50

Jonathan

Every year I've been a part of the Blackhawks there's two weeks at the end of November where we go around Canada and the west coast to play away games because the circus is at the United Center. It's become a right of passage at this point in my career. And it's a good trip, you're kinda forced to be with your team and you learn a lot about them. You make bonds and memories that matter at the end of the season, whether you win or lose. As the captain these trips are always important, I can get to know things about my teammates that I wouldn't know if we were home for two straight weeks because we all live our own lives. Now we're forced to be together, and from a team point of view this is a great thing.

But from the point of a boyfriend and a brother, leaving Chicago for so long almost seemed impossible. I was supposed to go two weeks without kissing Alexis and playing dolls with Kimberly? Alexis hates when I'm gone for three days let alone two weeks. I know she doesn't need me here, but she wants me and I want her too.

"You're in Edmonton on the 25th, right" Alexis asks as she scrolls through her phone.

"Yeah. We're in Winnipeg before and Calgary after" I say.

"Well it looks like my first competition is going to be in Edmonton on the 25th too" she says and I gasp.

"Really" I squeal as she laughs at my excitement.

"Yes really, I have to do a few competitions before nationals to get back into the swing of things. Naturally I want to do a international competition to get used to skaters I won't get to see in the states but will see in the Olympics and so my competitors and judges don't get used to me. So Frank got me in at a small competition on the 25th" she explains.

"Seriously" I ask again as she laughs at my lack of ability to retain what she was saying.

"Of course, I wouldn't lie to you" she reminds me. I pull her into a tight hug as she wraps her arms around me.

"I'm so happy you guys are going to be able to see me when I'm gone. I was so worried about being away for so long" I admit.

"There was no way I could have gone two weeks without seeing you. I was bound to find my way back to you eventually" she admits.

"Awww. You're too sweet" I insist.

"I just love you... a lot. And I don't want to be clingy but I really don't want to live without you either" she claims.

"I know baby" I assure her as I squeeze her tight. "But to be honest with you for the first time in my life I wasn't excited to go somewhere for hockey. I wanted to stay home and make cookies with Kimberly and cuddle with you on the couch. I didn't want to leave what I have here" I insist.

"This is your home. That feeling, that's your home. And as long as you feel that way I'll always be with you. Right in your heart where it belongs" she promises.

"I would rather be holding you like this" I admit and she smirks up at me.

"I have to agree with you on that one" she giggles.

"How long until we have to get Kim" I wonder.

"About a hour" she says.

"How about we go... have some fun" I smirk as my hand drops down below her waistline.

"That could literally mean anything from watching game film with you to taking Blue to the park" she shuns as she points to the puppy who was asleep in his little bed. She's not wrong.

"I'm talking about me and you in our room under the covers" I claim and she raises her eyebrows. A mischievous smile takes over her face as she bites her bottom lip. That was my cue to get started and you didn't have to tell me twice.

After that was all said and done we meet Kimberly at her bus stop. We bring her home for a rare night in where there was no hockey and no figure skating. So Alexis prepares us a great and healthy meal and Kimberly and I play Mario kart because I had to practice my gaming skills. Being on the road means a lot of video games and I couldn't let Patrick beat me. Not again.

"Why are you so mad" she asks as I lose to her... again.

"Because I'm getting my ass handed to me by a 8 year old in Mario kart. That's embarrassing" I defend.

"No one knows" she tries to calm me down.

"I know" Alexis yells from the kitchen and I send her a glare.

"It's not about winning or losing, it's about trying" Kimberly says and I turn back to her. I give her a big smile as she smiles back.

"Thanks kiddo. Unfortunately my friends aren't as nice as you. Not even my girlfriend" I mumble.

"Heard that" Lexi teases and I laugh.

"Come one Kim. Lets do best 6 out of 11" I try.

"But I have homework" she remembers.

"That's not important" I insist.

"Jonathan" Alexis warns from the other side of the couch and I let out a huff.

"Fine! Lets take a look at your homework" I say as I grab Kimberly's bookbag. She shows me what she's been doing in class before pulling out a piece of paper. She shows me her drawing and I couldn't help but feel that home feeling that Alexis was taking about earlier.

"Lookie! I drew our family. It's you and me on your shoulders. Then there's Lexi and Blue playing around" she explains as she point to the next part.

"That's beautiful Kimmy, you've got quite the talent there" I admit. For a 8 year old it was pretty good.

"Can we put it up on the fridge" she questions.

"Of course. Come on" I say as I grab her free hand. We skip over to the kitchen where Alexis had the place smelling amazing. I inhale deeply as whatever it was she was fixing passes through my nose.

"What smells so amazing" I gasp as I let out the inhale I took in a second ago.

"Stuffed pork chops" she says as she shows me. They looked incredible.

"What's it stuffed with" Kimberly questions as I sit her on the counter where it's safe.

"Things I trick you into eating with the good stuff" Alexis teases.

"I knew it" Kimberly yells and I just shake my head.

"Alright. Lets get your picture up" I say as I take it from her. I grab a magnet and place the picture on the fridge.

"Wow Sissy, that looks amazing" Alexis gasps.

"It's our family" she says again and I smile.

"It's our home" I say.