38

Jonathan

25 years ago today my wonderfully talented and beautiful girlfriend was born. Which means this earth has had 25 wonderful years with her beautiful soul on it and I'm sure it feels just as blessed as I do to have her be a part of my life. And while she wouldn't even tell me when her birthday was, let alone agree to let me do something nice for her, I still had some fun plans. I was able to find some paperwork where she put her birth date down and now there's no stopping me. I was going to show her how much I love her even if it kills me. And with her it just might.

But like most days I had to wait until she was done training before we could do anything. The whole "no days off" thing never does end for her. Between the vacation and the surgery she's decided that she's been away long enough and she's ready to get back to trying to make history again. She was starting to pick back up in the rink and Frank was back in town so there's no stopping her. She was well on her way to changing the sporting world for the better and I wasn't going to be one to be in her way. Even if it was her birthday. Instead I am going to keep cheering her on but still remind her that she needs to step back every now and again and realize you only turn 25 once.

So I wait for her outside the ice rink as I talk to some of my teammates. They were all starting to linger into town to get ready for the season to start and move back into the city. Some of them stayed here over the summer but some of them went back home before coming back for training camp. This is the first year I actually stayed in Chicago and didn't go back home, but I think it was what is right. Chicago was my home for now, it's where I work and play and where the people I love the most reside. There isn't a place I would rather be than right here.

Finally Alexis emerges from the ice at about 11:37 and she looks at me weird as I walk over to the door. She puts on her skate guards before strutting my way.

"What are you doing here? I thought you would be at the gym working out like usual" she admits.

"I would be, but I had made other plans once I found out it was your birthday" I explain and her eyes grow big.

"How did you know that" she gasps.

"I have my ways" I tease as she smiles at me.

"I don't like celebrating my birthday" she explains.

"You're not, I am" I assure her.

"What are you planning to do" she questions.

"That's a surprise. So you go change then meet me back out here" I instruct. She gives off a little huff before she starts to smile at me.

"Alright. Give me five" she finally says.

So I go back to waiting until my girlfriend returns to me about 4 inches shorter than the last time I saw her. I wrap my arms around her and pull her into a hug. She smiles up at me as I squeeze her as tight as I can without hurting her.

"Is this my present? Because this is nice" she claims making me laugh.

"No, because I don't need a special occasion to hug you" I assure her.

"My birthday isn't a special occasion" she defends.

"It very much is so a very special occasion. We can celebrate another year of you, of learning and growing and so many other great things you've done. And just you, no one else" I insist.

"Fine. Lets get this over with" she sighs over dramatically and I smile.

"Absolutely not. You're going to enjoy this" I insist.

I grab her and stuff her into my car. I drive off into the city until we get to the pier. I know she doesn't get to enjoy it all that much but she wants to. So I take her up there and keep my eyes peeled. We get to the outdoor seating of the restaurant by the ferris wheel and I smile to myself when I see a bunch of our friends and family sitting there. There was balloons and streamers and live music going. They did a great job setting up and I could tell they let Kimberly do a bunch of it because there was a lot of pink around here.

Alexis turns to me and I can tell she wanted to be mad at me. She wanted to shun me and act like she didn't want this, but who doesn't want to eat cake and hang out in Chicago with friends and family on one of the most beautiful days? Not even she can resist this.

"Jonny what did you do" she asks.

"I'm throwing you a birthday party" I say as her smile gets bigger.

"I've never had a birthday party before" she claims and my eyes get huge.

"Are you serious" I ask a little ticked that her parents didn't throw her a birthday party. Like ever.

"I'm serious! I wouldn't have had friends that would come anyway" she claims and I shake my head.

"I don't believe you" I insist. She is nothing short of a miracle, a blessing if you will. And it doesn't take much to see that. I don't believe that no one else noticed that before me.

"I'm not lying. I spent my whole life on the ice or with my nose stuck in the book. The other skaters were separated from me because of my advanced skill set so I was always with people older than me. I don't have hardly any of my family around, they were cut off because my parents were afraid they would use me as leverage. I was pretty much alone" she explains.

"Well now I'm here and we have a life together with friends and family and they all want to see you and say happy birthday" I assure her.

So I grab her hand and pull her over to the tables we had reserved. Everyone pulls her into a hug and I smile big. Our friends really did love her and I was thankful people were back in the city today to celebrate her birthday with us. Even my parents made it out and got her a gift. They would be at the Olympics, with me hopefully, so there should be a good representation for her there. They were so excited that they could be there to support her as she tried to do the impossible.

So I let her roam because sometimes I get too clingy, but it's not my fault. So much of my happiness depends on that girl and I know it doesn't take much to remind her how shitty of a situation she was in. I know she's strong, she doesn't need me. But that doesn't mean I can't want her to want me.

Eventually I pull her to the side and give her my present for her. After she stops shunning me she opens it up and freezes in her spot. I smile so big as I watch her pick up her gift.

I got her a pair of brand new top of the line ice skates that were good enough for her. They looked like her old ones but a lot more white this time around. They're supposed to be really comfortable and really reliable, the best of the best use them. But these ones were special. I got the words "my" and "girl" put into the inside part of the ankle of the skates.

Lexi turns to me with tears in her eyes and her mouth just hanging open.

"I don't know what to say" she says barley above a whisper.

"Do you like them" I ask.

"I love them" she insists.

"Well I hope they work out. I tried to get them as close to your old ones as possible but you know, newer" I shrug.

"I love them. This is the nicest thing anyone has ever given to me" she claims and I smile.

"I was hoping" I admit.

She sets the skates back in the box before pulling me into a kiss. And not just any kiss, the type of kiss that you will never forget.