➳16

They were both searching for the same thing

"Mark?" You were rendered speechless by the boy who was leaning over your kitchen isle

"Mark?" You were rendered speechless by the boy who was leaning over your kitchen isle. His white t-shirt clung to his muscles and hair styled messily.

Upon your arrival, he pushed himself off the isle and into a standing position, now much taller than you. Before speaking, he cleared his throat and subconsciously played with the ring that adorned his finger.
"What are you doing here?" You asked, not believing your eyes.
Mark's eyes scanned the kitchen and the door that lead to the living room, knowing that your aunt was listening.

Exhaling slightly, Mark walked closer to you and bent his head down so his lips almost brushed against your ear.
"Can we talk privately?"
Through the close proximity, a shiver grazed your spine and goosebumps rose.
Swallowing the lump in your throat, you looked up at the boy next to you, only to have his eyes looking straight back at you.
"W-why?"

"I need to ask you a favour." He stated, running a hand down his face and sighing out of frustration.
Eyeing him for a few seconds, you nodded and motioned for him to follow you up the stairs.
Halfway to your destination, your aunt called out from the living room.

"Close your door and use protection!"

At that sentence alone, you stopped suddenly, making Mark bump into you and out of instinct grab your arm to steady himself.
"You could warn me you know? I nearly went flying down the stairs."
All too quickly, he pulled his hand away.
Finally, you both entered your room and the door shut with a click.
"What's up?" You asked, sitting on your bed, confused and tired.

"Listen, i- um...I didn't really want to do this but it's my last resort." He explained, his teeth grazing the ring in his lip.
"Okay.."
"Could you keep something safe for me? Just until it's okay for me to have it."

You frowned in confusion and raised your eyebrows afterwards.
"Why me?"

"I can't give it to anyone from NCT, Hydra will take it."

"Don't you have any other friends you trust? Surely they'd keep whatever it is safer than I will." You reasoned. Yet. Mark grew visibly uncomfortable.
"I...don't have friends... just please keep it safe for me?" Mark almost pleaded, eyes upset and distraught.
"You don't have friends? Why not? And why should I keep it safe?"

Mark shook his head and inhaled with disappointment.
"I made a mistake coming here, sorry." He turned around and grabbed the doorknob.
Your heart jolted and you stopped him before you could reason with yourself.
"Wait! If I keep it safe, will I be in danger?" You asked, stepping closer.

He shook his head and looked towards you, reaching into his pocket.
"Will you keep it safe for me Areum?"
You don't know why, but in that moment Mark seemed defenceless and hopeful of your agreement.

"I'll keep it safe."

Closing his eyes out of relief, a slight smile grazed his lips but it was gone as he pulled the object out of his pocket and strided towards you, hand outstretched and holding a necklace.
Without time to process, Mark had his arms around your shoulders, fingers brushing your neck as he secured the necklace.

You were very aware of the closeness between you both and you gazed up at him through your long, dark lashes.
Mark's eyes flickered towards you, more specifically, your eyes.
You were very close to him, he could smell the vanilla scented perfume that lingered on you.
Breath hitched in your throat, you continued to peer into his eyes, finding a whole new side of Mark Lee.

As for Mark, his fingers stopped fastening the necklace and he looked into your eyes, unmoving.

In those few seconds, it felt as though time has slowed down and there was nothing but the two of you in the world, each of you fixed on the other person. You could feel your breaths becoming more shallow the more you both looked into each others eyes.

Mark's sight fell over your lips and the grip on the necklace tightened.
Now tense, Mark broke eye contact and fastened the necklace, stepping back after it was done.

You subconsciously touched the pendant around your neck, feeling all different emotions.
"It was my mother's, please take care of it."

Wow I want to thank you all for 30k I love you all sm