48

Alexis

Halloween has never been a holiday I celebrated much. When I was younger I was always what I wanted to be, a figure skater, so I never really dressed up for Halloween. I would wear one of my outfits and stick with my parents the whole night or my sister once she was born. She's all about the costumes and dressing up, didn't need a holiday to dress up but still did every Halloween. She gets to make up her own things and do whatever she wanted and it was pretty cool what she came up with.

Unfortunately for me the Blackhawks have a annual Halloween party that Jon wanted me to come with him to, which means for the first time since I was like 6 I had to actually dress up. I didn't even know what to dress up as, Jon wanted to go in a couple outfit but he was just as clueless as I was to what to dress as. We've tried 3 Halloween stores already but haven't found what we wanted.

"What about this" Jon asks holding up two costumes from the Addams family. I look at him weird as he tries to pose like the dad in the picture.

"Isn't that a bit dark" I ask.

"Yeah" he agrees as he puts it back. "Why is this so hard" he wonders and I just shrug.

"I don't know. Probably because we're exactly what we want to be" I explain.

"That's true. But it would still be pretty cool to be Superman for a night" Jon admits.

"I refuse to be Lois Lane. I look awful in suits" I insist making him chuckle.

"Alright alright. What about..." he trails off as he looks around the costume shop, "-this" he smiles big. He grabs a costume bag off the rack nodding his head in approval. He hands it to me and I smile big.

"You want to go as Tonya Harding and Jeff Gillooly... the couple who ended my favorite figure skaters career by gashing her leg" I ask and he shrugs.

"I think it would be funny" he claims.

"You have a sick sense of humor" I accuse.

"It works with my work field of work" he defends. "So are you in or not?"

"I always wanted to be Nancy Kerrigan, but it's Halloween so what the hell. I'll be Tonya Harding" I shake my head.

We purchase the costumes and head on home to change. Kimberly was going to go to a school Halloween dance while we got to go have some adult fun for once. So she changes in her room and I change too. I smile big when I see myself in the famous white and gold leotard that Tonya wore. I did so many school projects on her and what happened before the 1984 Olympics. Why they would have a costume for someone who is banned from the world of figure skating is beyond me, but I thought it was funny with how much that event affected me.

"I'm ready" Kimberly yells as she runs down the hallway and past my room. I had no clue what she was dressed as and unless it was the Flash her little run by wasn't helping.

"Come let me see you" I yell and I hear her feet get louder as she runs back down the hall. She appears in the doorway and I couldn't help but smile.

She had on a cute light blue leotard, it looks exactly like this one I used to have when I first started skating. She had her hair all pulled back like I do when I compete and she had white shoes on to look like her skates.

"Who are you supposed to be" I wonder as I pick her up. I pity the day I can't hold her on my side anymore.

"I'm you" she cheers and I smile.

"Me" I gasp.

"Yeah! I found this in a box of things you were going to throw away, but I wanted to keep it. So Jonny's mom fixed it up so I can wear it tonight" she explains.

"Well aren't you the cutest" I tease and she shrugs.

"So I'm told" she admits.

"And modest too" I mumble as I set her down.

"Who are you supposed to be" she wonders.

"I'm a figure skater too. But this one is a bad guy" I explain.

"Why do you want to be the bad guy" she questions.

"Because I couldn't spend another second looking for a Halloween costume without loosing my mind" I admit.

"Well I think you look super pretty, even if your hair is a little crazy" she claims as she tries to touch it. But it had so much hair spray in it I was afraid that her hand will get stuck in my hair if she touched it.

"Thank you. And the hairs from the 80's" I explain as I swat her little hand away.

"I'm happy it stayed there" she says and I just laugh. Kids really do say the darnest things.

After I finish getting ready I grab Kimberly and look for Jon. We couldn't be out too late because we needed to pick Kimberly up from her school, but we still had a long time to have some fun if we leave soon.

"Jonny, lets go! I'm the one who is supposed to be taking forever to get ready" I yell out into the bathroom in our room.

"Coming" he yells as he opens the door. I let out a loud laugh as he walks over to me. He had his hair slicked back and a fake mustache on. He had a crow bar in his one hand and money in the other. He gives me a goofy smile and I just shake my head.

"Who are you supposed to be" Kimberly asks.

"I'm Jeff Gillooly" he explains.

"Who is that supposed to be" she questions.

"I'm the guy who tried to mash Nach Kerigans leg in" he explains and she gasps.

"Why would you do that" she asks.

"Because she told me to" he says pointing at me.

"Lexi" Kimberly shuns.

"It wasn't me. It was the girl I'm dressed as" I remind her.

"And why did you want to dress like her again" she wonders.

"I'm not having this conversation again. I need a drink" I admit as I grab her little hand.

We take off to the school to drop Kimmy off before finding the bar where everyone was. I don't usually drink but I needed a stiff one right now. So we get inside and say hi to everyone. We head straight to the bar to drink.

"Isn't it a little conceded to dress as yourself" someone chirps as I turn around. I see Patrick's girlfriend Amanda there and smile big.

"I'm not myself, I would never wear my hair or makeup like this for a figure skating competition. I'm Tonya Harding" I explain and she gasps.

"Ahhh. You're the crazy skater girl who almost ended her rivals career" she recalls and I nod.

"That's me" I smile.

"This is super cute! And what's Jon supposed to be" she wonders.

"My ex husband" I explain.

"Well I think you guys did great with the outfits. It even has a sense of irony in it" she giggles.

"I think it turned out pretty well" I admit.

"So how has your sister been" she wonders as Jon and Patrick join us. Jon wraps his arms around me as I cuddle into his side. He always did stuff like this in public, I never could go far before he pulled me right back in.

"She's good. She's at a Halloween party at school. She's taken her medicine and she has her inhaler so she should be fine" I admit.

"Well bring her to the next game. I miss watching her bang on the glass" she claims.

"I'm sure she'll be there" I promise.