Class Clown (Part 1)

- Clementine's POV

There he was. I sat in class, every day. And every day, the same lone person was almost exactly 12 minutes late.
"Louis. Late again, I see..." Ms. Lilly spoke with annoyance, a scowl across her face, as always. The tall boy barely noticed her, he'd decidedly started ignoring her comments at the beginning of every lesson. It was the same every day. Walk in class, ignore Ms. Lilly, and sit down in his desk, which was behind Mitch's, which was behind mine. He wasn't like, the cliche 'bad boy' of the school. You know, the one that gets in fights, has hookups on the daily, back-sasses the teacher, drinks, all that stuff. The one with the leather jacket that everyone is afraid of. I mean, if anything, that kind of person is me. It seems like every week there's a new rumour about how brutal and horrible I am. No, Louis is more of a...class clown.
Always joking, never shuts up, carries a deck of playing cards like a dealer carries drugs. Although, he did back-sass the teacher sometimes. Which always resulted in detention.
"Louis," Ms. Lilly chastised, seeing him not paying attention. Her harsh voice snapped me out of my thoughts quickly as I turned around to see what was going on this time.
"Yes?" He replied nonchalantly. Smiling that stupid innocent smile he always gave her.
"Are you passing notes?" She raised an eyebrow, walking past my desk and stopping at his.
"Hmm...nope!" He continued on with his innocence story.
"Would you like me to read it to the class?"
"Would you like me to read your text messages to the class? I doubt it, it's probably not suitable for minors.." He trailed off with a mischievous grin. The class 'ooh'ed and laughed at the remark, although the teacher was less than impressed. She stared him down like a hawk.
"Detention. See me after class." Louis rolled his eyes when she walked away. He knew it was coming, but did he care? Not really.

"We're starting a project," Ms. Lilly announced, almost at the end of class. "I'm letting you choose your partners since it's an out-of-class project. You and your partner will have to get together outside of school, so pick someone you get along with." She eyed everyone carefully, the students talking amongst themselves, eager to get with their friends. Sad that I didn't have any.
"Oh, Louis," she spoke up quickly, seeing Marlon begin to approach his desk. Together, she knew the two of them never got anything done. "You've been...troubling, these past few weeks. Disturbing the peace a lot more. I have to make an exception for you, I want this project to actually get done in your part."
"What?! That's not--"
"Who doesn't have a partner yet? Raise your hand," she interrupted him before he could argue more. I raised my hand hesitantly. What choice did I have, the only people left without partners were Minerva and Gabriel. Minerva hated my guts, don't know why, and Gabe...never did anything except stare at me, really.
"Clementine, you get work done, don't you?" She inquired. I just nodded, my heart was starting to beat a lot faster than usual. "Great. Louis, you and Clementine will be partners for this project now. Class dismissed."

"Great...I'm stuck with the scorpion now. Wish me luck, bro," I heard Louis mumble to Marlon as they grabbed their bags. I won't lie...I felt a little discouraged. Everyone always just took one look at me and judged. But what would I expect from him? He couldn't understand what's it's like to be an underdog. But I'm going to make this work, at least so I pass. I don't want to give people another reason to hate me.

"Hey..Louis," I said, my voice struggling past my self-consciousness and my unbearable nervousness. He looked up from his locker, confused until he saw me to his left.
"Oh..hey," he mumbled. I watched him grab his forest-green backpack, shrugging it over his left shoulder and slamming his locker shut. He began walking past me, I froze up a moment before trying to keep him a minute more.
"So...are we doing the project?" I questioned. Louis stopped, turning around with an irritated look on his face.
"Maybe another time," he said, beginning to turn again. I knew why he thought I was an asshole. Everyone did, but...it was just different with him. It was the first time in years that the judgement actually got to me.
"Uhh...yeah, I-" I started, cutting myself off when I saw him begin to walk away again. I simply remained silent. What else was I supposed to do, beg him to start on it tonight? I may be an underdog but I'm not pathetic.

- Louis' POV

I looked behind me, there was something bothering me about her response being cut short. I saw her, she sighed, turning around like she'd lost. I narrowed my eyebrows in confusion. She never said a word in class, always looked like she was ready to murder someone. But she seemed defeated when I turned her down. But why was that my problem? Was it?

I walked outside the school, deciding to sit on the railing between the schoolyard and the parking lot. I checked my watch, I'd been waiting a while. Marlon texted me, he was busy today, and I never wanted to go home really. It was tough seeing my dad.
She walked out quickly, seemed almost like she'd forgotten out brief encounter. Then again, there was that...look on her face. It wasn't normal, it wasn't screaming 'don't fuck with me.' It was more like...'not today.' In a moment of impulsiveness, I called out.
"Hey, Clementine!"
She looked up surprisedly, spotting me out almost immediately and seemingly waiting for another sign it was actually me calling her over. I gestured, slightly regretting it, but whatever. What is life without regrets?
"My schedule cleared up," I lied. "Are you still up to get started on the project?" Why did I lie, why did I think she would ever believe that lie. Whenever she looked at me I felt like she stared straight into my soul. But, to my surprise, she looked...happy.
"Uh-" she stuttered. Why did she act so weird around me? Everyone else I know who's met her said she was a crazy bitch that's like cold, hard rock. "Yeah..yeah! Yeah, sure. We can...we can start on the project today. Uhm..where do you want to go?" Why was she stuttering so much? Why did she look so hot? It's autumn and I was wearing my trenchcoat, shouldn't she be cold? I decided to just go along with it, maybe she was just feeling sick. Maybe she'd be fine once we got started...

Hello lovely people. Sorry it's been a while. Ugh. I hope you're all staying safe with the virus and everything, please try to practice social distancing, it's really important. Anyways, I'm going to try and make this into a few parts, because, well...this one's barely started on that *premium Clouis content*
Happy late one year anniversary of the last episode, happy late Easter, happy late birthdays to any of you who had them. I hope you're all doing good, if you need support I'm always here, don't forget that <3
Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed this oneshot! ❤️