52

Alexis

Finally, after a long week away from Jonathan I finally get to see him today. Well... we get to see him and his family. They play here tomorrow night and they've already been playing great this road trip. They really picked back up where they left off last year. Kimberly and I never miss a home game and I even get to catch up with my old ice girl friends when given the chance. But never do we get to see him in a away game unless it's for the cup. So it was cool to come out to his turf and have a tour guide before I skated tonight.

"I'm just so happy you're here" Jon insists as I sit in his arms. He hasn't let me go since he met me at the airport this morning. Not that I minded any.

"I missed you too" I tease.

"How have you been little one" he asks Kimberly as she strolls along beside me.

"Pretty good. My medicine makes me a little tired but now sissy hives me coffee to wake me up" she explains as my eyes get big.

"You aren't supposed to tell people that" I remind her as she starts to blush.

"Oopsies" she giggles as I roll my eyes.

"Don't worry. You're secret is safe with me" he winks.

After grabbing a bite to eat and finding Jons parents we head to the ice arena. I liked to be here early and Frank was already here checking the ice out to make sure it was up to par. Naturally I was a little nervous for the first competition of the year, but I was excited too. I don't come out with all my bags of tricks at the first competition but this routine was still fun and exciting for me.

So we hang out in the friends and family area while Kimberly raided the food spread. Jon still had a hold on me as we talked to his parents. My head rests on Jon's chest as for the first time since he left I felt right at home.

"How long are you staying out here" Andree wonders and I sigh.

"Just until Tuesday. We have the comp today then we're staying to watch Jon play here tomorrow then it's back to the grind back in Chicago" I explain.

"Well that sucks" she admits.

"You got that right" I agree.

"Well how about we go out after your competition tonight? We can get ice cream or hot chocolate. Whichever you prefer" she insists.

"Is both a option" Kimberly questions.

"For you it is" Bryan promises. He had such a weak spot for Kimberly, but in his defense everyone did.

"Then it's a date" I smile.

"It's a date" Andree smiles back.

After a while it's time for me to get ready. So I change into my red leotard and skirt and do my hair and make up. I stretch before everyone takes the ice for warmups. I had my earbuds in as I warm up jumps and turns and leaps, whatever I needed to be able to perform this routine.

I return to the holding station where we can watch other skaters compete. I close my eyes and zone out as I go to my happy place. I imagine being back in Chicago with Kimberly and Jon on the beach. In my dreams Kimberly isn't sick and Jon isn't so famous and we can just be a happy little family. There's no ice around for miles as we just exist for once, instead of always living. I know that this isn't what I want or what I need, just some fantasy where if things were different we could still be together. But a girl can still dream.

I feel a tap on my shoulder and open my eyes. Frank tells me it's time to go and I toss my stuff into my bag. I follow him out to the ice where we wait for the person who was going before me to finish up.

"Are you nervous" he teases like he does before every competition.

"Nooo. I'm just trying to make the biggest comeback in the history of my sport. No pressure" I joke back.

"I don't get why you get so nervous, honestly. You're the most insanely talented skater we have ever had in any country. I would put you up against any skater, male or female, and my money is on you every time" he claims.

"It's not that I don't believe in my skills or this routine. You've done everything I needed as a coach and as a friend. You literally pulled me out of the ashes and now I'm on my way to the Olympics. I couldn't be here without you and I hope you know that.

It's just... for the longest time this sport was so mean to me. It tainted me with reminders of who I could have been. And now I'm here and I'm where I'm supposed to be. All I have to do now is perform, and that's what makes me nervous" I explain.

"That's so silly. You just being here makes it must watch skating. Now that your name is back into the mix people are talking about figure skating again. Kids are tuning in just to see what you will do. Hoping they can be the next Alexis Martin" he states proudly with a huge smile on his face.

"I still gotta be the first Alexis Martin" I remind him as he chuckles.

"It's never just black and white for you huh" he asks and I shrug.

"There's so many other colors, why do I have to choose between black and white" I question.

"Well thank you for taking this old black and white coach and showing him how to live in color. I've worked with many incredible athletes, but you're my favorite" he whispers as if it was a secret.

"You're secret is safe with me" I wink.

After a pretty decent performance I watch and cheer along the rest of the girls from the sideline. Some I knew, others were new as I introduced myself and talked to them. Although it's a competition it's still good to have allies. We're allowed to cheer for one another and often times did, it's what made the sport so great.

I ended up taking first place and got a gold medal to show it off. I, of course, give it to Kimberly who appreciates it a lot more than I ever will. I'm here for the memories of her raiding the cookie platter and hanging out with Jon and his parents. Things like that is what I'm going to remember most.

"You were incredible" Jon claims as he pulls me into a kiss.

"Thank you. I had a lot of fun out there" I admit.

"I hope you're ready for some more fun, because there's a ice cream parlor callining our names" he assures me and I smile.

"I can't wait."