7

Jon

For a while when I didn't have hockey in my life I had a lot of questions that I was a little scared to know the answer to. I wasn't sure who I was without my passion, I didn't have a lot to do or a lot of meaning to my life without this game that I gave my all to. I felt so empty, so let down by the lockout. It's kinda like without hockey, what's the point, you know? And since the beginning of this year not only have I gotten hockey back but I've also found the point of life outside of it.

One of those points is a little girl with some pretty big dreams. I don't know what she'll be when she gets older, but she's going to be the best at it, whatever it is. She's smart and kind and so creative. I love her hugs so much and she is actually the cutest little thing ever. I'm so blessed to have someone in my life that I can watch grow up and take over the world one day. Maybe she'll be a figure skater, maybe she'll be a hockey player, maybe she'll be the first female president. All I know is that there's no stopping her.

Another point I've found to life outside of hockey is a beautiful young woman who is trying her hardest. Hardest to be everything people need her to be. Hardest to keep her dreams alive. Hardest to find the bright side in this mess that she finds herself in. She doesn't see it yet, but she's going to be a important piece to my puzzle and to so many others too. She's intelligent and head strong and so very talented. She's been through some really rough times but she still wants to see this world for better than it actually is and that takes a lot of courage. She's looking for something that she's been hiding and I was hoping to help her find again.

So I go find two bouquets of flowers for my girls and head over to their apartment to surprise them. I didn't have anything to do today and there wasn't a place I would rather spend my free time than with them. I walk up to their front door and stop when I get there. I see a bright yellow paper on the door and I let out a gasp as I start to read it. I didn't need to see the fine print to see the big letters that were stamped across the front. And all I could keep saying was... they're getting evicted???

I knock on the door and wait not so patiently for Alexis to answer. When she doesn't after a few seconds I see if the door was unlocked and it was so I let myself in. When I do I see everything put into duffel bags and stuffed by the front door. Just one big pile of clothing and other necessities stacked up. Only the furniture was still out untouched and I was starting to get scared.

"Alexis" I call out.

I see her come out from the bedroom and she had tears in her eyes. I run over to her and wrap my arms around her tightly. She buried her face in my chest as I hold her tight.

"Lex what's going on" I ask.

"I've failed her" she says softly.

"No you didn't" I say.

"We're getting evicted Jon... I don't know what to do" she whispers.

I press her head against my chest as her fingers get tangled in my shirt. I run my fingers through her long hair as she cried into my chest. I see all of her and Kimberly's stuff by the door and I get a idea.

"Come live with me" I insist and her sniffles stop. She looks up as me as I keep her in my arms.

"I cant-" she starts.

"Stop" I beg. "I want you guys there with me. I don't want you on the streets and I don't want you guys anywhere where you guys might get hurt or anything else like that. I would like to think that we're going to last and that you'll end up living with me anyway. It's just happening a lot sooner than either of us thought" I explain.

"I just... I don't want to let her down. And I don't want this to ruin anything I could ever build with you along the way because I can't keep my ducks in order" she says softly.

"You won't Lexi, I promise you won't" I say.

"Lets see what Kimmy has to say first. Although I can almost assure you I know what she's going to say" she admits.

We go into her room and Kimberly was sitting on her bed playing with her dolls. The room was empty and probably all packed by the door with the rest of the stuff. We go over to where she's sitting and we bend down in front of her to talk to her.

"Hey Kim. You know how we have to move... today" Alexis starts and Kimberly nods her head. "Well what do you say about moving in with Jonathan" she continues and the little girl perks up.

"Like a really long sleepover" Kimberly asks and I laugh.

"Yeah. And you can still go to your school and ice skate whenever you want to" I promise and she smiles.

"Let's go lets go lets go" she cheers as she jumps up. Alexis quickly grabs her and pulls her back in.

"Hold on there missy. There's some ground rules here" Alexis insists and Kim starts to pout. "You cannot go into Jonathan's room or bother him when he's doing something. No experiments in the kitchen and for the love of god... use the bathroom like a girl instead of trying to use it like a boy" Alexis begs and I start to snicker.

"Can I at least bring the dvds of you skating" she asks and Alexis smirks a little.

"Yeah. Those can come with us" she assures her.

So we grab everything and put it into my car. It wasn't all that much but it was enough to make them happy. We go over to my apartment complex and get everything into my apartment. They take the spare room and drop off all their stuff in there. They both would be staying there for the mean time and I just got two really awesome roommates. Eventually Alexis comes out and I still had their flowers in my hands from earlier.

"I know it probably doesn't mean all that much right now, but I got these for you and your sister" I say as I hand them to her.

"It means the world to me, actually" she claims and I smile. She talks a long smell of the flowers before her long eyelashes separate again. She smiles over at me and I get that chill again, like I do every time I remember that she is one of the most exquisite people to ever walk this earth.

"I know that this probably isn't the right time to ask you this but I honestly really need to so I'm going to ask anyway. But will you come on a date with me" I ask and she smiles real big.

"I would be a bad girlfriend if I said no" she claims and I laugh.

"Not too bad of one" I joke.

"Well it won't take us too long to get unpacked and settled in. Once I get her set with a bus to and from school and I can find a sitter for whenever we go on this date, it's a go" she assures me.

"What about this Friday night" I ask and she nods.

"That I can do" she says.

"Perfect" I say.

"Perfect" she repeats.