32

Jonathan

Although I've already brought the Stanley cup home to Canada when we first won back in 2010, I still think it's important to bring it home again. And if I win the cup again after this then I'll bring it back here with me then too. I wouldn't have the chance to win such a trophy without my home, without my friends and family supporting me. I learned how to play the game and I got my love of the game here, and I want everyone to know that.

So we hold a little get together at the Jonathan Toews Community Center. I know what you're thinking... a bit conceded to name a rink after yourself. But I didn't name it and I didn't build it. It was the ice rink I came to love growing up. I often times send money for new equipment and upgrades for the facility and coaches, things to help the growing hockey community be able to put its best foot foreword. So kids like me have that chance to be everything they want to be. I know that I wouldn't be here if it wasn't the opportunities I had when I was a kid, so I wanted to give that opportunity to other kids. Inspire the next generation of great little girls and boys who want to play hockey. So they decided to dedicate the facility to me for putting my time and money into a brighter future. I didn't need them to do that, but it was a nice touch.

Once we get there I sign autographs and take pictures. I hit the ice for the first time since we won it all that faithful night and Alexis joins me. This was also her first time on the ice since she had her procedure done. Kimberly pulls on her figure skates I got her for her birthday earlier this year and we skate around the rink. There was a group of kids trying to hit a puck in the net and I decide to join them. I help the other coaches in teaching and Kimberly picked it up pretty quickly.

"You got quite the talented little friend there" one of my hockey friends mentions as we watch her shoot pucks into the net. Alexis plays goalie and I watch as she tries to make some saves.

"She's a special little kid. She's good at anything she puts her mind to. She says she wants to do hockey because she thinks it's easier than figure skating" I explain as he laughs.

"Well she's partially right. But now there's going to be people chasing her with a weapon in their hands" he claims.

"She'll love it. She would be like Patrick where she's so elusive no one would touch her" I admit.

"You really love that kid, don't you" he asks and I smile.

"I do. She's my second favorite person in this whole world" I insist.

"I'm assuming her sister is your favorite" he teases.

"Unanimously" I smile.

"Man do I wish she was performing for Team Canada, she makes it hard to root against her" he claims.

"You don't have to cheer for her" I assure him. I didn't expect all my Canadian friends to root for her. I mean, it's the Olympics after all.

"How can you not though? I mean she's overcome so much, she has fought her way back into a sport that had been so unforgiving to her. And she did it after everyone gave up on her. How do you root against that" he asks.

"I wouldn't want to know" I admit.

"How do you think the other guys on your Canadian hockey team are gonna like seeing you around Team USA all the time" he questions as I start to chuckle.

"I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of shit for that. But I will proudly wear team USA stuff if it's for her" I insist.

"Those are are some strong statements" he accuses.

"Damn right" I smirk.

After spending the afternoon at the rink we pack the trophy up and go to the children's hospital. I loved going to the children's hospital back in Chicago and it means the world to me to put a smile on these kids' face. So we take the cup and even if they had no idea what this hunk of metal was or what it meant to millions of people, it was still pretty cool to them.

"There's someone who really wants to see you" one of the nurses tell me. So I follow him into a room and set the cup down outside of it. I walk in and find a little boy sitting on the hospital bed looking out the window. He had my jersey on and a mini stick in his hand as he looked outside.

"I heard you're a fan" I start as he quickly perks up. He turns around and flashes the biggest smile I have ever seen on a kids face.

"Jonathan Toews" he squeals as he jumps off his bed and onto his feet. He runs over to where I was standing and wraps his little arms around my legs. The nurse smiles big as I hug him back.

"Hey little buddy. What's your name" I ask.

"Nathan" he says with tears in his eyes.

"Okay, then Nathan, would you like to join me and my girlfriend and her sister in a game of mini sticks? I see you have a stick of your own and we brought ours and a net, we can play two on two" I offer.

"I would love to" he cheers.

"Okay. But just a fair warning my girlfriend and her sister are pretty good" I wink.

He comes out into the hallway and we set up the goals and grab the sticks and a puck. I play goalie and so does Alexis and Nathan and Kimmy play some one on one. And even though ministicks isn't anything like the real thing, to that little boy who was just looking out the window wondering what he had to do in order to feel any sense of normalcy, this meant the world to him. And there's nothing no Canadian believes is more normal than hockey.

We play for two straight hours before he had to go back to his room for the night. He still needed to get treatment and all the good stuff that helps him get better so we return him to his nurse.

"Oh no, you didn't even get to see the cup" I notice as they take it away.

"That's okay. I got something better than a cup. I got to make friends" he smiles really big.

"I had a lot of fun with you Nathan. Maybe when you get better I can have you come out to a Hawks game" I suggest. He lights up and it makes my heart full that I was able to make him look like that.

"Will Kim be there" he asks and I smile.

"Yeah. Does someone have a little crush on her" I tease.

"Maybe" he admits.

"She's a tough nut to crack. But I promise you she'll be worth it" I nod.

"Is that like you and her sister" he pieces together making me chuckle.

"Pretty much" I admit.

"Well then I'll wait" he announces.

"Smart boy."