my wooden leg as I held the railing. It clicked on the wood as I made my way down, creaking as usual. As I kept walking however, the nausea hit. I stopped on one of the steps, using my free arm to hold my stomach as I tried to keep going. My vision started to blur as dizziness took over, and an immense pain set in out of nowhere. I groaned in pain, holding the railing tighter as I took one more step down, right before feeling something warm and wet start dripping down my legs. My eyes widened in realization as I cursed repeatedly under my breath. What do I do?! I thought, looking around. Stuck on the stairs and starting to give birth. And alone.

I heard footsteps and a door swing open from below me. "Hello?! I need some help over here!" I called out as my legs became shaky, and my voice started giving. "Wha- Clem? What's wrong?!" Louis rushed up the stairs to meet me, wrapping an arm around me quickly and looking down confusedly. "Oh..." He exhaled, seeing the wet on my pants. "Oh!" He finally repeated as the realization set in. He picked me up quickly, carrying me back up the stairs and into our room. "Just...just stay here, I'll...find Ruby." He stuttered, practically running back out. I covered my mouth as the pain grew worse and worse, fighting not to make noise. "Clem!" The two rushed inside together, Ruby's hands full of medical equipment she gathered. "You should go tell AJ." She said to Louis, who hesitated looking at me. I nodded as she set everything up on the dresser beside me, Louis finally going for a moment to make sure AJ wouldn't get too worried.

By the time Louis got back the pain had already escalated too much for me to keep quiet. He jogged inside, eyes immediately fixed on me as he locked the door behind him. "Do you need any help?" He asked Ruby anxiously. "For now, just focus on keeping her calm." She pointed to me as he knelt beside the bed. "Clem, are you doing okay?" He asked with his face full of worry. "Well I'm...about to give birth. And...what do you think?!" I cried as another wave of pain came over me. He held my hand as I tried to let out the pain, moving his other hand and stroking it through my hair. "Clem, it'll be okay." He tried to reassure, only gaining another cry of pain in response.

Hours later, or what seemed like it, and after thinking I'd pass out many times, Ruby finally spoke up. "I can see the head!!" She almost shouted, allowing for Louis to momentarily leave my side as he went to go see. "Clem! Clem, we can see its head! You're doing such a good job, baby. Just hang in there." He came back over, running a hand through my hair, and cupping my face a moment. "Clem, you need to push!" Ruby's voice echoed in my head as I tried harder. My own voice echoed in my head as I practically screamed from pain. My whole body shook, surely this was worse than turning into a walker. Yet at one point all those walkers were people. Every one of those people had a mother, who gave birth to them. I was doing the same. I could hardly feel the tears roll down my cheeks as it kept going, longer and longer.

Longer and longer the pain balanced out. "Louis, come see! It's whole head is out now!" Ruby gestured him over, and he squeezed my hand quickly before rushing over again. His face changed from worried to overjoyed as he rushed back to me. "The baby's beautiful. I'd say we did a pretty good job." He joked, laughing more as I glared at him. "This'll be the hardest part, the baby's shoulders." She said, face now turning to worry. Louis looked me directly in my eyes, keeping direct eye contact as I kept pushing. I fought to keep my eyes open, squeezing them shut as I let out another cry. "Hey...it's gonna be okay." He said calmly, squeezing my hand tightly and using the other to wipe the tears from my face. Another wave of indescribable pain passed over me as the baby's shoulders came out, and I could've sworn I passed out for a moment.

"Come on, Clem. Stay with me! You're so close!" Louis said, brushing the hair out of my face and kissing my forehead. "How far are we?" He asked, never letting go of my hand. "After the hips, it'll be easy to help the baby out." Ruby replied as he nodded back to her. "Hear that, Clem? We're so close! You can do it!" He urged, although the worry on his face became more and more apparent. He leaned back over to Ruby for a moment. "She's really pale...", he said. She glanced up at me, looking back to him after seeing me. "Just keep her awake. We'll make sure she's okay, don't worry." She said.

I blurred in and out of consciousness, hearing a cry other than my own not soon after. "Louis! I need you to cut the umbilical cord!" Ruby almost yelled as he scrambled to find the scissors. I heard a snip, and only seconds later she ordered him to grab the blanket she brought. Louis rushed back to me, grabbing my hand but surprised at how cold it was. "Ruby, she's really not doing well..." He looked back, face becoming more and more scared. "Clem...it's a girl." He whispered, now sitting on the bed beside me, forehead touching mine as he put a gentle hand over my now-flat stomach. "Where is she?" I coughed weakly, still trying to stay awake. "Ruby's cleaning her up really quick, she'll be back in a second. I promise baby, you'll see her." I noticed the tears forming in his eyes. "Lou, are you...afraid?" I asked, my breaths slowing. He nodded. "I'm afraid. I have been for the past nine months, but now...please, Clem...just hang in there. Please be okay." He cried, still holding me close as the door opened again.

Louis took the baby, who still cried quietly, as Ruby moved the pillows for me to sit up slightly more. "Here, Clem." He smiled tiredly as he handed me the tiny child. I took her in my arms, fighting to keep my eyes open just as she was fighting to open hers for the first time. Louis still sat right next to me, arm around me as I focused on the little girl. I couldn't leave her. Not yet. Not her, or AJ or Louis. My family. I didn't plan to leave for a long time. She made little noises as she wiggled in the blanket she was wrapped in. "What's her name?" Ruby asked. I realized that we never decided on a name. I looked to Louis, who was equally as clueless. He leaned in closely, whispering something to me. We looked at each other a moment before I turned back to my baby girl. "Her name is Jaiyana. Jaiyana Lee." I smiled as the little girl's face twisted in discomfort. However we kept watching in amazement as she struggled, finally squinting her eyes open. "Fiery amber, like yours." Louis commented, planting a kiss on my cheek. "Yeah, but she'll have your smile, I know." I smiled back as Ruby left to give us a moment. "She's perfect."

Aww am I the only one feeling attached to this baby now?! Hope you guys like the name lol. Thanks for reading!