#01 ; m.bartra EN

WHEN LILY entered Marc's room that morning, she didn't expect to see him fully awake

WHEN LILY entered Marc's room that morning, she didn't expect to see him fully awake. At all.

On the contrary, on her way to the hospital, she was thinking about him. She was always thinking about him, but today more than usual. She was thinking of his bedroom, of the fact that it was Christmas in a week and that he couldn't celebrate it.

Marc Bartra was in a coma since three months. And she was one of the nurse who was taking care of him. They were three: one of them was doing the night shifts, and the other one was working during the weekends.

When Marc woke up, the doctor was in his bedroom, and the latter was surprised to see how calm the football player was.

"What happened to me?" he simply asked, and the doctor took his time to explain him how he ended up in that very bed.

"You need some time to understand, I'll come back to you later to make a series of exams," the doctor decided.

"Wait, Doctor...did you decorate the room like that?" Marc asked, looking at the Christmas decorations in disbelief, and the doctor laughed.

"I definitely didn't. One of your nurses did. She will be here soon," he looked at his watch before leaving the room.
During the last twenty minutes, Marc had nothing better to do than to look closely at the decorations. And it was amazing. There was a small Christmas tree in front of him, with a golden star on top. There were tinsels everywhere in the room, an even fairy lights on the curtain rod.

This nurse went to a fair amount of effort to do that. He wondered if she had done the same in every room, but he didn't have time to think about it any further, because the door opened.
He looked at the person and smiled when he saw a nurse who was probably more or less his age. She seemed to be focus, so she didn't look at him straight away. When finally, she looked up and saw him smiling, she stopped moving, surprised.

"You're...you're awake," she said, not believing her eyes, and he laughed.

"Hi, are you the nurse who decorated my bedroom like that?"

"Oh."

He frowned, trying to understand what she meant by that "oh," but it was impossible to tell.

"Yes," she finally reacted, "it was me. I didn't think you would be awake to see them, actually."

"I am!" he smiled, and she smiled back, looking nostalgic. "What's your name?"

"Lily."

He frowned. This name reminded him of something.

"Did we know each other before my accident? The doctor said that it was perfectly normal not to remember everyone during a few days, but I feel like I know that name."

"We didn't. I'm a just a nurse. Maybe you heard my name when you arrive at the hospital, since I was there and you were half-conscious," she shrugged, and he nodded, unsure. His memory was a mess, and he didn't like it. "I'll bring you your breakfast," she said before leaving the room, and he smiled. She had decorated the room even though she thought he wouldn't be awake for Christmas, which was too cute.

🎄

The next three days went very fast for Marc. Indeed, his parents and twin visited him and some of his teammates--former and actual--as well. He remembered everyone, something that made him very proud.

It's on the fourth night since he was awake that he remembered Lily.
He woke up in the middle of night because of it. Because when he has closed his eyes to fall asleep, he had seen himself with Lily, on a beach, asking her to marry him.

When she entered the room the next morning, the first thing he did was to get up to hug her.

'Uh, Mr Bartra," she started, but he looked at her face before kissing her. She closed her eyes and kissed him back, smiling into the kiss.

"You lied to me," he mumbled, and she bit her lips.

"I'm sorry, the doctors said we had to let you remember everything by yourself. And you did," she smiled as if she didn't expect it.

"Of course I did. Just like I did wake up. Just like I did ask you to marry me," he smiled, looking at her. How could he have forgotten about his fiancee during three entire days? "I'm sorry. I must have been awful. Why were you my nurse?"

"They didn't know we were engaged, so I took the opportunity," she shrugged, and he laughed.

"Thank you for staying by side all this time."

"I'll stay by your side all my life."    

🎄 tomorrow: a player from Paris Saint-Germain 🎄