Chapter Forty-Six

Jessica Blake

Jess deliberately takes her time while making her and Thea's tea.  She knows that Thea needs some alone time to come to terms with the fact that Noah is dying much faster than any one of them could have imagined. 

Her hand stills for a moment when she hears a startlingly beautiful laugh from the living room. She briskly walks to place her ear against the door separating the rooms. She can only make Vick's voice out and she for once in her life wonders if her eldest son maybe has a girl over. Excitement bubbles up in her chest against her better judgment. 

She gently pushes the door open and nearly drops both mugs, "Thalia? I didn't know you two are friends." Vick smiles sheepishly and Thalia lightly laughs, "I suppose I'm lucky to be in his company, Ms. Blake." Jess waves her hand in dismissal, "Jessie, please. And no my, dear, I do believe that he is the lucky one in this situation." Deep crimson lightly dusts Thalia's cheeks and she looks down to try and hide it. Vick smiles at Jess and she sends him a cheeky wink. 

"Thalia, did Vick mention that my wedding is in two weeks?" Thalia turns to look at Vick then Jess, "Did you two plan this?" Vick laughs and shakes his head, "I just asked her, mom." Jess smiles brightly and faces Thalia directly, "I expect to see you there, madam." Thalia laughs and nods her head, "I wouldn't miss it for the world." Jess smiles again and excuses herself to go back to Noah's room. 

She carefully pushes the door open, so as to not wake Noah if he is indeed asleep. She stops and smiles at the sight of Thea curled up close to Noah. Deciding rather to not wake them, she quietly starts removing the bloody tissues from between them on the bed. She places Thea's tea next to her bed and quietly closes the door behind her.