Chapter Forty-Nine

Vick James

Vick's stomach growls for the third time in ten minutes and he glances down at his watch. His eyes practically bug out of his head, Six hours since we got here. 

Suddenly Thea comes out of the dressing room wearing probably the prettiest dress she's fit all day. She turns to face him and he shoots her a thumbs up, "I love it. It really suits y-" Vick cuts himself off. 

Thalia walks out with the sexiest dress he has ever seen. The dress hugs her curves in all the right places and the extremely high leg slit makes one's mouth water in delight. The blue material clings to her body at the torso and loosely separates at the slit. Most of her gorgeously tanned right leg is exposed and where the bodice would have closed at the sides with a plaited feel. His gulp is audible and Thalia sends him a flirty smile in return.  Vick clears his throat, "Thalia... you look incredible. That's the dress. I'll even pay for it." Thalia laughs and flashes her black diamond card, "I've got it but thanks anyway." The girls disappear into the dressing rooms again. 

'We know full well there's just time

So is it wrong to toss this line?
If your heart was full of love
Could you give it up? 
'Cause what about, what about angels?
They will come, they will go, make us special 
Don't give me up
Don't give
Me up'

Vick quickly reaches for his phone and answers without checking for the name, "Hello?"

"Vick... Noah's in the hospital again. They're not sure what's wrong. Please, you have to go home, Danny's there alone." 

"We're on our way. Sit tight, I'm going to have to bring the girls with and I'm sorry Jess, but this might be Noah's last moments, we're all coming to the hospital." 

Silence, "Okay."

Vick gets up and moves to the surprisingly empty checkout line. The girls come rushing out of the rooms and attempt at just hanging the dresses again. Vick stops them, "Woah, what the hell are you doing?" "We heard everything, Vick, we have to hurry." "You did not just make me sit in that chair for six hours only to not take the dresses. Hurry up." He hands the guy his card and they quickly pay for the dresses. 

***

Vick bursts into the hospital with Danny on his hip and the girls hot on his tail. He finds the closest nurse and asks her where Noah's room is. "He's still in surgery but there's a woman waiting in his room already. It's on the third-floor room 367." Vick thanks her and the four of them briskly make their way to the elevators. 

***

Jessica's back is to the wall and she sits on the floor. Her head is bowed and tears stream down her face. Vick gives Danny to Thea and gently sits down next to her, "What are they saying?" Jess looks at him in agony, "Oh, Vick. He has cancer in his esophagus, that's why he can't keep food down and blood keeps coming out. He's in surgery now, they're giving him something called a G-tube. It's supposed to help get food into his stomach. Vick, what if this doesn't work?" Vick's cheeks are stained by tears by now, "I don't know, Jess. But we'll figure it out if we have to."