19

Jon

Just as fast as the season started it was already coming to a end. It's been three months packed with hockey and love and a lot of winning. And while these three months have been very trying for me, I think they've been arguably the best three months of my entire life.

For the last few games Q sat out the starters and let the youngsters play. There were guys like Shaw and Saad who will probably be with us for the post season and we wanted to see what they could do out there in a pressured situation and without someone like myself or another more experienced guy to rely on. It was a time to see who will make the roster and who will just be brought along in case of emergency. So guys like me and Patrick and Brent and Hossa get to sit up in the boxes for the last game and take in the spectator views instead of the ice level ones. I of course find the box where Kimberly stays and sit with her so we can watch her sister and make sure all the cookies get eaten up.

"Why are you in time out" Kimmy questions me as the game starts up and I laugh.

"I'm not" I assure her.

"Yeah you are, Brandon says if you're up here it means you're in time out. It's okay to be naughty sometimes, I get put in timeout from time to time too. But I always get let out for being good so I can play again" she says.

"I'm not in time out. I'm just... taking a break" I explain. I see her face fall and for the first time ever she wasn't smiling. My heart drops once I realized I said something I probably shouldn't and she was very upset about it.

"But you're going to go back after your break... right" she asks softly. She had a hint of concern in her voice, like she was scared I was going to leave all of this behind.

"Of course I'll be back out there" I promise her.

"Sissy said mom and dad we're taking a break from us... but they never came back" she whispers and I stop watching the game for a second. I look down at her and this was for sure the saddest she has ever looked in my entire time of knowing her.

Kimberly was one of those kids who no matter what was happening around her was always happy, at least on the outside. And it's only like that because her sister wants her to be happy and does anything to make sure she is. But she didn't tell Kimmy that their parents gave up on them because they couldn't benefit off Alexis' skating anymore. Instead she told Kimberly that they were on break and would be back. But I'm not so sure they will be. Even if they did I don't think they'll be accepted.

"Your parents are out looking for something. I don't know what it is, but it must be pretty good if they were able to walk away from you and your sister. I don't know if they'll ever find what they're looking for or if they do if they'll come back" I admit.

"When you leave... where do you go" she wonders.

"I go into a foreign land to hockey battle bad guys and return with as many points as possible" I say.

"But you'll always come back, right? You'll never need a break from us" she asks and I shake my head.

"No way. You're my best friend, remember? I could never leave you" I insist.

"Good" she says as she wraps her arms around me. She lays her head on my chest and I'm sure she can feel my heart melting. I wrap my arms around her too as we share a cute little moment. I know that no matter what I will always fight to be with her.

"Hey! It's my favorite little person" Patrick cheers as he walks over to us. Kimberly pops up and runs over to where he was before latching onto his leg. She had taken a liking to him but most kids do. Must be a impaired judgment thing they all have in common.

"Patty" she yells and I smirk to myself.

"Who told you to call me that" he pouts as he messes with her hair.

"Jonny" she tattles and I scoff.

"Hey. You weren't supposed to tell him that" I tease.

"Oopsies" she giggles.

"That's okay. I can tell you all of Jonnies secrets then you'll tell her sister and I'll get my revenge" Patrick claims as he comes over to me.

"Jokes on you, she already knows all my secrets" I smile.

"I doubt that" he claims as he sits next to me on a couch. Kim plops down in my lap and I wrap my arms around her so she doesn't go running off again. "Does she know about what happened rookie year in Calgary" he questions.

"Yup" I nod.

"New Years Eve 2010" He quizzes.

"Regretfully so... she knows that one too" I admit.

"Even your birthday last year" he gasps.

"Yeah man. There's nothing that she needs to know that she doesn't. She doesn't hold my mistakes above my head and she treats me like a human being. She helps me with any problem I have and makes me realize that I am not my mistakes. She's open about her problems and I should be open about mine too. It's not good to keep that stuff in" I insist.

"Like pee" Kim adds on and I smile.

"Yes. I cannot hold in my emotional piss" I say and Patrick laughs.

"This is a conversation I did not see myself having today" he admits.

"When you live with a seven year old you kind of expect these kinds of things" I admit.

"So you're her what... like her dad" he ask and I laugh.

"No. I'm her best friend" I say as I pull her in closer to me and she smiles up to me.

"Forever" she asks.

"Forever" I promise.

The game finishes and I wait for Alexis to get changed so we can go home. But once she comes out she gets mixed up with a bunch of the WAG's and I ended up staying here a little longer than I initially thought.

"Hey Jon" she smiles as she finally makes it over to me. I pull her into a quick kiss and finally I felt complete.

"Hey baby. You ready to go" I wonder.

"Actually..." she trails off.

"What's up" I wonder.

"The girls are all going to dinner and asked if I could come with. I was wondering if is okay with you if I could go grab a bite of eat with them" she says and I look at her weird.

"Of course baby. You don't have to make sure it's okay with me, you're your own women. Go hang out with your friends, I'll take Kimmy and we can hang out at the apartment" I insist.

"Are you sure" she asks.

"Yes, I'm sure. Go out, have fun, get drunk and think about how much you miss me then come home" I joke and she giggles.

"I always miss you when we're apart, drunk and sober" she claims and I smile.

"See. Nothing to worry about" I assure her. 

I send her on her way and I grab Kimberly and head home. She picks out a movie while I make us food. We chill out on the couch and stuff our face with unhealthy foods that can be made in a microwave and stay up late.

"You're not going to tell sissy about this... right" Kimberly asks.

"As far as she knows you went to bed a hour ago" I admit. Unlike her I keep my word.