67

Jonathan

After Alexis won two gold medals the fame was instantaneous. There wasn't a single person near or far who couldn't recognize the girl who defied all odds and broke all records. She was the face of the 2014 Olympics and you would have never guessed it if you were ever so lucky enough to hang out with her for a while. She was the most humble human being you will ever meet, she stopped every time someone asked for a autograph or a picture. She asked their names and their age and if they wanted to figure skate one day. And if they didn't originally, they did now.

And it's kinda funny because everyone is realizing what I've known all along. That this girl is something special, something that this world needs, not just team USA or the Olympics. She represented hope and passion and perseverance, things that every person wants and needs. And I'm ever so lucky to be by her side along the way. I've got to see her overcome every obstacle and fall in love with this sport all over again.

"What are you going to do before your game tomorrow night" Alexis asks as we hang out in her room. She didn't have to have a roommate like I did and my parents promised to take Kimmy to go see the bob sledding teams. It was hard for Alexis to go anywhere nowadays so we were hanging out in her room for some peace and quiet.

"I don't know, we have morning skate at 9 and then I'll probably nap before heading to the rink for meal prep then it's game time" I explain.

"You should come watch the sun rise over the ocean with me" she says and I raise my eyebrow.

"Is that the smartest thing I could do on game-day" I ask and she shrugs.

"Probably not. But no one will be out yet and we can hang out, just you and me. I don't know... I just thought we could get away for a morning" she explains. "It's silly."

"It's not silly at all" I assure her. "I would love to have a little randevu with you. Take a break from all this Olympics stuff and focus on us for a while. That sounds amazing" I admit and she smiles.

"You sure? It's okay if you would rather stay in and sleep. We can figure something else out" she insists.

"Baby, there's nothing I would want more than to spend the morning alone with you after what these past few days have been like" I agree.

"It's been prettty crazy, huh" she asks and I smile.

"It has. But I've always known it would get like this. From the first moment I laid my eyes on you I knew you were something special. I just didn't know how or why. But there's no denying that you're unlike anyone else in this world. You have two gold medals to prove it" I explain. She rests her head on my shoulder and her hair falls to the side. I press my lips to her forehead softly as she places her other hand on my knee.

"I love you so much Jonny" she says randomly and I smile.

"I love you more" I insist.

"Impossible" she claims.

"Not true" I argue.

"Very true" she insists. "I love you more than I thought was ever possible. In fact I'm breaking the rules and I have a boy over right now because I love you that much" she teases and I smile.

"Pete doesn't care, the Olympics are over for you" I remind her.

"Maybe so, but I'm still a part of team USA until closing ceremonies so I still have to abide by their rules" she insists.

"And how is that going for you" I tease as she giggles.

"Pretty good" she admits as she laces her fingers through mine. Our hands rest in my lap and I know I had the cheesiest smile on my face. How lucky am I?

Eventually it gets late and I had curfew so I head back to my room. I was sharing a room with PK Subban which is always a adventure. The dude has one of the biggest personalities you will ever see in a athlete, but his heart is in the right place and he's a hell of a defensemen. Rooming with him has been nothing short of fun and I'm happy I got stuck with him.

Come 5 am I slip into my team Canada track suit and pack a little travel bag. PK turns over in bed and wipes at his eyes.

"Is it time for practice already" he mumbles as he sits up.

"No. I'm sneaking out" I say as he scoffs.

"You're doing a awful job of it" he insists.

"I'll be out of your hair in a minute, I promise" I say as I throw a few more things into my bag.

"Where are you going" he wonders.

"I'm gonna watch the sun rise with my girlfriend" I say and almost immediately regret it.

"Wow... you're fraternizing with the enemy and they let you be alternate captain" he teases.

"Well I have a gold medal at every level and two Stanley cups that say I should be" I insist and he nods.

"Fair enough" he agrees.

I slip away as he falls back asleep so I can find a cab. I meet Alexis out by the water as she already had a spot for us. I sit down on the ground next to her as we rested upon a blanket. I pull her into a long overdue kiss as she grabs my face.

"I hate sleeping away from you" I whisper on her lips as she holds my face close to her.

"I do too. I'm really happy you were able to make it" she insists.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world" I promise.

We both sit there silently as we watch the sun come up over the horizon. I smile to myself because I got all the sunlight I need right next to me.

"Things are changing, aren't they" she asks and I pause. I look over at the gold band that sat on her left ring finger and nod.

"Indeed they are" I agree.

"But that's not necessarily a bad thing, right" She asks again and I smile.

"I don't think it is. It's kind of inevitable, what all is happening. I think were well on our way to being as happy as we ever could be" I insist.

"You said we a lot" she notices.

"Yeah baby, we" I promise.