54

Alexis

After two long long weeks, Jonathan and the Blackhawks were going to be back in Chicago and I could not be more excited. Even Kimberly was getting a little restless trying to wait for Jon to be back so he could play with her and take her skating to play hockey. Their relationship was so cute and loving and I'm so happy that she has the chance to have a man in her life that she loves more than anything.

So being the good girlfriend and sister we are we make him a cake to welcome him home. Kimberly and I play some music and I get her a stool so she can see over the counter.

"Alright, you mix the dry ingredients and I'll do the wet ones" I say as I slide all the things she'll need over to her. She was pretty good at baking... I just gotta watch her because she thinks she can add a extra cup of sugar to everything and it'll all be okay in the end.

"Why do you get to make a mess" she pouts.

"I don't make a mess... that's why you're doing the dry ingredients and I'm doing the wet ones" I remind her.

"Why can't we just buy the cake" she wonders.

"Because it means more when you make it at home. And Jonny can't have gluten" I shrug.

"What's gluten" she questions.

"Ask Jon" I beg. I did not want to try and explain this to a kid.

"When will he be back? I miss him so much" she claims and I smile.

"What makes you miss him" I wonder.

"I miss everything. I miss him playing dress up with me and watching scary movies because no offense, but you're awful at that" she insists and I nod. I can't fight that one. "I miss the way he says "about" really silly. I miss him picking me up and acting like I can fly. I miss watching him play hockey and hanging out with the other kids at the ice box. Most of all I miss when you tuck me in and he would tell me good night. Then I would have a really good dream" she claims.

"Yeah... he's a pretty awesome dude huh" I ask as I crack some eggs into my bowl.

"He's the best dude" she agrees.

We get to work and naturally I still had to help her with the flour because she was making a mess. But she gets her ingredients mixed together and I do mine. We put them together before putting it into a cake pan and sending it off into the oven. I clean up while Kimberly let's Blue lick the spoon clean. We wait for the cake to be done before trying to figure out what to put on it. Once it's cool enough I covered it in vanilla frosting and let Kimberly work her magic.

"What are you drawing" I wonder as she goes to town with the blue icing.

"I'm drawing us at the bean" she claims.

"Are you going to be a artist when you grow up" I wonder and she shrugs.

"I wanted to skate like you and Jonny but I know I can't do that now. So I want to make cookies or paintings" she says.

"I think you could be the president" I claim and she gasps.

"Really" she asks.

"Of course. You're cute and you're kind and you always ask questions so you know more. You would be perfect for the job" I assure her.

"I would make a unicorn the national animal" she claims and I laugh.

"At least we got a while until you're in office" I tease.

After a while she finishes and I smile big. It looked really cute and I couldn't wait to eat it, because that would mean Jonathan is here. So we sit on the couch and wait for him to get home. He had a early matinee game then they would fly home right after. So I heat up some left overs for lunch and we catch the game. The boys end up winning and Kimberly falls asleep in my lap because she was "so worn out from baking". I needed to wash dishes from our little experiment but I wasn't about to move her. If she wakes up she's going to ask if Jonny is home yet and I'm gonna cry when I say no. So instead I stay on the couch and count down until Jon sends me that "almost home" text.

Just after 9 pm the door opens and I could hear my heart pounding in my chest. It felt like slow motion that the door opens and I can hear him toss his keys in his pocket. I've been imagining this moment for days now and it was finally here. He appears in the doorway and I couldn't help but have this big smile on my face. I wanted to jump up and down, that's how much his mere presence makes happy. How just knowing he's around makes me feel so strong.

He quickly drops his stuff inside the door and closes the door behind him. He tries to get Blue to clam down so she didn't cause a ruckus. He eventually makes his way over to the living room and starts to look around. His eyes find me before he smiles bigger than I've ever seen him smile before. He runs over to the couch and stands behind it. He grabs my face and kisses me upside down like spider man and Mary Jane. I grab him tight and I refused to let go until I absolutely had to.

"I missed you so much... I'm never leaving you again" he whispers on my lips. His hands held my face as he wouldn't let me go anywhere. I smile big as I look up into his big brown eyes. I could see how much he missed me, how much he wanted to be with me.

"I missed you too" I reply.

"What are you guys doing out here" he asks softly as he looks down at Kimberly. She was still asleep in my lap as her favorite movie played on the tv.

"She wouldn't go to bed until she saw you. She wanted you to tuck her in" I explain.

He comes around the couch and places his hand on Kimmys arm. He shakes it until her little eyes flutter open. It doesn't take her long to realize that Jon was home and she didn't have to miss him anymore. She excitedly throws her little arms around him and pulls him into a hug. He happily hugs her back as he closed his eyes.

"Hey kiddo" he smiles.

"Jonnny! I've missed you so so much" she tells him.

"I've missed you too" he admits

"Look! We made you something" she says suddenly being very awake. She shoots off the couch and grabs Jon hand before running into the kitchen. I follow behind them still pretty exhausted.

"Oh wow, you're such a little artist" Jonny cheers as he looks at the cake. "Look at us."

"Do you like it" Kimberly asks oh so innocently.

"It's beautiful sweetie, thank you" he says as he pulls her into a hug. My heart melts as my world was finally whole again.