Chapter Fifty

Amalthea Galanos

Thea's back aches from sitting on the uncomfortable plastic chair for so long. She stretches and her back cracks loudly. Thalia startles awake from the noise and slips off of her chair. She grunts in pain and rubs her backside. 

Thea checks her wristwatch while Vick helps Thalia back into her chair. 23:42. A yawn escapes her lips and Jess follows soon after. Thea turns to face her, "Is it supposed to take so long?" Jess shakes her head and motions for Thea to not say anything to the others. 

A few minutes pass before the door opens and Dr. Brown peeks his head inside, "Ms. Blake, may I please speak to you for a moment?" Everyone else who jumped up, sit back down worried. 

Jess enters the room again, with bloodshot eyes and a runny nose. "No-Noah has requested for everyone to leave before he comes to his room. He doesn't want to see any of us." Thea's eyes well up with tears, "But we're his fam- friends." Jess shakes her head, "We have to respect his wishes." She then picks the sleeping Danny up and grabs her purse, "Please, we have to respect him. I'll explain everything later." 

They all quickly and quietly gather their belongings and make their way to the cars. Vick, Thalia, and Thea in one and Jess with Danny in the other. 

***

Jess's eyes are bloodshot when they finally sit down in the living. Shortly after, Vick returns from putting Danny to bed and he sits down on the floor between Thalia's legs. Thea, Vick, and Thalia all look at Jess expectantly. She sighs and wipes yet another tear from her cheek.

"The cancer has spread to his esophagus and into his bone marrow. I'm afraid that Dr. Brown said that Noah will... he'll never be able to walk again..."