1

Jonathan

Chicago is home to some pretty incredible things, I should know, I get to be a part of one of them. Being the captain of this Chicago Blackhawks team, well it's a honor really. Nothing makes me happier than being able to lead my team for a chance to win the best trophy in all of sports. And Chicago has had its fair share of championships, they had the Sox in '05 and the Bulls dynasty in the 90's. Of course there was us back in 2010, but that was nearly three years ago. Chicago has built and ran some amazing sports related moments that this city prides itself on.

But outside the sports, things aren't so bright and shiny around here. There's more corruption in this city than anyone is allowed to admit and a lot of terrible people call this place home. That's why I usually watch where I'm going when I'm here so I don't end up somewhere where I shouldn't be.

But after getting together at a friends house earlier today I wanted to stop off and pick up some cough drops and a drink to kick this cold before taking a cab home. It turns out that I took a very wrong turn at some point in my journey and ended up someplace I shouldn't be. As I walk into this drug store looking for a drink and some cough drops for my sore throat I quickly realized that this wasn't the part of town I should be in. So the quicker I can get in and out of here the quicker I get back to where I belong.

I find everything I need in the back of the store. I grab a tall bottle of water and the lemon cough drops because I can't stand the taste of the cherry ones and head to the front to pay and get the hell out of here. I get in line behind a woman who was going through her purse trying to find something. She seemed distressed but I would be too if I was in this part of town.

"I'm sorry... but I don't think I have the rest the money for the medicine" she says softly and the man behind the counter scoffs loudly, obviously not in the mood for this. He slams his hands down onto the counter in frustration as he leans over.

"Then you can't have this" he says snatching the bag from her grasp making me jump. He seemed like a ray of sunshine.

"No! Please, I need that medication for my little sister. She needs it to survive" she begs.

"Listen here little missy, if you don't have the money then you don't get the medicine" he tells her.

"I didn't know they raised the price of the medication from when I got it a few days ago, I have more money but it's at home. Please, just let me take the medicine and I'll bring the rest of the money when I pick her medicine up again" she begs.

"I don't know what you think this is, but that's not how we do things around her. You pay now or you need to leave" he says.

"I will do anything to take that home right now. Anything" she cried out and I get chills. I continue to act like I'm looking around at the magazines by the front of the store and that I wasn't totally into this conversation right now, but I was starting to get scared for her.

"Anything" the clerk asks very creepily and I stop acting like I'm not listening. I turn to look him as he shamelessly looks her over and I get this bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. That's the kind of look that only means one thing, and it was anything but good news for that poor girl.

"Anything" the girl promises.

"Alright. Let me take care of that man and we'll discuss your payment options..." he trails off and something in me snaps. Is he really about to make a stranger have sex with him so she can take care of her little sister? That's so sick on so many different levels.

"Okay" she says softly as she moves over to the side. The man calls me over and I look over at the girl on my way to the counter.

She had to be in her early 20's or so, she looked pretty young. She had on a waitress uniform under her winter coat that was dirty after what I'm assuming was a long day at work and had her long blonde hair pulled back and out of the way. I couldn't lie, the girl was attractive and the clerk wasn't the only one who noticed. She looked like she could be on the front of one of the magazines I was just messing with. But it was obvious she wasn't in a good situation by the way her big pink lips were pursed together. She had these bright blue eyes that was full of so much fear. Her small frame was shaking as she stood there trying not to think about the bad things this man is about to do to her.

As her eyes meet mine I realized that there was no way in hell that I can let this sweet girl get sexually assaulted by a man taking advantage of the fact that she wants to take care of her sister. She's obviously coming from a good place and I can tell she needed help, and that's exactly what I was going to do. So I set my stuff down and push it towards the evil man behind the counter.

"I'm going to get this water and these cough drops... and I want to buy the medicine that girl needs for her sister" I say pointing to her and the girl gasps as her eyes get wide. The guy grows angry because I just ruined his little plan, but quite frankly, I don't give a fuck.

"I'll get you the water and the cough drops, but she's going to have to get the medicine herself" he says. "It's the law, you can't buy medication that's not in your name."

"Alright. How much is the medicine" I ask.

"It's $150" he says and I nod. I pull out $150 and I hand it to the girl. She didn't want to take it at first but considering her other options was that she let this man do whatever he wants with her she eventually takes it.

"Thank you... thank you so much" she says softly as she looks up to me. I see a tear in her beautiful eyes and I feel my heart break. I look at her apron to see where she worked before I put down $5 for the drink and cough drops.

"Of course. It's nothing" I insist as I grab the change.

"No, it's not. This means everything" she says softly and I smile. I nod before leaving and waiting outside the drug store to make sure that guy doesn't try to pull anything again. But she purchases the medicine and walks out seemingly unharmed by the man.

She starts to look around before she sees me standing a little down the street. She walks over and I figured she was still a little shaken up so I wanted to make sure she was going to be okay.

"Here" she says trying to hand me some money back, "it's the change and what I originally had for the medicine" she explains but I shake my head.

"Keep it. Use it to get something you need for you and your sister" I say and she sighs.

"Why are you doing this" she asks carefully. She obviously needed the help but didn't seem like the type to ask for it.

"Because you seem like a sweet girl, I couldn't let that man hurt you" I insist.

"It happens all the time around here" she promises.

"I know. But you're just trying to get your sister better, you don't need anyone else going against you" I insist.

"Well thank you, so much" she says.

"Can I get your name" I wonder.

"Alexis. Alexis Martin" she tells me.

"Well Alexis. I hope your sister feels better. I'll see you around" I say and she looks at me weird but doesn't question it. She turns on her heel and walks away.

I stand in that spot as I watch her leave. I felt awful for her, she was a real pretty girl who seemed to be in a real shitty situation. And for some reason I wanted to do whatever I can to help her.