Chapter One

Amalthea Galanos

Monday mornings were never Thea's thing. Well, truthfully mornings aren't Thea's thing. She hates to get up early after a long day of dance rehearsal. And to top it all off she still has to go to school even with her full plate of ballet, her mother believes that she must still go to regular school instead of going to a dance school or being home schooled.

Making her mother proud is Thea's greatest challenge in her daily life. Nothing seems to satisfy the woman.

Lifting herself out of bed Thea slowly makes her way to the bathroom across the hall. Passing by the open balcony doors she savours the feel of the cool morning breeze on her exposed skin. Light goosebumps spread over her arms and a shiver runs down her spine. She clearly does not pay attention seeing as though she walks straight into the closed bathroom door.

Her head throbs from the impact and she lightly touches the tender spot. "Ow!" the word is only a whisper but it's enough to alert her younger brother, Calum. His bedroom door swings open to reveal him with an idiotic expression on his face and his phone angled at her sitting form. "Oh my word!" he laughs, "Smile for the camera, T." She flips him the bird and grumpily gets up. "Oh don't be grumpy, T. It wasn't my fault." Ignoring him she makes her way into the bathroom and starts the shower.

Tying the towel around her wet body turns out to be more of a mission than normal. Somehow the shower didn't wake her as much as usual, barely enough to keep her standing. She wipes the mirror to clear away the steam and gasps. "No! No! No!" Her entire left brow and eye are covered in blue. Not like blue paint or makeup. No, her skin has changed to a light blue shading. 

A shrill shriek escapes from her throat and within the following seconds both her mother and older brother Ryan burst through the door. 

"Oh! Thea, what did you do to your face!" her mother is the first to speak. She lightly traces the coloured skin. Thea flinches on the most tender spot and her mother's frown deepens even more. "What happened?" Ryan is curious to know how his sister could have gotten a black eye since he last saw her the previous night. A deep sigh escapes her lips and she looks down in shame, "Iwalkedintothedoor." "What was that?" Another sigh, "I walked into the door." Amusement colours her brother's face, "You're kidding, right? I mean seriously, you, the elegant ballerina, walked into a door." Now he's just full-on laughing at her stupidity. "Oh, hush. Go get your sister an ice pack." With shoulders slumped Ryan leaves Thea and their mother in the bathroom.

***

"There, see the swelling's already gone." Thea gapes at her mother through the mirror, "Half of my face is still blue, mum!" Looking at her own reflection Thea is secretly grateful that the swelling is gone and only the blue now stains her face. "Oh, hush. You'll be your normal colour in a few days, Thea. Now go finish up for school otherwise you're going to be late." Regina leaves her daughter's room and makes her way to her chambers to get ready for the day.

Thea stares at her open closet. This is always her favourite part of the morning. She can never really pick what to wear. Closing her eyes, she grabs the closest thing to her and opens her eyes. In her hands lay the soft fabric of her favourite white summers dress.

Grabbing a random pair of sandals, she rushes out of the door with her backpack slung over one shoulder and an apple in her mouth. Her best friend, Fallon, stops right in front of her at the end of the street and winks while she gladly slides into the red mini cooper. "Thanks, Fal, you saved my life...again." "Ah, don't mention it. Now...what's with the eye..."