Class Clown (Part 2)

- Clementine's POV

Oh god. Oh God. OH. GOD. WHAT DO I DO??! I tensed up, stuttering like an idiot while my face turned red. He stared at me confusedly, the awkwardness thick in the air. "We can go sit by that tree over there. Or at the library, or your house, if you wanted to," Louis listed, pointing to a tree in the schoolyard before listing other places. I barely thought, just nodding stupidly.
"Yeah, we can sit by the tree, that works," I agreed, walking quickly past him to avoid embarrassing myself further.
I could feel his eyes on me in confusion as I speed-walked to the tree, nearly throwing down my backpack on the ground before looking back at him. He watched, eyebrow raised, until he finally decided to join me. "So...how are you today?" He asked awkwardly.
"Oh, I'm..fine. Fine, thanks. And you?" Oh my God why did I have to sound so stupid. It's like every little thing he said caught me off-guard like some question I wasn't expecting to hear. I felt so nauseated and stressed that my brain just didn't work.
"Good. I'm good, just...concerned. Are you sick or something? Your face is really red," he questioned. Okay, well at least this time I can say there was a question I wasn't expecting.
"Oh, uhm...I don't know? Hah, I'm just like...I don't know! It's warm, I guess..." I trailed off as I felt the heat in my face rising more and more.
"Really? I thought it was pretty cold out today. That's why I brought my coat," Louis replied. I could tell by this point he was trying to ease tension, which, I mean, I didn't complain.
"The trench coat, yeah. The one that looks like you could sell drugs from it," I joked, regretting it as soon as the sentence left my mouth. It dug in deeper when he gave me a strange, weirded-out smirk from the side.
"I mean..I guess?" He laughed along.
"I- forget I said that, I'm just really bad with jokes.." I muttered. "Okay, so..do you have any ideas for this project?" I continued as I changed the topic. Not very smoothly, but it worked.
"Ah..not really. Me and my buddy Marlon were just gonna make up some shit excuse or like...I don't know, not put much work in kinda thing. It's what I usually do.." He confessed, shrugging with a hint of embarrassment.
"Oh...wait, so how do you pass your classes then?" I inquired.
"I..don't know," he laughed back uncertainly. "I just kinda do, I guess. It just happens...a lot of things just happen."
"Yeah. Like us being partners for this project," I joked again, this time earning a chuckle from Louis.
"So...my coat reminds you of a drug dealer's?" He questioned with a grin.
"Uhh...I mean..no offense? Kinda."

"Well, let me show you something then..." he trailed off, reaching inside his coat to pull something out. I began to worry. But just as I was about to ask him what he was going to show me, he pulled out his deck of playing cards, waving them to show me.
"You really take those everywhere?" I asked.
"Yep. I mean, who knows when I'm gonna need them," Louis defended jokingly, taking the pack of 52 out of the box and beginning to shuffle them.
"Riiight. So why are you shuffling them right now, again?"

"Well, by this point I've figured out that you're not sick, you're anxious. It's pretty obvious, I mean I remember that one day you were in class coughing and when someone looked your way, you stared them back until they stopped. So even being sick, you don't act so shy," he went on, unraveling my whole escape of him thinking I just had a cold. "So, do you care to tell me why you're so nervous?" The boy grinned, causing my face to go red again as I looked away from him quickly.
"Uhh, I think I'm good," I answered as he began dealing the cards evenly between us. "What're you doing?"
"Well I thought if we don't know what we're doing for the project, and we also don't know each other...why don't we play a game?" Louis explained as he split the deck between the two of us, picking up his half.
"...We just met today. You didn't seem to like me at all until you came to me after school, so are you going to spread more rumors about me?" I inquired as I picked up my half-deck, face down, eyeing him suspiciously.

"No. I'm not like the popular kids. I mean like...I am, but I'm not like them, you know? Basically, okay, I'll put it this way: if I spread a rumor about you, you're going to know. And if you know, you're going to kick my ass. Therefore I do not want to try anything that would risk this beautiful face of mine." The teenage boy batted his eyelashes at me, jokingly displaying his beauty as he set down a card on the grass.
"Fair enough, but I'd do more than just beat your ass.." I trailed off, smirking when he glanced at me concernedly. I put down my card, it was higher than his. "What now?"
"Now, you get to ask me a question," he grinned widely, awaiting my question.
"Okay, hmm. Didn't you have detention today?" His face paled as I laughed.
"We won't speak of that, ok? Ok! Moving on," Louis cleared his throat, placing down another card. This time, higher than mine. "Nice. So, Clem..." he started, leaning closer.
"Clem?" I repeated, watching him nod. Okay, I guess we were on nickname-basis now.

"Why were you so flustered earlier?" Fuck.
"Oh..uhh......no reason. I was just like..I'm an awkward person, what can I say?" I lied, watching him grin wider. He knew.
"You know if you lie during this game...I get to dare you." He smirked deviously. His face was closer now...why..
"You never mentioned that--"
"You never mentioned lying as an option, either. So why were you really flustered?" He cut me off.
"Why do I have to say?"
"I'll assume, otherwise."

"What'll you assume?" I looked to him, now nervously as his eyes met mine. Suddenly he got a whole lot closer, I don't know why.
"Maybe I'll assume it's because you have feelings for me?" I wanted to shove him off and tell him not every girl he passes gets flustered because they like him...but then I'd be a hypocrite. Because that's exactly why I got flustered at all. Otherwise I'd have been completely fine, but the truth is...I really wanted to kiss him right then. I could feel my heart thumping against my chest, and the blood rushing to my face as our lips were now only inches apart. And the worst part was that he looked to be in the same boat...