Chapter 11: Jase

Jase's POV

Before questions started to bombard their way at me, I headed out the screen door and into the backyard as fast as I could. No way in hell was I going to bear the embarassment in there. As I step into the outside of my backyard, I admired the beautiful sunset that I could barely see over the stone ledge that separated the road and our yard.

Our backyard was huge, to me at least. It was huge when I was about 6 and it still is huge when I am now 16. I placed my hands in my pockets and walked onto the freshly cut grass, that I actually did myself over the last weekend. I remember during summer, we would always have a family volleyball day.

On the hottest day of the summer, my dad would prepare the volleyball net outside. Mom would be inside cooking up a few hamburgers and hot dogs for our hungry stomachs later on. Jerick and Kaylie would go out to buy some ice cream and snacks, while Vee, Jake and I would sit in the back seat of the car with them.

I always looked forward to family volleyball day. As dysfunctional as we could be, it was always a fun and entertaining sight to see. Ever the since the accident, neither the volleyball nor the net has come out of the garage.

My attention turned to my right as I heard the sound of a basketball hitting the concrete floor. Hm, Vee and Lauren? I walked over to the side of the house where our basketball court was placed and found the two girls just shooting around.

"Ah well look who finally arrived," My twin sister spoke up as she caught Lauren's rebound and passed her back the ball. "How was the interrogation inside?"

"Avoided it thank you for asking," I gave a fake smile and decided to catch the rebounds for them.

"Hey come on now Jase, your room isn't even that bad," Lauren brought up as she shot the ball, once again making a perfect swish. Damn. "The way Vee put it made it sound like you were the obsessed one."

Veronica froze in her tracks as she was about to go for a lay up, "Hey!" She abruptly turned around as she heard Lauren's comment.

"Oh don't worry boo, we still love you," Lauren replied with a smile going over to hug her. Wow, within just a few days, Veronica's got Lauren calling her boo. This friendship of theirs is moving fast already.

The love fest between the two continued on while I went after the basketball that rolled over to the other side of the yard. It ended up right in front of the screen door, where I saw Camila coming out of. I think I startled her a bit considering I was crouching down, running after the basketball like some little child running after a puppy.

"Oh god I apologize, you didn't have to see me in that element," I spoke a bit shy as I picked up the ball and held it close to me. Yes, I love basketball okay. I actually made the Varsity team my freshman year, which was a huge shock to me to be honest.

But I let all of that go. The accident took a huge toll on me, and I don't know, basketball was something my dad taught me since I was around four. It was something we did together. It was something we bonded over. And ever since...that night, I could never get back into it. It didn't feel the same shooting hoops around outside without him.

But I was thinking maybe this year, something will change. I do miss it, it's my favorite sport. I have to forgive and forget right? Easy for me to say than do though.

That giggle of hers brought me out of my trance, "You chased after it like it was your puppy," she stated. I smiled warmly, it's like she literally read my mind.

I shrugged slightly holding the ball out in my right hand, "Ball is life." How lame can you be Jase? Seriously?

"Oh my god, you did not just say that Jase," the familiar voice sounded coming from the court. Veronica. "Since you might be spending a lot more time with him Camila, you should know that he says 'Ball is life' for almost everything," she explains as she and Lauren walk towards us. "It gets quite annoying," adds on with cheesing smile and walks back into the house, Lauren following behind.