Chapter Thirty-Four

Amalthea Galanos

The table is surrounded by a thick, uncomfortable silence. Knives and forks scraping against plates are the only sounds. Thea's eyes keep finding Noah in the seat across from her, he seems just as uncomfortable as she is. Everyone at the table aside from Thea's mother and Danny seems uncomfortable. 

Jessica clears her throat and faces Thalia directly, "The food is quite delicious, Thalia. Where did you learn to cook like this?" Thalia smiles, "Certainly not from my mother. My father made me take a cooking class in England. I absolutely hated that class but I suppose now I'm glad he made me do it after all. Oh, just don't ever mention that to him." A laugh pushes out of Thea's mouth and Thalia snorts as well. Jessica smiles, knowing that she provided at least a little bit of comfort for the girls. 

Regina snorts, "I've had better." Thea glances at Thalia and catches the last bit of her eye-roll. "Thanks, mum, I love your very enthusiastic opinion of my accomplishments in life." Regina glares at her eldest daughter and Thalia greets the look with a sarcastic smile and a tilt of her head. 

Thea clears her throat in an attempt to cut through the tension and pushes her chair out. She takes both her and Thalia's empty plates and heads straight for the kitchen without glancing back. Two more chairs scrape against the floor and two more people follow her to the kitchen. 

Ryan closes the door behind him and walks straight to Thea, "Don't let their fighting get into your head. They were always like this. Mom and Dad were like this too. Thalia just spent a lot of time with him. They'll get over themselves eventually." Thea nods her head but feels her insides crumble from all the tension, "Ryan, you know I hate tension... especially this kind of tension. And worse...they're doing it in front of other people. It's humiliating, honestly." 

Vick clears his throat and both turn to look at him, "Don't worry about it... Noah and Dad are usually like that... It's normal for us. You can relax. Danny doesn't even notice anymore." He smiles in reassurance and Thea timidly smiles back, "Thanks, Vick. I'm really sorry about this, though." Vick waves her off and the three of them return to the ever silent dining room. 

***

"It was lovely having you here. Honestly, we must make this a regular thing." Thea watches her mother move and greets every single guest, including Danny who tries to squirm away from the hug. Jessica's face seems to have spasmed into a smile because her smile does not falter from its place, "Thank you for having us. It was lovely. Thalia, the food was delicious. Thea, you look so pretty and I hope to see you soon. Oh, and Ryan... it was good to see you again." Thea hugs Jessie and whispers a faint apology for the night. Jessie squeezes her tight and shakes her head. 

Thea greets Noah last and they hold their hug a bit longer than normal but no one seems to notice except Regina. Her lips tighten a few fractions and her smile turns extremely fake within seconds. 

***

Thea's arm throbs where her mother had gripped it hard enough for it to change color. Tears leak down her face and she quickly wipes them away, knowing that what her mother said was right, "You have no right hugging boys who aren't family. And then you wear that trampy little dress your sister bought you. I was truly ashamed of your behavior tonight. You are getting more and more like them. And after all that I have done for you, you ungrateful brat." 

She gently nudges her bedroom door shut and throws herself onto her bed. She hugs her pillow close to her and her tears quickly soak the corner, "I'm sorry, Mom... I won't disappoint you again."