18

Alexis

After having a strong performance up in Canada I was feeling a lot better about myself and my skating abilities. It wasn't anything close to where I wanted it to be quite yet, but it was a good stair to step on.

And I guess the word of my return was making its way around the skating world. I was once seen as the future of the US Figure Skating program, I was going to do great things and bring a lot of pride to the program. And I still can, I still hope I will. It's just a lot harder this time around because I'll have my doubters, people who know that the injury I suffered ends many people's careers and I haven't had the training like I used to have.

But this time around I got a fire burning inside of me. A fire fueled by my parents giving up on me, fueled by being the girl my little sister sees me as, and fueled by making Jonathan proud so I can be everything he said I would be.

So I return to the rink to get ready for the national tournament in New York in a few weeks. After that is when they start to put together a team they're taking to the Olympics and that was my one shot to prove that I'm here and I'm better than ever.

"Princess! There's someone on the phone for you" Frank calls out on the tunnel and I find a safe place to stop doing my routine.

"I hate when you call me that" I mumble as I skate past him.

"You love me" he accuses.

"Sometimes" I wink as I exit the ice.

I go down to the offices where Frank keeps his stuff. I forgot to ask who was on the phone but I pick it up anyway.

"Hello, this is Alexis Martin speaking" I start.

"Hello Alexis. My name is Kenny Robinson and I am a part of the Olympic committee for USA Figure Skating and I was wondering if I could talk to you for a few moments" he says as my eyes go wide. I felt like I fell right through the floor as I keep my eyes inside of my head.

"Yes, of course" I gasp.

"We at the Olympic figure skating committee watched your film from last weekend and we were highly impressed. Not a lot of people can take a break and look like they never missed a beat, but you always did stick out. I still remember watching your film back when you were a kid and we first wanted you to be as a part of the Olympic team, and I still had that silly smile on my face watching you now. You looked good out there" he says.

"Thank you... thank you so much" I whisper.

"But I know the eyes can be deceiving. I can see that you're just as dynamic as you used to be but obviously things have changed. We would love to have you as a part of our plan for the Olympics next year but we want to hear it from you as to why we should put you on this team" he claims and I nod. I get it, I really do.

"I'm sure you want me to tell you that everything is good now. That my knee is stronger than ever and I have no doubts that I can go the distance. That there was no way I could fail because I've worked my whole life for this moment.

But I would be lying if I said all that stuff, and I promised I wouldn't lie to myself anymore to make myself feel comfortable. The greatest athletes in this world didn't win when they were comfortable so neither can I. So I'm going to tell you what I told myself when I first stepped back out to the ice with my figure skates on for the first time in four years.

I'm not that girl I used to be. I'm not cocky and I'm not untouchable. I'm hurt, but through that hurt I've found real strength, not that fake stuff. I'm stronger than I ever imagined possible. I found this passion inside me that only comes after missing this sport for almost half a decade and finally being able to itch that scratch. I'm better than I was before, and I'm not just talking about my skills. Of course this figure skating world is something totally different than what I'm used to so I had to change and adapt to the rules. But I was able to do it and I was able to make it my own.

My knee is always in the back of my mind, but it's not stopping me from performing that skill or any other skill. Not anymore. If you're looking for that girl from four years ago, I'm sorry, but I'm not her" I say.

"We don't want her. We want the girl who has more talent in her left pinky than most have in their whole bodies, yet always wants to be better. We want the girl who wants this more than she wants anything. We want the girl who can to represent this country and not let the past blind her from a brighter future" he says.

"Well then it looks like I'm your girl" I promise him.

"That's what I thought" he admits. "So lets say this. If you place at nationals, as you should, you're set to be placed on the team when we announce placements next year" he explains.

"And if I don't place" I ask.

"The olympics are always going to be a option for you. If not this one, then the next one" he says.

"Alright. Well thank you for calling, but I gotta get back to training and all" I say.

"Of course. We'll see you in a few weeks" he replies.

I hang up and let out a long sigh. My path was made for me, now I just gotta perform on my end and I was in.

I head back out to the rink and see Frank working with a little kid. I skate over to him and he smiles at me.

"How did you like that phone call" he asks.

"A little warning would have been nice" I admit and he laughs.

"You didn't ask" he shrugs.

"Well it looks like I have a big moment in my life ahead of me. He said if I do good at nationals then I'm as good as in" I explain.

"So we should probably pull out the big guns" he asks.

"Go big or go home" I smile.

"That's what I like to hear" he nods.

We get back to work on creating two routines that deserve to be in the Olympics. Once we get the songs picked and the skills in the right order then the rest falls into place. They were both really hard routines and really fun but the long program.. that was the best one.

After working myself half to death... literally, I stop off and pick up a pizza for dinner on the way home. I head back to the apartment and make sure no one tries to scare me making me send the pizza to the ceiling. But this time I find them on the couch watching Disney channel and that makes my heart happy.

"Dinners ready" I yell as I walk in and they hop up. Jon jumps over the couch and into the kitchen.

"Awesome. Thank you baby" he says as he pulls me into a quick kiss. I get out the plates and we all fix ourselves one before sitting on the couch. Jon throws his arm around me as I stuff pizza into my mouth.

"Long practice huh" he asks as he watches me stuff my face.

"Yeah. I got a call from the Olympic committee though" I mumble with my mouth full of pizza and he laughs at me.

"I have no clue what you just said" he admits as he wipes pizza sauce from the side of my mouth.

"I said that I got a call from the Olympic committee today" I repeat and his eyes go big.

"What did they say" he asks.

"I called my shot at nationals. I just gotta take it" I say and he smiles.

"I always knew you could do it" he insists.

"I haven't done anything yet" I remind him.

"Fine. Then I'll be there right when you step off the gold medal podium telling you I told you so."