ch 14

"Hey Betts." Jughead sat down next to Betty, in the student lounge.

"Hi Jug!" Betty chirped.

"Wanna go to Pop's after school?" Jughead asked.

"No, sorry." Betty declined.

"Busy?"

"No."

Jughead was confused. "May I ask why you don't wanna go?"

"Well, there's meat at Pop's." Betty said. "And I became a vegetarian, suggested by the farm."

Jughead was frustrated. But he didn't show it.

"Oh, well, okay. That's okay." He smiled.

Just then, Veronica walked in, along with Cheryl and Toni. "Hey you guys." She smiled.

Veronica was in an obvious good mood.

"Hi V!" Betty smiled.

"Hello to you too, B!" Veronica smiled even wider.

"Anyways, I have a dinner tonight, with the people from the farm. If any of you wanna join us, you can!" Betty announced.

Cheryl rolled her eyes, while Toni looked worried.

"B, you do know that the farm is, I don't know, possibly a ritual?" Veronica said.

"V, it's not. Trust me. I thought that too, but I feel great now that I've joined it." Betty still had a smile on her lips.

Veronica sighed.

×××

Lodge was home, reading a book as usual. Her parents were playing chess by the fireplace.

All of a sudden, Veronica got a text notification on her phone.

She opened her phone, seeing that she had a text from Jughead.

Jughead: Hey, can you go to your room?

Veronica was confused.

That's scary. She thought. Nobody randomly tells another person to go to their room via text.

But then again, this was Jughead Jones.

She walked to her room, taking her time.

As soon as she closed her door, she heard a knock on her window.

Veronica sighed, before opening the window to let Jughead in.

"What's up with you and windows?" Veronica asked.

"It's easier." Jughead shrugged.

"I will defenestrate you." Veronica said. "Anyways, what do you want?"

"Well, I need you to come with me to spy on Betty's little farm dinner thing." Jughead said.

"Why me?" Veronica questioned.

"Because, I need help and you're the only option. The other Serpents don't even care." Jughead answered.

Veronica crossed her arms. "Fine."

×××

Jughead and Veronica were outside, looking through a window of the Cooper's house. They were spying on their little dinner with the farm.

"What the hell?" Jughead suddenly whispered.

"What?" Veronica questioned.

"See that chicken on their table?" Jughead asked.

"Yeah, so? What about it?"

"Betty said that she became vegetarian. And that the farm suggested being vegetarian to her." Jughead explained.

"Also, looking at it makes me hungry. And I'm not a good detective when I'm hungry. That's it, this was all set up." He added.

Veronica rolled her eyes. "Could you just ignore your stomach and stick to your brain?"

"Well, let's start with the basics. Which one do you think is Mr. Evernever?" Jughead inquired.

"That guy." Veronica pointed towards a fairly old man.

"Why? Because he's old?"

"Shut up, I bet you thought the same thing." Veronica crossed her arms.

Jughead shrugged. "Then let's just listen to that guy."

"How? He's inside." Veronica said. "We don't have that kind of superpower."

"Actually," Jughead reached into his little satchel that he brought, and got out a little radio. "I put a bug underneath his chair."

Veronica was in shock. "How?"

"I may or may have not went to visit Betty before the dinner. She told me where Mr. Evernever was sitting. Simple."

"Genius." Veronica smiled. "Occasionally."

--
wc: 576