Chapter Twenty Four

Noah James

Two weeks pass in a total blur and Noah's head nearly spins with the thoughts of the oncoming championship game. His pulse skips in odd beats and he discards it as excitement and nerves.

"Mr James, are you alright?" Noah's eyes blink back into focus and he stares straight into his teacher's worried eyes. His head spins and his ears ring loudly. He shakes his head and spots dance into his vision. He tries to stand up and stumbles back into his desk. "Noah, dude, your nose is bleeding." Noah lifts shaky fingers to his nose and sure enough, his fingers come back covered in the bright red substance. He shakes his head again and a deep pounding concentrates from the base of his skull. His body slumps down into the chair and his head drops onto his arms. "Noah! Noah? No..."

***

"Noah, please, you have to wake up. I like you, Noah. I know that we're very different but I can't imagine my life without you now. Heck a few weeks ago, I tried to avoid you at all costs... Please wake up...I need you." Noah tries to move toward the mesmerizing voice but his limbs feel like solid lead. His mind feels as if his head has been dunked underwater. His eyes search across the dark void. He tries to move his fingers in the slightest motion but all his attempts are in vain.

"Noah, please... No, wait. Just a few more minutes, please. I promise I'll leave soon." A pause. "Miss, you have to leave now, visiting hours are over. Miss..." "Alright...I'm leaving. Noah, please wake up soon everyone is worried sick. We all miss-" "Miss!" "Calm down, I'm leaving, aren't I?"

Panic bubbles up inside of Noah's unresponsive body. His fingers begin to twitch and a very audible gasp echoes in the room, "Did...did you see that? He moved! Noah, can you hear me? Please open your eyes."

With great effort on his part, Noah opens his left eye a fraction but shuts it quickly when it feels like his retina is melting. "Did you see that?! Noah! Thank goodness, are you okay?" Noah now slowly opens both his eyes and he scans his surroundings quietly. Hospital. He grimaces and turns his head to glance at everyone inside his hospital room. Vick, Jessie, Danny and...Thea. Noah's eyes widen at the sight of her. Her eyes are bloodshot and swollen, dried tears still evident on her rosy cheeks. The blue in her eyes are a startling shade. "Dad?" Jessica's eyes soften and a sad little smile graces her lips, "I'm really sorry, honey. He had to leave for work..." Noah casts his eyes toward his brother, "Vick?" Victor smiles a more encouraging smile, "Hey, little bro, can't leave you alone for five minutes then you're in the hospital." Danny pops his head up on the other side of Noah's bed, "Noah, what happened?" Noah gently helps his little brother onto the bed and peers down into his confused little face, "I have absolutely no idea." Danny giggles and gently lays back against Noah's shoulder.

Noah's eyes pass over his stepmother's shoulder and land on Thea. A sudden yet diabolical idea pops up in his mind and Noah pulls a blank expression on his face, "Who are you?" Thea looks at him with a look of horror, "What? Noah...You know me...It's Thea...We're...Friends..." Noah keeps his expression confused and Jessie clears her throat uncomfortably, "Come on, Danny, we should get going. Vick, are you coming with us?" Vick mutely nods his head and helps Danny get off his brother's bed. "But Muuuum I don't want to leave yet. We just got here." "Fine then, we'll go get some ice cream and come right back. Deal?" Danny pokes out his little tongue and nods his head eagerly. "We'll give you guys some privacy." Jessie drags her son out of the door and Vick follows close behind.

Noah clears his throat deeply and turns his head to face Thea completely, "Tell me who you are and why the hell you think you know me." Thea's eyes lift to his and Noah's heart clenches for a moment. "Noh...we're friends really. Your best friend's dating Marcella...Adam...we all hangout together." "How the hell do you know Marcella and Adam?" Thea moves toward Noah's bed and takes one of his hands in hers, "Noah, we're all friends...how...how could you forget me?" Thea looks just about ready to cry when Noah suddenly bursts out laughing. Thea's face contorts in confusion and he clutches his side from laughing so hard, "Your...Face...priceless." Thea's face clouds with fury and she slaps Noah on his shoulder, "You donkey! I thought you were being serious!" Noah yelps and starts laughing again, "Come on, Thea, it was just a little joke."

Thea gets up and turns her back to Noah. His laughing quickly subsides and he gently tugs her toward him, "Hey...please don't be upset. I didn't mean to scare you like that. And, Thea... I like you too..." Thea rests her head against his shoulder and he gently plays with a loose strand of her hair. "We were so worried, Noh...I...We thought we'd lost you..." Noah gently hugs her to his body, "I'm here and I'm okay, see... A little bruised now- thanks for that by the way- but I'm absolutely fine."

The door suddenly bursts open and Danny bounces into the room holding a raspberry and chocolate flavored ice cream in each hand. Thea quickly pushes off of the bed and moves back toward her corner of the room. Danny walks towards her and hands her the raspberry ice cream with a toothy grin and ice cream running down the side of his mouth. Thea smiles and thanks him.

Something warm runs over Noah's lip and he confusedly wipes it with the back of his hand. His eyes widen at the sight of more blood, his eyes blur out of focus and he reaches for Thea, "Nurse..."