➳4

The strongest drug that exists for a human, is another human being

You slipped in and out of consciousness, your head spun and you involuntarily closed your eyes to stop the shooting pain piercing into yourhead

Once you regained consciousness again, you were blinded with bright white light.
You heard murmuring and the faint sound of music and you wondered where you were and if it was all a dream.

Were you stabbed?
Did any of that happen?
Did you ever meet Mark?

All of this was soon cut off as a voice said your name in excitement.
"Areum! You're awake." You instantly recognised the voice to be Jaemin.
That voice calmed your nerves as you knew you weren't hallucinating about everything.
On the other hand, that meant everything was true.

Your eyes flew open and you jolted up into a sitting position, your head searing as you did.

"Fuck." You hissed and gripped your head.
After a few seconds of pain, you looked up to see two familiar faces- Jaemin and Mark.
Jaemin was grinning, radiating happiness. However, Mark was sat on a chair, unfazed.
He continued to listen to the music that was playing, while drumming his fingers on the armrest.

A part of you was disappointed, but what were you expecting?
You met twice, you're not exactly friends.
Not that you wanted to be his friend or anything, he basically told the man to kill you.

"Are you okay?" Jaemin fretted, repeating questions over and over.
You only nodded, not looking away from the expressionless boy.

Jaemin called you name once more, getting your attention.
"We have to go... I'm sorry." He looked down in shame.
"I called Miran..I figured you didn't want um..your aunt knowing."

You thanked him and assured him you were okay. He was hesitant but said his goodbyes and walked out the door, leaving you and Mark in the hospital room.
The door swung shut and the room was left in silence. Mark made no effort to acknowledge you but he didn't make any effort to follow Jaemin either.

After what felt like hours, he looked up and your eyes connected. He cleared his voice before talking.
"Look.." he began.
"This wouldn't have happened if you had just minded your own business"

As soon as he said that, a scoff left your lips.
"Are you fucking kidding me? You're saying I got stabbed because I was concerned about you?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying. I told you to leave me alone, but you're so persistent. I'm not someone you should worry or care about." He stated, standing up.

"Why's that?" You asked curiously.
He squinted his eyes in confusion.
"What?"
You rolled your eyes. "Why are you someone i shouldn't care about?"

Mark seemed taken aback, like he hadn't had anyone actually ask him.
"Who are you?" You added.

"Mark."

"No smartass, i mean what are you a part of."

Mark sighed heavily before running a hand through his brown hair.
"I'm a part of something I regret."

He walked towards the door, checking his pocket- the same gun was placed there. He looked up at you, noticing your reaction, then he hastily covered it with his shirt.
"And it's something you don't want to be involved in."

"Can't we...be friends?" You inwardly cursed at yourself at how stupid you sounded.
A sad chuckle came from him.

"You're too innocent Areum, I'd ruin you."

"Bu-"

"If you see me around, ignore me. And I'm sorry about your leg- I already paid for the medical bills." He informed.
Just as he was about to leave you stopped him.
"Wait!"

"What?" He snapped, annoyed.
"Did you mean it when you told him to kill me?" You asked, fiddling with your fingers.
There was a pause

"If I said yes would you hate me?"

"I would."

"Then, yes."

And with that, you wereleft with your thoughts.

"You always make me worry Park Areum!" Your best friend exclaimed, striding into yoy room

"How the fuck did you get stabbed?" She questioned, looking down at your bandaged thigh.
"Do you know how worried I was?"

"I'm sorry Miran." You apologized, hanging your head down.
Seeing this, Miran's angry expression softened and she dropped on the space next to you.
The emotions you had been building up, finally came out.
Hot tears cascaded down your cheeks and your best friend was there to offer her shoulder.

"It's okay, let it out Ari. I'm here." She whispered, rocking you side to side.

You had never felt more safe.

But would that always be the case?