4

Alexis

It was suddenly Sunday and I was starting to get defeated about getting a callback from the United Center. I needed this ice girl job in the worst ways. It pays better than the diner and it gives me the flexibility to take care of Kimberly on the off days. And I thought I did good with the audition, but I haven't gotten a call yet and I was starting to get worried that I didn't get the job.

Finally my phone goes off and I see it's a unknown number. I pray that it's the Blackhawks and not another bill collector or someone trying to repo me. But after a lot of talking myself up I answer it and put my phone up to my ear.

"Hello" I ask cautiously.

"Hello. Is this Alexis Martin" the man on the other line asks.

"It is" I assure him.

"Awesome. My name is David and I work at the United Center. I'm calling to tell you that you made the team as a part of the 2013 Ice Girls" he starts and I gasp.

"I got the job" I whisper.

"You did. We would like to have you come by the United Center sometime today to come fill out the rest of your paper work and get sized for your outfits" he says and I nod.

"Yes! Of course. And you wouldn't mind if I brought my little sister with me, would you? I don't have anyone to watch over her right now" I explain.

"Of course not" he says and I sigh.

"Thank you. Thank you so much" I smile.

"We'll see you soon Ms. Martin."

I hang up the phone and quickly jump in the shower and change into something not stained or ripped. I get Kim to get out of her pajamas and into something that is public appropriate and we take the bus over to the United Center.

Once we get in I get told to go to the locker room and I realized one little problem... I have no idea where that is. Tryouts were at the practice rink and I've never been in the UC before, surprisingly enough. So I glance around looking for a sign but of course there isn't any because they don't want fans finding their way down to the locker rooms.

"Jonny" Kim yells out as she jumps up and down by my side. I see a big poster with him on it and smile.

"Yeah. He plays here" I say.

"No sissy. Jonny's here" she says and I turn around.

I see Jonathan talking to a few guys and I let out a soft "ohhhh". For a little girl she sure does pick up on things quickly. It's both a blessing and a curse for me.

Before I can say another word she takes her hand out of mine and runs over to him. I was going to chase after her but I wasn't trying to look like the crazy woman who has no control of her kid. She starts to jump up and down at his feet once she gets to him and my eyes go big. The last thing I needed was her to make a scene and he not know what to do or say to her. I was scared she interrupted him or that he's going to act like he doesn't even know who she was.

"I am so sorry" I apologize as I try to get her away from him and whatever conversation they were having that I am sure was important.

"It's not problem at all, I was just thinking about you guys. How's my favorite little girl" Jon asks as he picks Kim up. She smiles big as she looks up at him and I just pray he doesn't break her little heart.

"I'm good! And guess what? Sissy got a job here" she tells him and he smiles.

"Seriously" he asks me and I nod.

"Yeah. I'm supposed to be going to the locker room to fill out paper and get fitted for the uniforms, but I have no idea where that is" I admit.

"I can show you" he offers.

"I don't want to interrupt you" I insist nodding my head to his buddies who were doing a awful job of checking me out subtly.

"We we're just talking about which hotels were the best to stay at when we're on the road. I wouldn't say you were interrupting anything of importance" he smirks.

"Alright. Then if you can help me, again, that would be awesome" I insist.

He excuses himself from his friends and he takes Kimberly and I down to the locker rooms. She sits there in his arms and talks his ear off about how her birthday is coming up and she's about to be seven. She claims it's her favorite number but she says that every time she's about to turn a certain age.

Finally we get there and I see the locker room. There was a few other girls in there and I see a stall up with my name in it. I smile big as I walk over and see some clothes to try on.

"How about I watch Kimberly and you get what you need done" Jonny says.

"Okay" I nod and he smiles at me. We keep eye contact as I walk away before I slip into the locker room.

In my stall was a few different sizes of three different outfits, one was a dress that looked like a really long jersey, another was a crop top and a skirt, then there was leggings and a long sleeved top. I try each one on until I found the right size and told the person who was in charge what size I needed.

After getting the right size on the last outfit I go back to change. On my way back I find Jon and Kimmy in the hallways playing mini sticks and decide to go over there and make sure she's not giving him too hard a time, because lord knows she gives me a hard time.

"What are you guys up to" I ask.

"I'm playing hockey" Kimmy says as she raises her stick above her head like she just speared someone.

"She's actually pretty good" Jon says as he turns to me.

He stops and immediately smiles ones he sees me standing there. I totally forgot that I was still in this silly outfit so I try to be as modest as possible as I try to cover myself. It wasn't that I wasn't proud of my body, it's just that I liked Jon and didn't want him seeing me like this. We knew each other but not well enough to see me half naked. And not for the way he was looking at me. 

"Wow Lexi, you look great" he starts and I start to blush.

"You might have forgotten to mention to me that my six year old sister is going to see me like this when you offered me this job" I tease.

"I'm almost seven" she pouts and I shake my head.

"Not the point" I tell her.

"If it makes you feel any better, you're the most talented ice girl we have ever had" he claims and I giggle.

"It does help a little" I tease.

I get changed and fill out the rest of my paper work so I could get paid. Our first day of training was next week and the hockey season starts up that weekend so it was full force from here on out.

After I was done Jon insists on walking us out. We head to the bus stop and he looks at me.

"Would you like a ride home" he asks and I stop.

"Seriously, why are you so nice to me" I ask and he laughs.

"Because I believe in you" he says and I freeze. "I believe in you as a skater, as a sister, as a strong girl trying to make things right. As far as I know you haven't done anything wrong. And I don't know what happened to you guys that made you end up in this situation, but I don't need to in order to know that I want to help you" he says.

"Well thank you for everything. Since everything in my life that seems to be going so wrong, you feel so right" I say and he smiles.

"So about that ride" he asks and I smile back.

"We would love one."